Author Topic: Jigs for white perch???  (Read 6058 times)

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
Jigs for white perch???
« on: Jan 03, 2015, 03:24 PM »
Any of you target white perch? Here in Maine we normaly dont get many large yellow perch but we do have some big white perch. Any tips on jigs and where to order them would be great. Fish on............ :icefish: :icefish:
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
Re: Jigs for white perch???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2015, 04:12 PM »
Seems like APJ should be the guy to help you out. I have really done a lot of jigging for whites in the last 2 seasons. Seems like glow reds or whites work well. I don't notice a big difference in style horizontal vs verticals but what works for color can change from one hour to the next.
Caty jigs and northland are some of my go to  brands. I go as small as I can find and use the smallest minnows you can get too. Once you find a school the fun starts. I'll set traps and when we get a flag go jig sometimes 15 fish out of that hole until the school moves.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2015, 08:55 PM »
A Hali type spoon crushes 'em

Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:22 PM »
White perch are an invasive species in Lake Champlain and it can be tough to find a school of them...but when you do the action is nonstop.  I am a big fan of of a light or UL rod with 3lb line.  Lighter line gets beat up quickly by the schooling fish, but heavier line and heavier rods will miss bites. I use vertical jigs and spoons tipped with spikes, and blue/white or blue/silver are my best colors. Kodiak perpetual motion, hali's, clam blade spoon, and clam bomb are my favorites.  I switch trebles out for singles to get them unhooked faster.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2015, 08:15 AM »
You don't eat those do you?  :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
<===Lefty===

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:36 PM »
You don't eat those do you?  :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
White perch are delicious! The huge haul was split between a few friends but i filleted and froze probably 300 of them last year. 

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Wow thats a pile.... Thanks for the help I will order some. Where is the best place to order some of these jigs? Also, I am not super familure with the sizes as far as weight. Some places I fish are 9-12 and some may be as deep as 30'. So what sizes should I be looking to buy? In the past I have used a super duper as well as a split shot with 1/2 smelt.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:07 PM »
That's a wicked good day there!!!!!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:43 PM »
Forgot to mention that kastmasters also work great. I have never fished white perch anywhere except Champlain, but if you can find the school here you can literally catch them until your fingers bleed. I've seen groups hauling 800 pounds off the ice to sell at $0.40/lb.  I've fished them from 30-90' and the school can be on the bottom to right under the ice, so a flasher is very helpful.  Spoon weights are 1/8 to 3/8, they don't seem to be shy so I tend to fish heavier.

Offline peterk814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Been catching more white perch than ever this year.  I fish a 2 jig rig.

I cut a piece of 4 or 5 lb flourocarbon 16 inches long.  i tie a swivel at 1 end, and a mustad hook snap at the other end. I tie a dropper loop 6 inches above the mustad hook snap. 

The hook snap makes it easy to change out jigs and jig colors without having to retie your leader.  On the dropper loop I will fish a tiny tungsten or other moon type jig.  Caty's, moons etc.  My favorite is Fiskas in a 6mm size. Neon yellow with black spots is my favorite color.

On the bottom I'll use a 1/10oz swedish pimple.  Red or green or nickle are my favorite colors. 

Tip with spikes or wax worms or even minnow heads. 

Double headers galore.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2015, 02:39 AM »
WOW that's a nice pile of fish.  I'd be happy with that haul any day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.