Author Topic: How do you like your Thorne rod!  (Read 7854 times)

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How do you like your Thorne rod!
« Reply #30 on: Sep 10, 2012, 09:41 PM »
They're awesome!
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Sep 10, 2012, 10:00 PM »
Got me a noodle on the way! I know I'll like it  ;) I Wanted one lat year but settled on the trip wire after two months of waiting! This one will be here way before they run out of blanks! And if you Plan on getting a Thorne rod, there will be quite the wait following the show I am sure.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #32 on: Sep 11, 2012, 03:06 AM »
Got me a noodle on the way! I know I'll like it  ;) I Wanted one lat year but settled on the trip wire after two months of waiting! This one will be here way before they run out of blanks! And if you Plan on getting a Thorne rod, there will be quite the wait following the show I am sure.
That's why I have three of them being built right now.  I also tried to get a power noodle last year and ended up getting a trip wire instead.  Which I'm glad I did cause I love that setup.  Two of the three will be equipped with trip wire.

On my rods with recoils I did add a drop of epoxy at the tip.  They leave the blank exposed after wrapping the tip guide on and that blank is kinda sharp.  So that's an idea for ya Reel Force...kinda helps give it a finished look.  You could also take the tip guide off and look in mudhole.com to see what they have for tip tops that will fit that blank....wouldn't cost much at all for just a tip top.  If you have mudhole send you a catalog they have actual sizes shown so you just place the tip on the page to see what size you need and start shopping.
]

Offline NB7314

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Sep 11, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Just got my quiverstick today looks awesome!

Offline Crazyforgills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Sep 11, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Love my TB rods, but I agree that laker rod looks pretty bad.  Hope u can get it the way u want.
Steve

Offline Todd_NE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Sep 11, 2012, 09:08 PM »
I LOVE my TB rods!!!

The 24" Sweet Thing is the rod I never ever leave behind. I can catch small bluegill to nice walleyes with it.

The buyer can get any set of guides he or she wants - including a traditional tip guide - or not. I ordered a custom 39" MH Spooning Rod for walleyes last year and I had one set of guides but went with a traditional tip guide - I just like the look.

Talk to the guys there for 5 minutes and you'll get exactly what you want.

THANK YOU TB!!!!  :bow:

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Sep 19, 2012, 08:17 PM »
That's why I have three of them being built right now.  I also tried to get a power noodle last year and ended up getting a trip wire instead.  Which I'm glad I did cause I love that setup.  Two of the three will be equipped with trip wire.

On my rods with recoils I did add a drop of epoxy at the tip.  They leave the blank exposed after wrapping the tip guide on and that blank is kinda sharp.  So that's an idea for ya Reel Force...kinda helps give it a finished look.  You could also take the tip guide off and look in mudhole.com to see what they have for tip tops that will fit that blank....wouldn't cost much at all for just a tip top.  If you have mudhole send you a catalog they have actual sizes shown so you just place the tip on the page to see what size you need and start shopping.

I just added a new tip ... but that sorts defeated the purpose of buying a custom rod at that price ... I do admit some of the Thorn Bro's rods are sweet !  I would also check into Austin Custom rods - ya get the same quality for a lot less.  I would really give Gregg a call there and talk to him !!! Outstanding !

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Sep 20, 2012, 12:54 AM »
Glad to hear ya got your  TB rod customized a second time to your liking.  I had Gregg make me a rod last year with a St Croix spring bobber.  Its a very nice rod but not quit a quiver stick tho as far as sensitivity or weight.
]

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Sep 20, 2012, 09:02 AM »
Nothing like the real thing!!!
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Sep 24, 2012, 06:23 PM »
I got my custom Thorne Quiverstick in the mail today.

I must be cursed because every rod I get from them has a flaw. On the first 28" panfish sweetheart I bought 6 years ago the butt cap fell off a couple days after I got it. Now this new Quiverstick is flawed also. I had them write my initials on the rod. Well they reversed the last two of the 3 letters and wrote the wrong intials on.(paperwork has it right) Not a big deal but my OCD is annoyed. Can't win.....

I will try to get some pics of the new rod up when I have a chance. No ice, pics are nice.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Sep 24, 2012, 07:35 PM »
DJ...just curious if you contacted them about it??  Everytime I order a rod from them I worry that would happen since my last name is not common at all.  So far they have got all 9 of em right with a tenth in the works...prolly just jinxed myself  ::)
]

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Sep 24, 2012, 07:54 PM »
I was not going to bother contacting them. It is really not a big deal and the writing is sealed underneath the finish. I just know if I ever order a rod from them again I will skip any and all writing. Thought I would get something nice and simple written on it and it bit me. :unsure:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Sep 24, 2012, 08:04 PM »
They will either whip you up a new one or peel the epoxy and correct the initials. If the paper work is right and your check cleared, have them fix it. You paid absolute top buck for an ice rod... 80% of the price was labor. They messed the labor up. There is plenty of time to get another before ice up. :)

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Sep 24, 2012, 08:07 PM »
I've been waiting on my noodle for over three weeks now. Should of had it last Thursday but Speedee seems to have lost it. Been waiting to slap my new ice tech reel on it and take it jigging over the boat with the flasher. Guess I'll just have to wait.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Sep 24, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Well you have a point Skipper. I usually am not one to fuss to the manufacturer about something little. Maybe I will contact them and see how much shipping costs. I double checked the packing receipt and the online receipt and the only error is on the rod.

Philly I ordered mine 8/30 and got it today, shipped the 19th. So they probably are a little busy.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Sep 24, 2012, 08:27 PM »
It's a one day transit time to my neck of the woods. I work in a shipping department. They shipped it last Wednesday, and the tracking number attached shows nothing, as if it doesn't exist. Talked to TB earlier and they said Speedee has lost it and will contact them tomorrow about it.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Sep 24, 2012, 08:34 PM »
Oh I did not mean the shipping company did not lose it Thorne just  took a while. Would not surprise me at all if the shipping outfit lost it. If they don't break it it gets lost half the time. :laugh:

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Sep 24, 2012, 10:05 PM »
On the wrong initials....your being way to calm. If I screwed up one of my customers rods like that A) I would understand your call, B) You would get a full new rod ASAP, And C) you would get a 50% refund and free shipping back to me and back to you.......

Just sayin. Its they're eff up, the least they could do is ship both ways free.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Sep 24, 2012, 10:47 PM »
I sent them an e-mail. The return authorization thing on their site did not work for me.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Sep 25, 2012, 07:42 AM »
The shipping company lost my rod form TB earlier this spring too.  Luckily it was there a few days later and undamaged.  I called TB and they went out of their way to locate the package and let me know when it was going to be delivered.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Sep 28, 2012, 11:28 PM »
Well after three and a half weeks I finally got my power noodle. I am throwing my old ultralight away! The backbone on this rod is amazing! I can't wait to fish through the ice with it. I think I will try it out this Sunday with my new reel on some perch. I do believe that his will be my last Thorne rod though. With the 5" Sweetheart handle and outside rec guides, it came to 85 bucks,which I expected, and 102 after shipping!!! Over 100 bucks for an ice rod is crazy.  Pretty sure my last two rods were tax free but I may be wrong. And shipping was over ten bucks this time. Thought it was only three in the past. The speedee website quotes shipping at  four dollars. I know my quiverstick with outside rec guides and a fly handle weren't near as much.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Sep 29, 2012, 04:56 AM »
Philly, I have 2 power noodles with outside guides and no orange tip I got a couple years ago, if I remember right they were 68 bones a piece then. It sure is a nice rod, but for me not 100 bones nice. I hope you get some good enjoyment out of it.  :-\

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Sep 29, 2012, 10:40 AM »
What I ordered about a month ago.

TB Custom Quiverstick 23" - $43
4" Finnesse handle - $8
Fuji Inside guides - $8

Rod $59
S&H $13.75
Total $72.75

The receipt was a little confusing it listed tax but did in the end did not charge tax.

When I bought my 28" panfish sweetheart like 5 or 6 years ago I could have sworn the shipping was $13.75 and then you had to pay $3 for a rod tube.(The extra $3 for rod tube irked me) It seems the overall shipping price went down. That 28" Sweetheart Rod was around $50 I believe.

I took the advice from a few here and shipped the rod back to them last week to have the initials corrected. UPS ground cost to ship back through my UPS account was around $9.40.

Is the TB Power Noodle rod much different than the Frabill Quick Tip or Mitchell Meat Stick rods? I already have a 24" Meat Stick and 27" Quick Tip but keep reading people raving about the power noodle. I was thinking that Power Noodle with those stealth REC guides would be neat. I would really like a rod with their locking tennessee handle. But a power noodle with those guides and handle will run $135 without shipping. :'(

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Sep 29, 2012, 11:41 AM »
I checked out the Fenwick Elite ultralight today and that thing bends all the way back into the handle! A buddy of mine said he's lost a lot of fish in hookset last season due to this. I still can't believe the backbone in the power noodle... That's just crazy.

I'm interested too if anyone has a comparison on the JM meat stick?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Sep 29, 2012, 01:04 PM »
Both my Meat Stick and Bro Quick Tip rod has a real stout backbone. For the price the quality is very good on both rods. I would rather buy american or at least non China when I can even if that means double or triple the price. Since I already have those two rods with a light tip and heavy backbone I would hate to spend a decent chunk on something I basically already have. i seem to remember someone here making similar rods.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Sep 29, 2012, 05:27 PM »
I think it just comes down to how you fish and if a high priced custom ice rod is logical.  If all you do is kick bobbers than no way but for me I only fish one rod 90% of the time and am tight lining for panies so the high quality rods I appreciate.  When I do fan out with bobbers my TB rods aren't being used.  I admit that their rods are high priced when outfitted with recoil guides but those guides weigh nothing and are nice when fishing outside.
]

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Sep 30, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Powernoodles have a much smoother transition to that solid backbone. The meatstick has a super soft tip but then goes quickly into all backbone. They are nice but much more fragile than the Powernoodle...
Here is a picture of a Powernoodle in action by my father...

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Sep 30, 2012, 10:40 PM »
Are you the guy from Thorne Bros?

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Sep 30, 2012, 10:51 PM »
Are you the guy from Thorne Bros?

Huh?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Oct 01, 2012, 08:06 AM »
My mistake.... I thought you were someone else. User names are kind of annoying sometimes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.