Author Topic: Question for users of Straight Line or Fly Reels  (Read 6898 times)

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Question for users of Straight Line or Fly Reels
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:33 AM »
Easy I spent more money on a reel (okuma fly reel) with a great drag.  Yesterday I landed a bass just shy of 4.5 lbs on 3 lb test.  Had my drag not worked flawlessly I never would have landed that fish because man did it run.
Shane

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:53 AM »
So far this year on plastic schooly reels lost 2 white pegs and one D drag washer, the nuts keep coming off and loose all the time and one plastic knob that you reel in with broke off. My $30 fly reel is still working like a champ and will last 30 years or more.

Offline allcaughtup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:55 AM »
I am always looking to get the best with the money I have...I take pride in my gear...whats funny is I am always first of my buddys to buy something and I get what I want and dont go cheap...my buddys trying to keep up hurry and buy the cheapest they can find and are dissapointed when just looking at mine..lol...not to mention my gear last years longer...when you spend the money to get what you want to take care of it better

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:17 PM »
Liked my schooley but it doesn't compare with my eagle claw inline. The upgrade is amazing. Guys must not have used them yet, to think that a schooly is just as good. Shouldn't knock em if you haven't tried them. Schooleys are alright if you're satisfied with them.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:34 PM »
My bucket holds 6 schooleys 1 black betty and 1 black betty 6061.  I dead stick with the schooleys incase I miss a bite and they go down the hole and my black bettys are for deeper water.  Buy what you can afford.  I ran with schooleys for 17 years before I upgraded and I am glad I did.

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:27 AM »
I've only had a chance to use my straightline combo twice so far. It is a Cabelas combo and balances nicely. My one reget is I wish I would have purchased a reel that had a button that would allow me to shut-off the "clicker." I only fish in 10 feet of water but prefer to reel my panfish in, so after every fish it was clickity click....as i pulled line back off. Just something to think of when buying a straightline reel.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:50 AM »
Those Hi tec reels would make a nice boat wench.
I also prefer the smaller plastic reels, I don't like the added weight of the fly reels.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Personally, not really a fan of any of the straight line reels now that I got to try one. Just not for me. I cant hold the reel in the pistol grip I'm used to. I'll stick to the tiny pflueger trions, they work great for me.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:20 AM »
Love my Pflueger Medalists.  The drag is very sesative and they hold a lot of backing. I'm using some of the larger ones I borrowed from my salmon fly rods. Nice to know I have all that line and a great drag system when I'm after togue or landlocks.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 03, 2013, 03:50 PM »
I love the crappie inlines from B&M or BPS.  No line twist. Has drag and bait clicker. Never use a spinning reel again!!!
BUD

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:51 PM »
I enjoy the highest quality I can afford.
Some enjoy the cheapest equipment they can find.
Does not make me better or them worse.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:01 AM »
It is like a car or truck,a cheaper car or truck will get you to your destination just as good as an expensive car or truck. Just a matter of choice. I,myself make my own rods and then buy the nicest reel I can afford.  Jerry

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.