Author Topic: Ice rod recommendation?  (Read 6617 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice rod recommendation?
« on: Jan 27, 2011, 11:51 PM »
  Looking for an ice rod that allows me to feel the lightest nibble when the reel is spooled up with Fusion Micro Ice.  Loved my Bro 24" ultralight until a design flaw in the reel(last year's model) caused me to snap the rod in half.  I replaced the rod with a JM 24" Meatstick which is nice, but not for my style of fishing.  Besides the Bro series rod, can you guys recommend any others I should take a look at for my style of fishing?

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice rod recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:32 AM »
The St Croix gets rave reviews, not having fished mine yet, I cannot confirm the review.  I also ordered a 32"TB Panfish Sweetheart and plan on getting a Quiverstick.
As far as commercially available rods, I've got a couple of the hole hoppers and they're alright for that purpose, though they don't handle anything over a size 12 jig really.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:44 AM »
I have used my Thorne Bros Quiverstick in some situations this winter that required being able to detect the very slightest nibble and it has excelled. I love it for that very reason.

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:32 AM »
If I see a fish on the screen come up to my bait and just sit there without feeling a nibble I will yank anyway and you would be surprised how many times there is a fish on.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:35 AM »
That or a Thorne Bros Power Noodle as it will detect the smallest of bites.

Craig

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Thorne Bros.  sweet pea is 10 X better than the St. Croix Legend.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline pannyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:28 PM »
I know it is pretty similar to the Bro Series, but the Ice Hunter by Frabill has been great for me.  I have two of the 22" quick tips, which are designed for the light crappie bite.  I love them for all panfishing-they are very sensitive.  These are my only two rods that I don't have spring bobbers on.   I would recommend getting the rod only and then buying a decent reel separately.  Hope this helps.

pannyjigger.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:41 PM »
Now, when you guys are saying "sensitive" you are meaning you can FEEL the bite, NOT see the bit due to the soft tip, correct?

Jim

Offline pannyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2011, 01:06 PM »
I can both see and feel the bites with the Ice Hunter Quick Tip.  I usually hold the rod so that my finger is extended onto the rod.  I could "feel" all the bites that I was seeing, and this is with some fairly lite biting bluegills.

pannyjigger.

Offline Ice Cream Headache

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:49 PM »
I don't have one, but I saw some St. Croix Avid series UL ice rods that looked really nice.  Might be worth checking them out.  They were $25 (CDN), so only $5 more than the Premier rods.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:16 PM »
In basic retail, I've always trusted my St. Croix Premiere rods.  The 28" UL is a tad bit more forgiving vs the 24" UL.  They kind of lack any backbone for fishing so I like to run 28" ML much better.  They still do a good job at bite telegraphing to the hands.  If I had to compare the JM Meatstick (original) I'll say the Meatstick feel dull.  Visual rod tip flex is wonderful, but couldn't tell if fish is swimming left or right.  I just crank away.  It has it's time and place, plus it's great for keeping fish centered in the ice hole.

I do like my Thorne Bros. rod - just becuase I paid a lot for them.  Good sensitivity for bite detection and telegraphing, but they're much better for fish fighting than anything else I've used and working the lures.  Panfish, Perch, and Walleye Sweathearts.

Lots of good rods out there, that just needs some good hands to use them.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Panfish Popper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Won't, go fishing without my VEXILAR
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:02 PM »
St.Croix legend, my personal favorite  :)
First time ever having a good day!

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2011, 11:41 AM »
I have many rods, many strike indicators but I find by far the Marmish strike indicator are the most sensitive, you don't have to feel anything, you will just see. They dont get by me when I am fishing with this tip other that I am too slow to set the hook when they bite, Lots of guys have different rigs and opinions and I think you just need to try different rods, tips etc. to find out which one is best for you. My experience is the Marmish indicator

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2011, 01:02 PM »
st.croix premier 28" UL

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:55 PM »
st.croix premier 28" UL

Tell me about the action...  Plenty of backbone?

Jim

Offline benny4117

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Fishing
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2011, 12:40 PM »
Have only been ice fishing a few years now...i like my first rod that i ever purchased, the Shakespeare Cajun Ice pole.  Its super sensitive and can feel and see everything.  Its realtively in-expensive pole but i like it

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Cajun Ice Rod...25" UL pulled in a sturgeon that can't fit in an 8 inch hole.   ;D  Awesome rod, beast deadsticking rod i've used from small fish to sturgeon.  Kind of like that clear red rod blank look.  Too bad the newer ones are Fuel Ice Rods.  IMO they're aren't as nice looking, but still close to the same.  The newer Cajun Ice Rods have a more traditional black rod blank now...should've just called that blacken pepper rod instead.  LOL's

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2011, 02:34 PM »
I have all HT rods. Yes they're cheap but there are some models out there that are just amazing. For instance the Slick Ice Combo is nice (reels may vary), and the Red Hot Ultra Light Combo (silver reels may vary, black or red reels are good). I have home made spring bobbers on the Slick Ice Combos for perch and the Red Hot Ultra Light I leave as is because it is just awesome at bite detection.
Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. ~Bill Hicks

Offline JoeJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Becky and Grampa Joe
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:46 AM »
Light action Uglystik is another good one.
I have 2 of these and 2 heavier action, and they are all I need.  ;) (for now ::))

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2011, 12:51 PM »
I can both see and feel the bites with the Ice Hunter Quick Tip.  I usually hold the rod so that my finger is extended onto the rod.  I could "feel" all the bites that I was seeing, and this is with some fairly lite biting bluegills.

pannyjigger.

I agree with pannyjigger. The quicktips from Frabill are awesome for light biters. I have the 26" Ice Hunter Quick Tip that I use for pannies and love it. The bro series has a 27" & 32" QT and the Ice Hunter has the 22", 26" & 40" QT.

Offline davejohnson2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2011, 01:06 PM »
man i didnt know rod selection was so important. i just walk into gander, grab a rod that i think is nice and that is lite enough to detect bites but still has backbone, walk out on the ice and catch fish

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2011, 01:10 PM »
I use Genz Stix (light to med.) with a HT reel. Best thing is no need for a spring bobber for those nibblers you can feel the slightest bump.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:06 PM »
man i didnt know rod selection was so important. i just walk into gander, grab a rod that i think is nice and that is lite enough to detect bites but still has backbone, walk out on the ice and catch fish

Now you know and will probably catch more fish with the proper rod. ::)

Jim

Offline davejohnson2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:58 PM »
Now you know and will probably catch more fish with the proper rod. ::)

Jim

i do use the proper rod, UL for small stuff and Med for the biger stuff, i just am not going to pay 60+ for a rod.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:16 PM »
I can catch fish with a soup can, some line, and basic tackle, but the rod is an important tool to working the jigs and getting different feed backs.  One rod will tell you if you're jig is fouled up, but another rod couldn't tell you even though both rods are designed for just the type of fish you're chasing after.  That can make a lot of difference between a fish just staring at your lure or biting it.  Sometimes it doesn't matter, but someday, it makes all the difference between icing some fish or just staring at the flasher.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:28 PM »
  One rod will tell you if you're jig is fouled up, but another rod couldn't tell you even though both rods are designed for just the type of fish you're chasing after.  That can make a lot of difference between a fish just staring at your lure or biting it.  Sometimes it doesn't matter, but someday, it makes all the difference between icing some fish or just staring at the flasher.

Exactly.  I am looking for a rod that allows me to concentrate visually 100% at the flasher and FEEL the take.  I find with the meatstick, or my other rods with a spring bobber, I am constantly going back and forth between looking at the flasher and looking at the rod tip.  Before I broke my Bro Series Ultralight, I only looked at the flasher.

Jim

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:02 PM »
 Exactly.  I am looking for a rod that allows me to concentrate visually 100% at the flasher and FEEL the take.  I find with the meatstick, or my other rods with a spring bobber, I am constantly going back and forth between looking at the flasher and looking at the rod tip.  Before I broke my Bro Series Ultralight, I only looked at the flasher.

Jim

If it weren't for my Thorne Bros. Rod, I probably would look into some of those Bro Series or Ice Hunter Series from Frabill.  I much rather prefer ceramic guides over the stainless steel guides only on the St.Croix Ice rods.  That's the only other thing why I like the 28" UL Premier more than the 24" UL Premier.  I felt that the 28" was a little more forgiving and had better hook set and strike detection.  It may be just the way I hold it in my hand, a sort of balancing position.  I still take my eyes off the flasher and look at my rod tips.  It's just typical method.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:54 PM »
You can use a broom stick with a spring bobber or float and catch fish.KISS you all know what that stands for.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 09, 2011, 03:35 PM »
  Looking for an ice rod that allows me to feel the lightest nibble when the reel is spooled up with Fusion Micro Ice.  Loved my Bro 24" ultralight until a design flaw in the reel(last year's model) caused me to snap the rod in half.

Buy the same rod without the reel, and put a higher end reel like an abu garcia orra s or orra sx on it.......

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 10, 2011, 01:11 PM »
you shouldnt have any problems with the st croix's.   i have all sizes and makes of the st croix and they all perform great.

i do not like the spring bobber tho on the legends.

fenwicks look like they have great sensitivity as well. might try a few this season.

never had a bro rod yet but hear great things about them as well.  little pricey tho for my taste.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.