Author Topic: Tungsten jigs.  (Read 6683 times)

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tungsten jigs.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:16 PM »
Pics like that  will  get me to try them !!!

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:32 AM »
IMO the best thing about fishing tungsten is the ability to fish a smaller jig in deeper water
Dave

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 17, 2011, 11:24 AM »
There is one thing about  tungsten that  most people on the shanty dont  realize.  And that is the fact that tungsten is lighter, not heavier than lead.  not to take anything away from  them - they work great.

But you all have computers -- google  a "periodic table of the elements" and see for yourself.   Look at hydrogen --- lightest element there is.   It has an atomic weight of 1.   Look up lead -- the symbol is Pb. It has an atomic weight of 207 ( 207 times heavier than hydrogen).   Tungstens symbol is W.  Its weight is 183.  Still pretty friggin heavy,  but  not as heavy as lead.  If you have two jigs the exact same size and shape -- on lead and one tungsten,  the lead one will be heavier. 

I think this was pointed out in another thread, but in case any of you missed it, atomic weight has nothing to do with how dense something is. Tungsten is much denser than lead and compared to a lead jig of the same size may be 70% heavier.

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:58 PM »
I think this was pointed out in another thread, but in case any of you missed it, atomic weight has nothing to do with how dense something is. Tungsten is much denser than lead and compared to a lead jig of the same size may be 70% heavier.

Yes,  we  were chuckling  about that  on the ice  today.    I  broke down and  tied on a tungsten  jig.  The other guys  kept lead on.   We  unhook a gill , rebait,  and then we  would   go

"on your mark -- get set -- go"  sometimes I  would get to the bottom first with tungsten, sometimes they would.  The key thing was that the time it took   to drop  bait,  then  come  back up with a bluegill on the ice  was about the same --- LOL   

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #34 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:59 PM »
then dont use them u just dont know what your talking about :o

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:10 AM »
Use what ever you have that works I would say tungsten out fishes led four to one for me the line is straight and I can detect strikes better.JMO

Live to fish forced to work

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:02 PM »
Use what ever you have that works I would say tungsten out fishes led four to one for me the line is straight and I can detect strikes better.JMO

I'm with you tatoo ---   everybody has their own favorite lures.  Doesnt hurt  to try different things,  and its also ok  to  go back to your  old stand by lures.   

There's no need to be rude, eh Ronbo ?

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:51 PM »
I'm just joking around u need to use what u have confidence in

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:23 AM »
I'm just joking around u need to use what u have confidence in
Thats kewl Ronbo ---  we like to horse arround a lot, too.

I  just dont want to loose sight of the fact that there is a low-tech  side  to ice fishing, too.  I  have a flasher,  heaters  with O2 sensors,   electronic ignition  in my auger ---  all high tech  stuff that costs a lot of money.      And the stuff all gets marketed as though  you "need" these things to catch fish.    sometimes  that may be true,  but usually it isnt.

I mean --  I love  the ultra sensitive  jig  poles ---  but I  will still have  a couple of Schoolies  in  use.  Most of the time (certainly not always) I will get a hit and if I dont get  to the schoolie fast enough it will "peg" the spring  bobber.   At that point   line curl isnt an issue,   or  a small split shot isnt a problem,   horizontal vs vertical doesnt affect it.   Getting to the Schoolie  before it swallows the hook is more the issue.

Every day isnt like that.  Most days when we fish we get a "spell" when they  are biting good.  Then we get a "spell" when  they  slow down.  Then  maybe it will  pick up again.     Thats  pretty much normal, right guys ?   I'm not over simplifying it, am I ?

If there would be a nitch for me for  the tungsten jigs,  it would  have to be for the instances where  the bite has slowed down, but there are still fish on the flasher.   If they did a better job of  picking up  those fish --    that would be a good  fit.

The low tech solution to  periods of slow bites --  get the stove out -- heat up some soup.  walk arround and get your feet warmed up,  go shoot the breeze  with the guys nearby.   Then  go back and get after them  again.    I think either method of fishing is acceptable, and I think they  both work equally well.  :-)

Offline nick bonvillian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:36 AM »
if you read the new infisherman mag there is an article in there about tungsten jigs it should clear up any debate i just read it today and ill be ordering some tungstens because of it

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 20, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Tailchaser check the Jigging board to be sure but I believe a company called Bentley Jigs makes Tungsten jigs. There is also a Swedish firm ProScandinavia that carries a few tungsten jigs among their product offerings.

I have ordered from both these sites and am very happy with the results fishing wise. The Bentley Jigs are very pricey but the quality is very high. I have had some quality issue's with the Fiska's on the last few Batches I have ordered. Hooks breaking  off , color issues,  ,bad solder jobs where the hooks are not secured and spin in the jig head.  I think the demand is so high for the Fiska's that they are getting pumped out of the factory with out the quality control.  They fly off the shelves around here and are hard to get.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.