The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: OPEN WATER FISHING FROM SHORE IN PIONEER VALLEY  (Read 401 times)

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
OPEN WATER FISHING FROM SHORE IN PIONEER VALLEY
« on: Feb 26, 2024, 02:37 PM »
Went out today to check a few ponds in Springfield area...most have 30-50 ft of open water. On one there were two  giuys  fishing. I went over to one and while we were talking he brought a 14" rainbow.  and release it..told me  it was his 6 he had released.. He said something that answered a topic that was posted here about low attendace at the iceshanty site. He said he starts fishing every year on Jan 1st on the Swift River until there open water on ponds/lakes. He saisd he was a ICE  RIVER FISHERMAN......Think about that......You dont need tip ups or  auger ...and all the other equiipment   you dont fish cold days...you fish warm days and we had a lot of the warm days the last 2 yrs. And if the weather people and clilmate people are right  we are going to see a lot  of warm winters.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: OPEN WATER FISHING FROM SHORE IN PIONEER VALLEY
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2024, 03:06 PM »
A lot of tailwater fisheries like the Swift and Farmington fish well throughout the year.  I saw an interesting tip from a Deerfield river guide that said you should look for days that hover around freezing when fishing in colder months, like 32-38.  Granted this is for areas with some snow pack but warmer days will cause snow melt which in turn drops the temp of the water and shuts down the fishing until the fish acclimate.  I think after a couple more weeks I'll be switching out the bibs for the waders.  Steelhead drop back fishing should be ramping up as well.  Always forget those guys spawn in the spring and anywhere with smelt they are spawning now and will be heading up river to drop their eggs.  The ones I have been catching are loaded w eggs.  Good luck in whatever you choose.  There is def a couple weeks left of ice in the hills.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2024, 05:58 AM »
Yes the last few years if we don't have ice I know a couple spots that freeze that much and will toss shiners on bobbers. It's so much fun watching fish eat each other.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2024, 06:49 AM »
Ive been using the boat every month this winter in NY.  Its been great.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2024, 07:51 AM »
Ive been using the boat every month this winter in NY.  Its been great.

Yessah!  I'm uncovering mine soon.

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2024, 09:07 AM »
batteries are charging as we speak ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.