Author Topic: crappie fishing  (Read 3114 times)

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
crappie fishing
« on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:38 PM »
i fish a tourny in whitney point for crappie i have been doing the tourny for 3 years and have not caught any any suggestion on how to catch them.

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
Re: whitney point crappie fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:09 PM »
In the Mouth ive heard ;D

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2010, 10:58 PM »
In the Mouth ive heard ;D

not much help there

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2010, 06:35 PM »
not much help there

Fine, with a hook then..........

They tend to suspend so if you are not fishing with electronics you have to fish up off the bottom. What I whould do before I got a flasher would be to drop my jig all the way down to the bottom and start jigging and reeling every couple of minutes until I caught a fish. I would remember how may cranks on my reel till the fish was out of the hole (like my reels, tica cetus' are 20.5inchs per crank IIRC). then I could get back down quick.

I have also caught more crappie with smaller baits/jigs than with larger and do not use a bass fishing hook set, their nick name is not "papermouth" just for giggles.

J-

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: crappie fishing
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2010, 09:03 AM »
I was looking at the map of that lake and there is a pretty big river channel that runs through it.   I would think you'd find them suspended in that channel.

Offline steveks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2010, 09:36 AM »
On the lake that I fish the most the crappies suspend just above the brush piles and will follow a jig up until they hit the point of eat it or let it go. All my Stikes might happen at 15' but they normally follow it up from 25'-27'. If I try to jig at 15' nothing so I always drop down and jig then bring it up very slow. Good luck.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:02 AM »
I live in Whitney Point and have fished that lake for years. From what I have learned from that lake is that the crappie seem to be in the deeper waters in the later part of the winter. If you are only fishing this lake for the Crappie Derby, then you may want to try there. There is a web site for the Crappie Derby and it has a pretty good map that shows the lake and it's different depths. Good luck and we will see you at the derby. The ice is really getting thick and mabe,just mabe,the derby will go on as scheduled.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2011, 01:41 PM »
i fish a tourny in whitney point for crappie i have been doing the tourny for 3 years and have not caught any any suggestion on how to catch them.

fished it for 3 yrs and no fish. I got to think its a operator issue
what are you doing tipup/tipdowns/ jigging

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:12 PM »
fished it for 3 yrs and no fish. I got to think its a operator issue
what are you doing tipup/tipdowns/ jigging
jigging. and maybe tipups

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2011, 05:40 AM »
looks like you have it covered. We use tip downs with a fathead minnow on them and jig as well. I usually have good luck with the minnow but not so this year so far. Mabe the crappie will  wait 'till the derby to start biting.

Offline fenwick2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:47 PM »
try fishing it when the derby is over , the pressure turns the fish off ...  too many people / wheelers on the ice.  I do well with fatheads / rosies on a glow jig . see people doing great with tipdowns also on that body of water. And There are plenty of better places to get crappie then whitney

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:22 PM »
But we want to catch the crappie on that lake during the derby. I've fished several Crappie derbies over the years and last year I  caught my first Crappie Derby crappie. Mabe this year I can catch 2 of them. Good luck to all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.