Author Topic: Swedish pimples/ changing hooks out? treble vs single?  (Read 7029 times)

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
I read on here alot of guys swap out the treble hooks for the single hook. i did a couple of mine up tonight. the single hoooks that come with the pimples are not that great, do any of you replace them with a good brand hook like gamagatsu and do you have to get the ringed eye hooks, or will standard hook work? im useing the smallest pimples for perch/ panfish. thanks guys!

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Swedish pimples/ changing hooks out? treble vs single?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:41 AM »
I read on here alot of guys swap out the treble hooks for the single hook. i did a couple of mine up tonight. the single hoooks that come with the pimples are not that great, do any of you replace them with a good brand hook like gamagatsu and do you have to get the ringed eye hooks, or will standard hook work? im useing the smallest pimples for perch/ panfish. thanks guys!

You can get several different ring sizes.......some standard hooks dont work well and mess up the action for jigging....ive yet to find a perfect one so i am interested responses

Offline hispeedlodrag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Ironeagle,

Had to respond to this one...Was fishing the Antero tournament last Saturday here in Colorado. I had the tournament winning Rainbow trout on and he straightened out the treble hook on my swedish pimple...and lost him...looked like 9 lbs+....7.2 lbs won......wont make that mistake again !!!!

I am still looking for strongest singles to replace the trebles on all my pimples.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:47 PM »
I think the style of hooks we'd be looking for are Siwash, which are what is traditionally used to replace treble hooks on baits like spoons and crankbaits. I'm just not sure what manufactures carry a siwash small enough necessary for Pimples.

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2010, 01:29 PM »
I think the style of hooks we'd be looking for are Siwash, which are what is traditionally used to replace treble hooks on baits like spoons and crankbaits. I'm just not sure what manufactures carry a siwash small enough necessary for Pimples.

I switched some of my pimples to GAMAKATSU siwash #10 as my single hook. These are hard to come by but did get a pkg from BP. As for strength, I think they do the job. Never caught a 9 pound rainbow, but they do very well on our Canadian lake monsters.
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2010, 01:40 PM »
I switched some of my pimples to GAMAKATSU siwash #10 as my single hook. These are hard to come by but did get a pkg from BP. As for strength, I think they do the job. Never caught a 9 pound rainbow, but they do very well on our Canadian lake monsters.

Yeah, I wasn't able to find anything on BP under an 8. Anything by Gamakatsu should definitely be fine; I use their hooks for fly tying and caught plenty of sizable rainbows, steelhead, and salmon on a size 12 Gammy.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2010, 05:01 PM »
I've used Mustad bass wide gap hooks and Owner drop shot hooks.  If I had to replace with something more economical I would use the Matzuo sickle hooks, because they're similar in shape to the Owner drop shot hooks.

If I really wanted to get rid of my trebles. I would cut them into double hooks first before going single.  I've had much better success with just the double hooks.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:14 PM »
thanks guys, sorry to hear about your rainbow, yea i to think those trebles are very thin and bend easily. im goin to look into those gamagatsu hooks, i tyhink thats exactly what im looking for... only thing its hard to get sizes down cause each company seems to have dif. sizes of say like a standard size #10 hook.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2010, 05:37 PM »
okay so i changed out some hooks for the singles, and my catch increaased big time. hooked almost every fish that hit, even got alot of gills on the small pimples. i would def, reccomend goin to a single hook. and they are ALOT easier to remove.

Offline Phouvieng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:52 PM »
and they are ALOT easier to remove.

So true. Not only from a fish's mouth, but clothing as well. Doh!  :-[

Offline snuffcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:36 PM »
I've used the small gold hook on a chain that comes on  Hali jigs. Works well.

Offline FishingNy03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:40 AM »
i have all diffrent size pimples, from the small ones for perch 1 inch long to the big ones that are about 3-4 inches, what size hooks should i get, when switching to the singles???

Offline Fredric

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Sweden
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2010, 01:29 PM »
You can get several different ring sizes.......some standard hooks dont work well and mess up the action for jigging....ive yet to find a perfect one so i am interested responses

I like the trebles much better but smaller than those on the Swedish Pimple. I use size 10 to 16 and put glue and/or yarn on them. Instead of rings you could use dropper clips that makes it very easy to switch between single and treble hook and diffrent sizes/models out there on the ice.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:49 PM »
i have all diffrent size pimples, from the small ones for perch 1 inch long to the big ones that are about 3-4 inches, what size hooks should i get, when switching to the singles???

If you go with single hooks go one or two size larger than the treble or match it to your target...
typically crappie and perch = size 2 to 8
for walleyes =  size 1 to 4
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.