New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1092998 times)

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing tomorrow morning, I love Mondays. How thick is the ice there?

Gam

Hey Gary - did you make it out on Superior today?  What are the conditions like?

Miles

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking at the week forecast looks like weather gunna be on our wide finally

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Gary - did you make it out on Superior today?  What are the conditions like?

Miles

Went to the other place where we fished last year but higher up. Ice is still pretty weak IMO but had a nice day with pals. We still need a week or two with bitter cold and no rain or snow before thing get set up the way I like it. Other buddies fish Superior and do pretty good with perch and crappie and a few slime darts that are decent size. If they are not after Trout or Walleye I stay home.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
Went to the other place where we fished last year but higher up. Ice is still pretty weak IMO but had a nice day with pals. We still need a week or two with bitter cold and no rain or snow before thing get set up the way I like it. Other buddies fish Superior and do pretty good with perch and crappie and a few slime darts that are decent size. If they are not after Trout or Walleye I stay home.

Gam

Thanks Gary!  The weather improved, but still not getting that bitter cold night after night. Heading to Wolf Lake Saturday for an annual outing there. Hoping the weather agrees with us. Soon I will get back to that place for the trout

Offline LetItBePike

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi everyone. I’m new to texting here, mostly reader) also fairly new to ice fishing. Gamalot could you tell me more about Wolf lake, is it open for everyone? Another question about superior lake, is it safe to go there yet? Thanks, can’t wait to get out on the hard water.
I better be fishing

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hi everyone. I’m new to texting here, mostly reader) also fairly new to ice fishing. Gamalot could you tell me more about Wolf lake, is it open for everyone? Another question about superior lake, is it safe to go there yet? Thanks, can’t wait to get out on the hard water.

Wolf Lake is totally a private lake and you must have homeowner permission to be on it. I don't fish Superior at all but some guys here are fishing it now and some doing quite well on perch, crappie and slime dart pickerel. Safe is a rather personal term and I am sure there are some relatively safe sections on Superior now but certainly not on the entire lake. I would say if you do go then go where ever you see others already out. We are in the midsts of a strange season here and I think about everywhere so just be careful.

Gam

Offline LetItBePike

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you for the answer! I’ll try Superior lake on Saturday, as i remember there is access from boat launch.
Last Friday went to 7 lakes park and sterling park to see lakes conditions. All of them had ice but most of it was about inch-inch and a half. Also planned to hit swan lake tournament, but it was cancelled. Hopefully we will have some cold days this year, still.
I better be fishing

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thank you for the answer! I’ll try Superior lake on Saturday, as i remember there is access from boat launch.
Last Friday went to 7 lakes park and sterling park to see lakes conditions. All of them had ice but most of it was about inch-inch and a half. Also planned to hit swan lake tournament, but it was cancelled. Hopefully we will have some cold days this year, still.

Check regulations ..bring a buddy ,spud/chisel and have a action plan/exit strategy ..most lakes in Sullivan Co are private list of lakes in Region 3

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7940.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
LetitbePike welcome to Ice Shanty and the Southern NY. thread . Hopefully our area gets an extended cold  weather period to build and keep ice. The Swan Lake contest has been rescheduled for Sunday Feb.23 . Please modify your profile so it contains your general location this helps other members when they try and answer your questions.
  Steve

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular

The Palisades Park Commission will not allow ice fishing until the ice is at least 6" thick. You will see red flags, that means no ice fishing, green flags you are good to go.

Offline Icehoggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody fishing eldred area yet?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
LetitbePike I'm not familiar with 7 Lakes park but Bowski76 is correct the Palisades interstate park commission that manages Sterling Forest,Harriman, Rockland Lake and Fhanstock state parks in New York has a policy of not opening lakes they allow ice fishing on until there is 6 inches of ice and uses a red/green flag-banner by those lakes to indicate if a lake is opened or closed. Below is the phone numbers for Visitor's Center in Sterling Forest and the Lake Tiorotti field office in Harriman plus one for a bait shop.

I do not mean to bash the park commission but strongly suggest anyone planing a trip to Sterling Forest or Harriman call before leaving your home. This is just my personal opinion but the parks need more rangers so ice conditions could be checked on a daily. I've seen only one small lake/pond in Sterling Forest be open even after a week or more with high temperature below freezing. I also ask other members of this website to please not fill this thread with negative posts about the park commission after I've made this statement. Thank you

Sterling Forest Visitors Center (845)-531-5907 believe center closes at 4:30PM  ,Lake Tiorotti Field office Harriman State Park (8450-429-8257 assume this office has hours similar to Sterling forest.
Davis Sporting Goods  (845)-753-2198   On the North bound side of route 17 in Sloatsburg,NY.

Steve

Offline LetItBePike

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you everyone for answers, I will bring all necessary safety equipment espesialy at this crazy weather. Im familiar with Palisades Interstate Park Commission, they helpful, but kick my ass once from lake with red flag which I didn't see ;D
Thank you Steve for number, I love that bait shop, they usually stock pretty good. Lets hope ice will build well next couple days.
Does anyone ever fish North-South lake in catskill? I went there last winter and did pretty good on pickerel.
I better be fishing

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
North south was just posted on another site 5 inches sketch edges

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
LetitbePike happy to be of some assistance to you,thank you for updating your profile with location. i don't know your fishing plans but here are two lakes in Orange county you may want to visit I have not been out scouting lately so no idea on ice conditions. In the town of Monroe on Lakes road is Walton lake this is a special regulation trout water ice fishing is permitted check DEC website for all the regulations  small DEC access spot on the lake maybe parking for 10 cars. If you head towards Sullivan county get off of route 17 at exit 116 make a left turn at end of exit ramp your now on route 17K in the town of Montgomery is Winding hills park main body of water in this park is Diamond lake(40acres) yellow perch,blue gills, sunfish and large mouth bass. County park similar ice thickness deal as Sterling forest phone numbers for ranger station and closest bait shop to this park are below call to see if lake is open for fishing.

Winding Hills park ranger station (845)-457-4918    Tom's Bait shop (8450-733-4642  small mom-pop place from route 17 exit 116 make a right at end of exit ramp take route 17K to intersection with route 17M in Bloomingburg make a left the shop is on prosperous Valley road a right turn off of 17M give them a call for directions once on Prosperous Valley road you will see sign for shop in front of house shop is in garage.

If you go to the Forums page once logged in and scroll down the page you should see New York reports& Ice conditions forum in this is a topic/thread titled Small Waters southern Albany-Greene(counties) last report for North-South lake is by member Tipup28 here was there on Sunday(Jan.26TH) reported tricky shorelines and 4-8 inches of ice on the lake with water on top at that time.

I'm sending you a personal message with info. on another lake in Ulster county  if you are not sure how to see the message post here and I or hopefully some other member will give you directions.
Stay safe and good fishing to you.
 Steve

Offline LetItBePike

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you Steve, it’s a lot of helpful information. I’ll definitely visit this lakes, if weather permits ;D
I better be fishing

Offline Matt_Perch

• IceShanty Rookie
LetitbePike happy to be of some assistance to you,thank you for updating your profile with location. i don't know your fishing plans but here are two lakes in Orange county you may want to visit I have not been out scouting lately so no idea on ice conditions. In the town of Monroe on Lakes road is Walton lake this is a special regulation trout water ice fishing is permitted check DEC website for all the regulations  small DEC access spot on the lake maybe parking for 10 cars. If you head towards Sullivan county get off of route 17 at exit 116 make a left turn at end of exit ramp your now on route 17K in the town of Montgomery is Winding hills park main body of water in this park is Diamond lake(40acres) yellow perch,blue gills, sunfish and large mouth bass. County park similar ice thickness deal as Sterling forest phone numbers for ranger station and closest bait shop to this park are below call to see if lake is open for fishing.

Winding Hills park ranger station (845)-457-4918    Tom's Bait shop (8450-733-4642  small mom-pop place from route 17 exit 116 make a right at end of exit ramp take route 17K to intersection with route 17M in Bloomingburg make a left the shop is on prosperous Valley road a right turn off of 17M give them a call for directions once on Prosperous Valley road you will see sign for shop in front of house shop is in garage.

If you go to the Forums page once logged in and scroll down the page you should see New York reports& Ice conditions forum in this is a topic/thread titled Small Waters southern Albany-Greene(counties) last report for North-South lake is by member Tipup28 here was there on Sunday(Jan.26TH) reported tricky shorelines and 4-8 inches of ice on the lake with water on top at that time.

I'm sending you a personal message with info. on another lake in Ulster county  if you are not sure how to see the message post here and I or hopefully some other member will give you directions.
Stay safe and good fishing to you.
 Steve

Anyone know of Waltons ice conditions? I fished there this summer and really liked it and wondered how the ice fishing would be.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 LetitBePike ,you are welcome bit of a trip up from Queens to ice fish hopefully you find your definition of safe ice on the lakes I mentioned this weekend .Keep checking this thread for info. on lakes.

Matt_Perch hopefully I can get out tomorrow afternoon and on Friday to do some scouting if I go to Walton Lake will give a report on ice conditions.

Just for everyone knowledge there is a topic/thread for Sullivan County small waters in the Reports&Conditions forum for NY. not sure how much use it gets so be sure to check the date of any posts you see .

Steve

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
They just had to rescue a couple of guys on North South lake to !

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Wetdreams thank you for posting about the rescue at North-South Lake in the Hunter-Tannersville area of Greene county.
Hardwaterdiehard thank you for the hyperlink to story on the rescue. Definitely need to use a spud to test the ice and make a small hole to look at ice thickness before pulling a snowmobile or ATV out onto the ice with the weather we have had in southern,NY. and the Catskill mountain region this Winter.
 Steve

Offline TopherFishes247

• IceShanty Rookie
Long time, no posts ! Been quite a few years, just stopping in to see who all is still around ! I know a couple of the old members now reside down in Florida, and I'll be back up in a couple weeks to fish on Highland lake.

Offline Norse27

• IceShanty Rookie
Anybody have a condition update on Highland Lake in Eldred?  Going up for our annual family trip, and just wondering if I'm packing my sled and gear or not...

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone been to Chodikee Lake lately and know how the ice is? I was on Loon Lake in the Adirondacks last Sunday and found a few perch and gills.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anybody have a condition update on Highland Lake in Eldred?  Going up for our annual family trip, and just wondering if I'm packing my sled and gear or not...

I don't give safe ice reports but I did drive over to Peck's last weekend and observed lots of open water on Highland and no one out on the lake. No activity around the Sand Beach bar either. No idea what the recent cold might have done but IMO it is still not ready unless you find a cove away from any winds. You might get a real report if you call the fire company because I think they are the ones who hold the annual contest.

Gam

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good evening  I was able to do a scouting trip this afternoon. Walton lake (Town of Monroe ,Orange County) is a no go for ice fishing part of the lake is still open water area by DEC access spot just skim ice one light tap from my spud had water coming onto the ice. Diamond Lake in Winding Hills park (Town of Montgomery,Orange County) is still closed to ice fishing. Chodikee Lake (New Paltz-Highland, Ulster County)  might be possible it was getting dark when I got there saw evidence of someone fishing earlier in the week or last weekend.  I walked out around thirty feet from the weed line on western shore opened an old hole 3 inches of ice most of it white. Last Saturday's rain melted what snow cover there was now frozen so easier pulling of sleds with gear.

TopherFishes247 welcome back guessing you forgot your password and had to register  again hope all is well with you and the family. I know some members who were frequent poster's to this thread still stay in contact with each other through Face Book and E-mails. I exchanged personal messages with Jimmy Claude last ice season told me you are also now residing in Florida if my memory is correct.

Have a good weekend folks,good fishing to everyone be cautious on this year's thinner ice.
 Steve

Offline Skylands27

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the updates! Anyone know how white or any of the lakes in the bethel area are doing? I'm heading up in the am.
Mike

Offline loustru

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody know if the Barryville Sportsman is still in business and selling bait? the phone number is disconnected and I'm also looking for ice reports for the Eldred area. Thanks, Lou.  ;D

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
There were people out on White Lake yesterday on the thicker sections of ice. A lot of the lake does not have safe ice. Toronto Reservoir has 5 inches in the cove at the launch but the deeper areas are not safe.

Offline LetItBePike

• IceShanty Rookie
Went today to Lake Superior, 2-3 inches of ice from boat launch. Some guys go to the middle of the lake and said that there was about 4 inches of ice. Bait was slow, got small pickerel on tip up and that’s all. Drive by white lake, there was couple people on ice.
I better be fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.