Author Topic: Problems with catching Pike  (Read 5580 times)

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
Problems with catching Pike
« on: Jan 16, 2003, 10:31 AM »
I constantly get flags but for some reson I always  go up to my tip up and either my baits gone or there's tons of line out and my baits fine.  Whats happening?
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

RSQCAL

Re: Problems with catching Pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2003, 04:55 PM »
Theres a good chance the tension on your tipup spool is to tight. If possible lighten up the tension. Also check that the line is wrapped evenly. If the Northern is taking plenty of line then leaving go chances are it is feeling a pull or tug on the line befor it has a chance to swallow the hook. Taking the minnow with out taking line out is almost always do to the spool hanging up. Hope this helps.  :'( :'(

twisted_rod

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2003, 05:35 PM »
hey? when pike take minnows they take them tail first then run short ways with it pause and flip it around head first to eat. this is the best time to set the hook.[wait for the pause] good luck.

Uncle_Musky

« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2003, 04:20 PM »
I like waiting a good minute or two before i set the hook on pike.give them a chance to swallow it. you dont want to loose a big pike because you got impatiant.also check your drag on your spools,any tension and pike will drop it.
good luck. just set it and forget it.

dogman

« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2003, 06:59 PM »
Yes i agree with what musky said.Let em make that big run and when they stop to turn the bait rip them lips.I heard smelt work good for pike to but havent gotten around to tryin them. good luck flags forever!

piker

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2003, 05:42 AM »
We have used the quick strike rigs for the past two years and they are great, we never get any fish that we can't release - never give them the chance to swallow it.  I firmly believe in them and I don't remember ever missing one that has made a run for it.  Usually hook in lip or roof of mouth, easy to get hooks out - both of them.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2003, 06:02 AM »
I agree with piker, use a quick strike and don't give them a chance to swallow it. I have never really had problems with jacking their jaws when they make a run either. Plus why would take the chance of gut hooking a fish that you don't know the size of. you don't know if it is a 5lb northern or a 25 pound northern.

bluefingers

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2003, 06:57 PM »
Sometimes what I'll do when I'm using big bait is put the flag back down till it pops again.That way you'll know the pike has flipped it and is swallowing it on the second run.9 times out of 10 you can set the hook now.Especially if your getting a lot of hit and runs.

Offline velocty98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2003, 07:10 PM »
try a trailer hook attached to about 25# mono and hook the treble hook in the tail. it also causes erratic movement of your bait which can also trigger a strike.

piker

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2003, 09:29 AM »
We use a quick strike rig and it i sthe only way to go for catch and release northern action.  Don't miss any and usually hooked in roof of mouth.   We us a 50# test line with a 30# test flurocarbon leader and have increased lur catch ratio by 100% so far this year.  No more steel leaders for us!

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2007, 01:41 PM »
quick strike rigs are definately the best..  you usually won't miss the hook up, you can set the hook right away, and probably won't gut hook them..   trebles work good too, but you have to time the whole setting thing right to make sure you get them, and to also make sure you don't gut hook if you're not keeping them...

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2007, 09:43 PM »
I know some people like to wait for the second run - not me - If the spool is moving I set the hook - they don't have the bait tucked under their fin and are runnin with it. I agree with the above, a quick strike rig will certainly help you to put more fish on the ice.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2007, 08:52 PM »
QUICK STRIKE RIGS ALL THE WAY :tipup: ;D

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2007, 09:03 PM »
do you face your hooks towards their head or towards their tail?  I had best luck facing it towards the tail and using a little bit bigger hooks, then waiting for them to pause.  That was until a few years ago when someone on iceshanty told me about the quick strike rig.  You can down size your hooks and grab it while they are running.  I bet i haven't missed 1/10th the pike I did with plain hooks.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2007, 09:08 PM »
do you face your hooks towards their head or towards their tail?  I had best luck facing it towards the tail and using a little bit bigger hooks, then waiting for them to pause.  That was until a few years ago when someone on iceshanty told me about the quick strike rig.  You can down size your hooks and grab it while they are running.  I bet i haven't missed 1/10th the pike I did with plain hooks.

i only use size 2 and 1 trebles. 1/0 was too large for me and made the bait look very un natural. i keep the hooks about 3 inches apart so theres a hook near the tail and one near the front / head

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2007, 12:12 AM »
Run faster and set hook with authority

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2007, 05:15 AM »
I agree with making sure that your line comes off the spools freely. A big pike did not get that big by luck. If they feel anything that may be wrong to them, they seem to spit it or make a screeming run and tare the bait from the hook. If your tackle is running smooth you should not have to do anything special.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.