Author Topic: Pike Location this time of year?  (Read 2330 times)

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pike Location this time of year?
« on: Feb 06, 2018, 12:09 PM »
Hey guys wondering if I could get some insight on where I should target pike this time of year in the water column. I have had luck both shallow and deep but i understand that a transition takes place with pike typically and they move out deeper before the thaw? is this true and does anyone have any insight or suggestions?
In located in mass and the ice pack this year is good but we are having small thaws and re freezes. I am a firm believer in fish where the bait it so to speak.
Drill um and fill um........

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike Location this time of year?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Depends on the lake a bit I think, but I've found a lot of the larger pike will stay out in the deeper water and come in to the shallower areas to feed on occasion.  I have my best luck fishing where there is a transition from deeper water to a bay.  I even had one come in, hit the deepest tipup, then hit another about 30 yards shallower.  I know it was the same fish because when we got him up he had both hooks in his mouth.  Talk about a tangled mess of line.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Depends on the lake a bit I think, but I've found a lot of the larger pike will stay out in the deeper water and come in to the shallower areas to feed on occasion.  I have my best luck fishing where there is a transition from deeper water to a bay.  I even had one come in, hit the deepest tipup, then hit another about 30 yards shallower.  I know it was the same fish because when we got him up he had both hooks in his mouth.  Talk about a tangled mess of line.
Funny you say that i have seen this also, caught it on video, fish snapped my buddy off then my other buddies kid caught it it with the rig still in its mouth, was a 20lb fish.. But yah , big thing with pike is you want to fish bright sunny days mid season when you can, and use medium plus sized bait.. They really dont get on thw big stuff until real late ice..  If you can find a nice vegative flat or point near deep water thats a prime spot right now.. And by deep water i mean like 15-20’ , I’ll add they rarely feed when they sit that deep , you are better off setting up shallow with the hopes one comes in to snack 😎
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback very informative  :tipup:
Drill um and fill um........

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:40 AM »
 also, very soon, the big females will be coming in to the shallows to spawn