Author Topic: Enclosed trailer for ice fishing / summer use  (Read 2102 times)

Offline ndfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Enclosed trailer for ice fishing / summer use
« on: Jul 09, 2020, 04:36 PM »
Does anyone have advice on purchasing a new enclosed trailer and converting / furnishing this for ice fishing and also using it on the off season as a camper?  I'm finding used campers can be a lot of work depending on the previous owners maintenance or lack of it.  I was thinking of a tandom axle 7x16 and furnishing it like the brand name shacks.  The plan was to insulate it well and use sleaves to reach the ice instead of making it sit on the ice.  I'm looking for ideas on good and bad brands of trailers and any photos or descriptions of what people have done already.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Enclosed trailer for ice fishing / summer use
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2020, 08:53 AM »
you can search this site easily by going to google and type in
enclosed trailer site:"iceshanty.com"
Click on images and you'll see pictures of everyone's builds

My suggestion is to get bigger than you think you need, get a vnose, lots of folks suggest aluminum frame, have a good idea of how you're going to drop it down to the ice, address insulation and hvac to suit your needs. Think about how you're going to haul it out on the ice, organize your stuff and keep it light enough to be manageable

Catchin' Fish

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2020, 08:45 AM »
Might want to look at a Yetti shell ice house. All aluminum, already super well insulated, drop down so no sleeves, 8x16 bigger than 6.5x16. Older model used priced at about $8,000.00. By the time you get a trailer, insulate, add windows, doors etc. your cost may be the same.

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2020, 03:18 PM »
I have a Legend full aluminum 7x27  snowmobile trailer. It has Catch Covers in the floor and we use sleeves to slide down to the ice.  I have an RV furnace in there, spray foam under the floor. Fully insulated. I mountain ride sleds so having the heat is nice for that. We have slept overnight in the ice with it fishing. It works, but the biggest drawbacks are it takes a ton of snow to bank it in. If you don't bank it the holes freeze fast. The other draw back is being so far above the water surface. You have to be right over the hole to see a bobber,which is hard on the neck.  Landing bigger fish sucks.

I also tend to not go fishing as much, because of the hassle of unloading the sled gear, loading the ice fishing gear, then switching back. I don;t have a lot of free time, so I want to be able to just hook up the trailer and go when the opportunity arises.

I am in the process of designing a new Ice Castle and will leave the other trailer set up just for sledding and will use for early ice fishing with the wheeler and portable.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2020, 01:28 PM »
Ye, spearchucker said it... Ice Castle would be the way to go. I think making your own out of an inline trailer would cost you more than buying it purpose built.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.