New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Slammer Brown on Gleneida Today 2-11-11  (Read 6521 times)

Offline troutstalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Slammer Brown on Gleneida Today 2-11-11
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2011, 07:01 PM »
Mike,
Very well stated. I actually can't wait till Gleneida thaws and I can troll it again! BTW, that isn't me with that slammer laker. That was another guy I know. What a fish though!
Let's just give it a few more minutes!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:10 PM »
Sorry about that Trout! I assumed that was you when you posted the pic a while ago. I remember that if was toward late afternoon on a Sunday and I was jigging down at the south end when the gentleman pulled up that laker. I took the pic of him as he did not have a camera. He gave me his email and sent it to him later in the evening. Never heard from him again! Haha! After seeing that laker it motivated me to come back as much as I could before the ice went out. Got a total of 17 lakers and 4 browns, two which were 8.5 pounders. None of the lakers were anything big however. Biggest was about 25". Our family is acquainted with an elderly gentleman who is in his 80's now at a local nursing home. In 1985 he pulled a 23 lb. Laker out of Gleneida! I have pics of the mount that I will scan and try to post. Truly impressive!

Mike

Offline KenDOdoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Fished Gleneida today  He's my PB Brown

That's a fish of a lifetime...wow.  Epic!
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemien business that, when gone about properly put you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:32 AM »
Fished Gleneida today  He's my PB Brown

That's a fish of a lifetime...wow.  Epic!

Ken, I've been fishing Gleneida since the early 70's and never came close to a brown like this one.  Certainly my Lifetime acheivement for me (so far)! And the crazy thing is there are much bigger in there. That's what keeps me coming back!

Good luck!

Mike

Offline KenDOdoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:53 AM »

Mike, you've got me dated...it's been about twenty years, and not even close to the time logged on Gleneida like yourself.  I have fished the shore quite a few times.  More so in the 'twenty year ago' period. What remains the same is the commitment needed to fish Gleneida.  Ice fished it once with blowin' winds and no flags. I heard of a lucky high schooler fishing the shore after school and catching a 19# brown back in the day...early '90s.  Remember Red across the street...he knew that lake was special and he told everyone too.  However,you know better than I just how special that fish is.
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemien business that, when gone about properly put you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2011, 11:15 AM »
Nice brownie Mike.  Your gonna have to teach me some tricks when your up sometime at either Indian or Blue.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Bill I will be up thurs night. Planning to hit either 4th or Lewey on Friday and then Sat will be going to IL  ;). If you want to get together let me know. I already PM'd Scott but he's not sure yet. Haven't heard from Brad either maybe he wants to go too? Let me know! Good hearing from you.

Mike

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2011, 11:29 AM »
Mike, you've got me dated...it's been about twenty years, and not even close to the time logged on Gleneida like yourself.  I have fished the shore quite a few times.  More so in the 'twenty year ago' period. What remains the same is the commitment needed to fish Gleneida.  Ice fished it once with blowin' winds and no flags. I heard of a lucky high schooler fishing the shore after school and catching a 19# brown back in the day...early '90s.  Remember Red across the street...he knew that lake was special and he told everyone too.  However,you know better than I just how special that fish is.

Ken I remember Red well. He was quite the character. All those freaky mounts he had in his shop used to be in his house in Yorktown! He did quite a few game heads for me. I was schooled on the drudgery of Gleneida by an old friend of the family who is still alive in a local nursing home. He used to take me on Gleneida when I was a kid and we'd hammer rainbows in the middle of the night. In 1985 he caught a 23 lb. Laker that he fought on 4 lb. Test for over an hour! He still has the mount and I believe he won some sort of an award for it that year. The fish hung in the Mohegan Sportsman for a long time too. I learned a lot of old tricks from a patient of mine as well who fished these local reservoirs for 50+ years. Most of the laker techniques I know I picked up from friends and old timers up in the Adks where I have a
camp. The only thing I enjoy more than laker fishing is bow hunting elk!

Mike

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2011, 11:36 AM »
Red, that guys was something else with his cowboy hat and all, sold him a bunch of furs I had picked up in Iceland and Norway. So convenient, park, get bait, go across the street, get in boat, 5 minutes in trout waters...

Offline troutstalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 13, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Sorry about that Trout! I assumed that was you when you posted the pic a while ago. I remember that if was toward late afternoon on a Sunday and I was jigging down at the south end when the gentleman pulled up that laker. I took the pic of him as he did not have a camera. He gave me his email and sent it to him later in the evening. Never heard from him again! Haha! After seeing that laker it motivated me to come back as much as I could before the ice went out. Got a total of 17 lakers and 4 browns, two which were 8.5 pounders. None of the lakers were anything big however. Biggest was about 25". Our family is acquainted with an elderly gentleman who is in his 80's now at a local nursing home. In 1985 he pulled a 23 lb. Laker out of Gleneida! I have pics of the mount that I will scan and try to post. Truly impressive!

Mike

Mike,

Yeah, I was out there with you and your buddy that fine day! It was real slow all day until around 12:45 when Brad drilled a hole next to one a buddy of his was just fishing an hour before and about 25 yards from one of mine. As he was setting up his second tip up the first one went off and the fun started. Brad was real excited and I believe he got that mounted. He is actually a friend and co-worker of a buddy of mine. Him and his father were real excited and I was grateful out have been there to see that fish come through the ice!

Oh yeah and thanks for costing me $500 that week Mike! I had to go out and get a Vexilar after your excellent demostration of yours that day! LOL

I have a 14' V-hull on Gleneida if you ever want to get out there in open water, let me know. we did fairly well there this year, but the biggest was my son's 7lb 8oz brown on 4/3/10.

Here is a few of our 2010 Gleneida catches:

Let's just give it a few more minutes!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Frank, sent you a PM!

Mike

Offline stringer01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 13, 2011, 03:46 PM »
those are some darn nice browns

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Bill I will be up thurs night. Planning to hit either 4th or Lewey on Friday and then Sat will be going to IL  ;). If you want to get together let me know. I already PM'd Scott but he's not sure yet. Haven't heard from Brad either maybe he wants to go too? Let me know! Good hearing from you.

Mike

Just talked with Brad, he wants to fish Saturday and Sunday. I'll let him know about I.L. on Saturday.  thanks.

Bill

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:45 PM »
nice fish man,congrats!!!
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #44 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:48 PM »
Love the tint on that brown. Nice fat hen
I like fishing. No point trying to argue.

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14, 2011, 01:52 AM »
Wow. Nice pictures, keep 'em coming.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Had another great day on Glenieda with the lakers. Check out the NYC Res page in Reports and Conditions.

Mike

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
« Reply #47 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Mike great fish!!!  Sure would like to plan something with you before ice gets bad. 

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:18 AM »
all nice fish ,the brown trout from that water look amazing

Offline cantcatchacold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:36 AM »
NICE FISH.

I had been fishing there 5 of the last 6 days and finially gave up said ill do some reading/learning and found this thread.  It motivated me to get out of bed and try again.  As luck would have it i ran into The guy who help you land that beautiful specimen. he offered to give me some pointers when we coincidentally met in the parking lot. I was soooooo thankful i went out a drilled 3 holes and then Kevin disapperaed, he blended inwith all the rest. i dont know how and cant figure out how to search for a person or how to pm. PLEASE if anyone knows him or can explain how to contact him let me know.  I felt like i wasfinally going to have a chance to learn then it slipped through my fingers.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:30 AM »
NICE FISH.

I had been fishing there 5 of the last 6 days and finially gave up said ill do some reading/learning and found this thread.  It motivated me to get out of bed and try again.  As luck would have it i ran into The guy who help you land that beautiful specimen. he offered to give me some pointers when we coincidentally met in the parking lot. I was soooooo thankful i went out a drilled 3 holes and then Kevin disapperaed, he blended inwith all the rest. i dont know how and cant figure out how to search for a person or how to pm. PLEASE if anyone knows him or can explain how to contact him let me know.  I felt like i wasfinally going to have a chance to learn then it slipped through my fingers.

Hey buddy Kevin goes by the name BCShanty on the IS. Really super nice guy and doesn't surprise me he was so helpful. I owe him big time for landing that Brown for me! He also took those great pics of the fish. He and I are heading to Otsego tomorrow and hope to tangle with some jumbo lakers!

Good luck- Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.