Author Topic: Light action rods  (Read 657 times)

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Light action rods
« on: Dec 16, 2017, 01:22 PM »
Thinking of getting a light action rod (tuck) for fishing gills. BUT it seems like on TV these guys have to bend over and pick the fish up out of the hole. After old man time and 2 back surg. this isn't possible anymore. I sit on a bucket (no kneeling on ice). So is the tip on these types of rods going to break easy on me ?? I just pick up and swing the fish to me to take off. Thanks a head of time. steve

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Light action rods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:14 PM »
Fiberglass rods are less likely to break than graphite or carbon rods.  I've never had a pole tip broke on me while fishing.  I don't angle my rod pole upwards that much like how you see in many fishing shows.  And I tend to use 4# test lines so that I can lift or drag the fish out of the hole.  Save myself from getting wet hands.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:25 PM »
You could also get a medium light action rod and put a spring bobber on it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2017, 04:33 PM »
Thinking of getting a light action rod (tuck) for fishing gills. BUT it seems like on TV these guys have to bend over and pick the fish up out of the hole. After old man time and 2 back surg. this isn't possible anymore. I sit on a bucket (no kneeling on ice). So is the tip on these types of rods going to break easy on me ?? I just pick up and swing the fish to me to take off. Thanks a head of time. steve

The fiberglass rods can & do take a beating, but over time they can and will break........With what you are doing you are going to put a lot of stress on the rods. Regaurdless a high end or cheap Rod......they will end up breaking from stress......For what you are wanting to do, I would look into a Schooley Artic Blue or an HT Ice Blues. They run from $7.99-$12.99 are a fiberglass Rod. You'll get the sensitive spring type tip, then if they break with swinging the fish like you want to do you can pick up another rod.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2017, 05:33 PM »
I usually use a light or ultralight rod when fishing for perch or panfish. I pull the fish onto the ice using the rod and lift them using the line. I also don't use expensive rods. I spent many years using ice rods I had made from broken soft water rods. I'm an old coot who has been through the mill too.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2017, 07:15 PM »
I use a Fenwick IM6 Ultralight and never have bent over in the hole to get the fish. Drag them all up and thru the hole. Its my favorite Bluegill, and Perch rod. Its handled small bass and some trout with no problem.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2017, 07:36 PM »
I've got a tickle stick with the flat tip and I lift my fish out of the hole with no trouble.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:23 AM »
How many of you just lift Crappie out of the hole? Remember they do not call them paper mouths for nothing. I use my skimmer, get it under the fish and then lift/flip them out.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:00 AM »
I picked some up with the rod....I some pulling them out with the line......I dragged some out.........put I never put my hand in the water theres stinky fish in there ; :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.