Author Topic: ******Your Favorite Fish Recipes******  (Read 5013 times)

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
******Your Favorite Fish Recipes******
« on: Feb 19, 2008, 12:12 PM »
Anyone have any Amazing Fish recipes they'd be willing to share?  I posted this recipe recently on the Montana forum but got little response. I'd love to try something new next week for Panfish/Walleye..... Thanks for your help.

Coconut Battered Perch
Ends up tasting something like Coconut battered shrimp, the dipping sauce is to die for.

Batter:
1/2 c. Flour
1-2 c. Crushed Rice Chex OR Crushed Rice Crispies
3/4-1 c. Shredded Coconut

Dipping Sauce:
1/4 C. Katsup
1/2 C. Karo Syrup
2 Tbl. Lemon or Lime Juice
a dash of powdered Ginger
1/2 C. Jalapeno Jelly --this is hard to find, but its the key ingredient. find it w/ the Peanut butter and Jelly stuff.

Directions.......

W/ perch fillets.... if you want to save them for a later fish feed, fillet the fish, cleaning all the fat (dark brown stuff) off the fillet. Put them all in a ziplock bag, fill the bag w/ water and throw in the freezer, the water helps prevent freezer burn or fishy flavors...
Preparation.......
Soak the cleaned and rinsed fillets in evaporated milk prior to bredding.  Mix all dry ingredients. batter fillets, and fry in oil at approx. 375 degrees. Use a high temp peanut oil if you can, vegetable oil works but doesn't last long before it starts blackening all the fillets.

For the sauce....
Mix all ingredients and heat on the stove. serve it hot.
The sauce mix feeds about 20 people in my experience, so cut accordingly. You may need to mix up more batter mix depending on how much your cooking but its quick and easy.

I've got nothing but rave comments from this meal, I learned of it from a friend, and its far too good to keep a secret. Enjoy!  Also works great for Walleye and other panfish I'm sure.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: ******Your Favorite Fish Recipes******
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2008, 01:21 PM »
Sounds great phs!!! Gonna have to try this one! Wished I had a good one to share with ya'. Just the normal coat and fry type.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2008, 01:31 PM »
i will be trying this later on in the week. thanks
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline chezmoose

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2008, 01:45 PM »
Your recipe sounds great. I'll have to print it out and give it a try.

I have an excellent recipe for Nutty Walleye (just as good with pike). I'll have to look it up when I get home. (Shhhh.... don't tell anyone what I really do at work!)  ;)

Official Treasurer of the M.I.R.C.
                                    Membership dues payable now

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2008, 03:40 PM »
TROUT:
remove the head, place in doubled foil.
add some oregano, basil, garlic, pepper, thyme, and whatever floats your boat.
add 3 thin slices of a juicey orange(the really heavy ones)cut in half, put 2 halves inside, 2 slices on top.
add 3-4 pieces of butter inside and out.
close foil and cook in oven at 350 or on the grill on med.
cook for 20-40 minutes(depending on size) till it's flaking.
use a fork and slide the skin off one side, lift meat off the bones.
lift out the spine and bones, flip meat and slide off skin.(might stick to the foil)
enjoy boneless trout. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2008, 03:46 PM »
Anyone have any Amazing Fish recipes they'd be willing to share?  I posted this recipe recently on the Montana forum but got little response. I'd love to try something new next week for Panfish/Walleye..... Thanks for your help.

Coconut Battered Perch
Ends up tasting something like Coconut battered shrimp, the dipping sauce is to die for.

Batter:
1/2 c. Flour
1-2 c. Crushed Rice Chex OR Crushed Rice Crispies
3/4-1 c. Shredded Coconut

Dipping Sauce:
1/4 C. Katsup
1/2 C. Karo Syrup
2 Tbl. Lemon or Lime Juice
a dash of powdered Ginger
1/2 C. Jalapeno Jelly --this is hard to find, but its the key ingredient. find it w/ the Peanut butter and Jelly stuff.

Directions.......

W/ perch fillets.... if you want to save them for a later fish feed, fillet the fish, cleaning all the fat (dark brown stuff) off the fillet. Put them all in a ziplock bag, fill the bag w/ water and throw in the freezer, the water helps prevent freezer burn or fishy flavors...
Preparation.......
Soak the cleaned and rinsed fillets in evaporated milk prior to bredding.  Mix all dry ingredients. batter fillets, and fry in oil at approx. 375 degrees. Use a high temp peanut oil if you can, vegetable oil works but doesn't last long before it starts blackening all the fillets.

For the sauce....
Mix all ingredients and heat on the stove. serve it hot.
The sauce mix feeds about 20 people in my experience, so cut accordingly. You may need to mix up more batter mix depending on how much your cooking but its quick and easy.

I've got nothing but rave comments from this meal, I learned of it from a friend, and its far too good to keep a secret. Enjoy!  Also works great for Walleye and other panfish I'm sure.

(Image removed from quote.)

I made this last night for perch Everyone loved it. My son is going to use the dipping sauce for duck breast, I bet it will be tasty.Thanks perchhog.

Offline pan-fisher-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:02 PM »
i like the old, flour, pepper, seasoned salt, and just enough vegatable oil to cover the bottom of the pan, i also like bread crumbs...not to into the fancy stuff i guess
-------   --------
          /
         / FISH THE HARD STUFF
        /
   ><>

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:22 PM »
Hey now, if that wins any awards I want some royalties.  :o j/k I can't take credit for it, it came to me from my brotherinlaw. Its really a simple recipe but SOOO good. Enjoy!  Can't wait to try out some of these other recepis. Keep posting!!!   8)

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline ToeCheese

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:23 PM »
Take 3 eggs beaten and 2 tablespoons oregano 2 tablespoons parsley and enough finely grated Parmesan cheese to make batter (about thickness of pancake batter) batter fillets and fry in oil.

Offline icecold

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Strictly catch and eat
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2008, 05:53 PM »
Take your walleye filet and dry with paper towel.  Shake on some cajun seasoning and rub it on the filet.
Put on baking sheet and place 8-10 inches under broiler.  Broil for 5 minutes or when filet flakes with fork.
When done put on good fresh roll with tomato and lettuce.
Tastes just like the grouper sandwiches you get served on the southern coast line. Excellent taste
tip up tip down but for sure tip a few

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2008, 07:33 PM »
Try substituting pretzel crumbs made in a food processor instead of bread crumbs in a flour/eggwash/crumb recipe.  That salt and crunch works great with pannies and eyes.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2008, 08:42 PM »
BLUEGILLS w/ GARLIC:

1.. Sunflower Oil for Frying...

2.. The Oven on WARM or the Lowest possible Heat.

3..  Beat 3 eggs, 3 Cups of Milk, in a Blender..Under Liquify..for about 15 Seconds, and put in a Bowl that has the Thawed Bluegills in there already.

4..  From the Grocery Store, get the Kellogg's Cornflakes that are already Crushed to a Fine Pulp, and pour in another bowl, along with some Drakes Fry Magic, and 2 Teaspoons of Garlic Power...(more if you so desire)..

5.. Take Each Fillet, and drip off the exess Milk, Egg Mixture, and place Each Fillet in the stirred up Dry Mixture, Cover the top side of the fillet with more dry and pat Firmly..

6.. Take the Fillet out and put on a Plate...When the plate is full, take a Paper Towel and lay over the other fillets, and start over.

When the oil is hot in the deep fryer, or pan...Start laying each Fillet in the oil..The Frying time will be short about 20-30 seconds..Take the fillets out and place on a Pan with Paper Towels in the pan to soak up the excess oils from the fish and place THAT pan in the oven to keep warm..

7.. Keep frying up the fish and placing them in the pan until they are all done..

Enjoy with any type of sauce you want..

I make my own by taking some Bread and Butter Pickles, Chopping up Fine, and putting in Real Mayo and stir.....Something like Tardar Sauce, but sweeter.

This is what I do for all my Panfish, Bluegills and Specks..Since I haven't really caught Perch Y........E.......T.... ... I know they will work for these Elusive Fish also..    :-\

Stan...
CageTrapper

Offline chezmoose

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2008, 06:29 AM »
NUTTY WALLEYE (OR PIKE)

-Walleye or other fillets
-3 eggs beaten
-Flour
-Salt & Pepper (to taste)
-Crushed nuts (any type or combo you prefer)
-1/3 cup milk
-3 TBS melted butter or margarine

Preheat oven to 375F

Rinse and pat dry fillets with paper towels. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a bag. Combine milk and egg in a bowl. Shake fillets in flour mixture then dip in egg mixture. Roll them on a plate with crushed nuts and arrange on cookie sheet. Drizzle with melted butter then bake for 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

This is so easy and good that we even make it on our fly-in fishing trips. You can use any type of nut, but we tried cashews once and didn't care for it as much. Walnuts or pecans would be preferable.

Official Treasurer of the M.I.R.C.
                                    Membership dues payable now

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:26 PM »
Did the coconut breaded fish & jalapeno dipping sauce last night - everyone loved it!!!! good stuff great recipe, thanks for sharing!!!

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2008, 03:19 PM »
Will have to try the coconut covered perch, sounds awesume
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic

Offline buffaloice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 12:32 PM »
plain flour and beer cant go wrong simple and tastey ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.