Author Topic: Basics....  (Read 1601 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Basics....
« on: Nov 30, 2013, 06:33 PM »
I'm makin' dinner tonight and it occurs to me that I use a few things that are common basics to a number of dishes. To start I'll share two things that can be used a number of ways.

First: Roasted garlic..... very yummy, goes with lots of stuff and is easy to make, keep and use. I buy fresh garlic heads at the peak of the season, oh...... maybe 2-3 dozen, depending on how nice they are and how I feel. Cut 'em in about half, drizzle with olive (preferred) or just any ol' oil. Pop into a 350-400 degree oven for 45 minutes give or take (let 'em get just a little brownish and nice and soft).

When they're done, toss 'em in a blender or food processor and get 'em churnin'. Add enough (olive) oil to smooth it our to a peanut butter like consistency and throw in a pinch of salt (1/4 tsp. or a little more) and really cream it up. When it's done, put it an a jar and store it in the fridge.......

Good to make the best garlic bread  you'll ever eat, put a teaspoon in with your vegetables, spread some on a steak and slap it on the grill........ The possibilities are virtually endless. Roasted garlic is sweet and doesn't come back to "visit" like garlic powder or even fresh garlic.

OK, second: I've shared it before I'll share it again..... Make some and put it in a jar use it on pork or chicken and you'll never be disappointed. I'll confess, if you have a Penzey's near you, just get their "Bavarian Seasoning Blend". I liked it so much and used so much, I knocked it of.....

Sparky’s Bavarian Seasoning Blend

•   1 Tbsp. Brown mustard seed, cracked
•   1 Tbsp. Rosemary cracked
•   ˝ tsp. Garlic, granulated
•   ˝ tsp. Sage, rubbed
•   ˝ tsp. Thyme, dried whole
•   ˝ tsp. Bay leaf, ground

Recipe times 4 to fill the big shaker jar.

Blend ingredients well. Excellent on grilled or roasted pork, veal or lamb. Sprinkle meat with lemon juice and rub on seasoning. 1 – 2 tsp. per pound. Salt free!

OK........ make some roasted garlic. Make some Bavarian seasoning. You'll be ready for some more good stuff.............

Tonight it's "Tuscan Shrimp and beans". Yup, it's a borrowed recipe BUT, it's made on the "cheap" in the off season when I don't have fresh basil WITH the homemade garlic  bread.

"Shrimp and beans Homer?  ???"  Yeah, everyone says it like that until they eat it................. ;D

/m

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline kyl_me

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Basics....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2013, 05:36 PM »
I eat roasted garlic straight, it is great. Oil, salt, pepper wrap it in foil and bake. Great stuff. Make sure to remove husk before blending.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2013, 07:00 PM »
Hey K_M, thanks and you're right!

Please squeeeeze the roasted garlic goo out of the husks before it gets blended up. Yup, for those that like garlic whole roasted cloves are "da bomb"! I've made a roasted double potato dish with onions, garlic and peppers that is crazy easy and very tasty. I do warn those who might be "surprised" by the whole garlic to either sample gingerly or just pass 'em along to me....... ;D

/m

Gotta go, "boneless wings" comin' out of the oven w/homemade "Wingman" sauce............ All made right here in my kitchen.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline kyl_me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2013, 08:15 PM »
Baked wings are one of my favorites. Used to check out Alton Brown's 'Good Eats'. He steamed the wings before baking them to get some fat off and cut back on smoke. I built a triple decker steamer and do it when I make wings now. Healthier than deep fried.

Great, gunna need to do wings this week now....shucks.

By the way, being in lake country, you are close enough to milwaukee to check out paulie's pub in greenfield. They have Legend Larry Wings. Worth a try. Not affiliated with them, but grew up in Manitowoc WI, one of the Legend Larry restaurants.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.