New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: are you legal?  (Read 3656 times)

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: are you legal?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:32 PM »
Were talking signage, not the distruction of the eco system, my comment stands! :icefish:
This is why Gamalot said to call and complain to DEC it wont do any good to complain to us.

Offline RussW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Aaaaaa!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2011, 10:36 PM »
When they start handing out tickets or warnings then Ill comply....maybe.  Whats next, registration for my sled i drag, helmet while walking on ice, life jacket  "BS"
Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day... Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime!  

Who needs a boat when you can walk on water!!

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:34 AM »
When they start handing out tickets or warnings then Ill comply....maybe.  Whats next, registration for my sled i drag, helmet while walking on ice, life jacket  "BS"
The life jacket will be next.

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 17, 2011, 04:32 AM »
...all motorized augers will have the license plate attatched to the muffler clamp so as to be visible while in operation, and the insurance card for same must be presented upon request... ;D

I think they get some of their ideas for extracting money from us by reading stuff right here.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline lovetoshoot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:58 AM »
 From the dec site  "Ice shanties must be marked on the outside with the owner=s name and address in letters at least 3 inches high. Shanties must be removed from all waters by March 15 to prevent them from falling through the ice in spring and becoming navigational hazards."

If this is not for permanent shanties, you better not fish with any shanty after march 15th. lol
Get real folks!  The laguage of the law is very easy to interpret!
I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:56 AM »
From the dec site  "Ice shanties must be marked on the outside with the owner=s name and address in letters at least 3 inches high. Shanties must be removed from all waters by March 15 to prevent them from falling through the ice in spring and becoming navigational hazards."

If this is not for permanent shanties, you better not fish with any shanty after march 15th. lol
Get real folks!  The laguage of the law is very easy to interpret!
I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

I am happy you had a nice room at the INN but you forgot to read what the Environmental Conservation Officer, Lieutenant said in this months Conservationist. It was a surprise to us all and we all also felt the same way as you do.

The question he was asked was about portable shanties and the answer he gave is that a shanty is a "Structure"  and all shanties need the marking.

You might have stayed in the same Holiday Inn that he stayed in. Call the law enforcement division of your regional DEC and let us know what your guy says. Mine here in New Paltz agreed with their Lt's interpretation!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:25 AM »
The only sign on the out side of my portable is  "No lurkers aloud"...     ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bigdaddyc9

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cooler than a mentholated snowball!!!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:43 AM »
On my Frabill XLT2 or whatever there is a clear plastic sleeve on the front.I put a copy of my Guides license,Sportsmens license of that year and my addy and lamenated it and slipped it into that sleeve.I know not many shacks have this feature,but its just too easy of a thing to do and one less reason DEC needs to stop at my shack.I hate to be carded during a hot perch/crappie bite and have had it happen.More than once.
I know in NY we are buried by stupid laws tha are as petty as it gets.That is why our fellow NY'ers are leaving in masse to get the heck out of dodge.Let us hope that someday our micromanaged state lives will be left alone.Maybe-BigD
Please Mother Nature,not this year too???

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:24 PM »
I don't have the lettering yet but will probably take care of it this weekend. My Clam Guide has the little plastic sleeve that I can put the info in.

Am I happy about it? No. But it will only take 5 minutes max and will last until I either sell my hut or move and put new info in there. We can all agree that we would never leave our portables on the ice overnight unless we were in them but if a DEC officer finds my hut on the ice and I'm not around, I hope he would call to find out why.

In my eyes, "A Law is A Law is A Law". I don't have to agree with it, I just have to do it.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:53 PM »
"In my eyes, "A Law is A Law is A Law". I don't have to agree with it, I just have to do it."

I'm with you there primepin65! I suppose if you interpret the law the way I did it says Name and address on the outside in 3 inch letters. Pretty hard to fit that in a pouch.

I went around the sides and back of the sled itself and even though I totally disagree with the rule at all, I have complied. "Silly" is a nice way to say just how ridiculous this rule is but I have run into some pretty petty law enforcement offices along the way and leave nothing to chance at this late stage.

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 17, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Enough, Stop calling New Paltz ever time you have a thought. 5 calls, 6 answers, and if you call those schmucks long enough they will change the law for you!
Who's calling New Paltz to see if portable shelters are leagle after the 15th of march  ???  Damn I got to stop reading this fourm, it's making me grumpy :roflmao:

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:09 PM »
Enough, Stop calling New Paltz ever time you have a thought. 5 calls, 6 answers, and if you call those schmucks long enough they will change the law for you!
Who's calling New Paltz to see if portable shelters are leagle after the 15th of march  ???  Damn I got to stop reading this fourm, it's making me grumpy :roflmao:

You must have been really grumpy long before this thread!

I say call all the regional offices and hound the chit out of them.

You say, "Just my 2 cents...screw the DEC...twice!" and, "Were talking signage, not the distruction of the eco system, my comment stands!"

We are talking about a stupid rule that should be trashed or worse yet, a dumb interpretation from an ECO Lieutenant who needs to spend more time in the field so he can see what his time spent reading into the laws and publishing his findings means to us. I worked an entire career with these "Wonder Boys" who never spent much time out in the field doing the job but they sure could pass a test and get the promotions. We had a name for them that began with an A and ended with a Hole.

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #42 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:24 PM »
i just figured it out... damn it wasnt hard after all,,, i aint got no ice shanty i got me a portable tent.. AINT NO PERMANENT STRUCTURE  ROUND HERE NOPE.... ;D JUST AN OLE TENT I DRAG OUT AND DRAG BACK,, or maybe its just a windbreaker.  hehe ;)
youngster

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #43 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:25 PM »
im with the grumpyoledude,,    it  just makes me grumpier
youngster

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:32 PM »
im with the grumpyoledude,,    it  just makes me grumpier

How Grumpy will you be the day you run in to some ECO fresh out of the academy who gives you the ticket and then the judge takes all you bait money and a little more?

Just wondering!

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Who's calling New Paltz to see if portable shelters are leagle after the 15th of march  ???  Damn I got to stop reading this fourm, it's making me grumpy :roflmao:
No one is calling to see if they are legal after the 15 we are complaining about having to label them. Read the entire thread.

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:49 PM »
oh boy.

Offline Wind Flag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:50 PM »
I know its a BS rule, but whats the big deal? Just grab a sharpie and get it done.

I keep planning on it. But by the time I think about it, I'm already out and the ice. I wouldn't want to break another rule by leaving my tip ups unattended for the duration of the hike to and back from the truck.

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Bring em on, I'll take take my chances with a real judge! I have spoken with a DEC Lieutenant also and he is still laughing.  :icefish:

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:15 PM »
Bring em on, I'll take take my chances with a real judge! I have spoken with a DEC Lieutenant also and he is still laughing.  :icefish:
AS I said before I've had 3 different ECOs at my portable this year its not labled and none of them said a word. But if you had one that wanted to he could give you a ticket. Then you will loose valuable time on the ice going to court to fight a BS ticket. That's a good reason to call and complain to the DEC about it. I don't get a lot of ice time so I'll lable mine and complain to them about it.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:49 PM »

Just don't publish your "Laughing DEC Lieutenant's" name here who is laughing at another DEC Lieutenant who is up enough to be published in the Conservationist!

The Region 3 Lt. I got the word from had to go look up the law before he verified it was in fact true.

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:32 PM »
WOW and they call me grumpy :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:40 AM »
chances are they have better things to write tickets for and I would'nt worry to much about this.  talk about fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.