Author Topic: Fish eyes?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fish eyes?
« on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:22 PM »
I read an old topic on here about using perch eyes as bait.  Is there a reason why it is always mentioned as perch eyes?  Do they come out easier than other fish?  Would crappie eyes or bluegill eyes work as well?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Fish eyes?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2014, 05:29 AM »
Because Grandpa said that is what you use. ;D

WS

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:49 AM »
I have used them in the past and yes they do work, pretty well I might add.

I just think their size is about ideal. Ive used walleye eyes, think they were a little to large. Maybe likewise with bluegill- to small, don't know never tried.

If hooked properly you can catch quite a few fish on one eye. Since they are pretty tough.
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:25 AM »
i use perch eyes because they're just the perfect size to fit on a small jig hook without closing the gap or making it too easy to tear the eye off.

also, perch are cannibalistic; so they'll always jump at the perch eye before any other bait.

another reason is that pretty much every predator species eats perch when they're available.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:20 PM »
I have used ten with some success.

I have a divot tool for golfing, I just bent up the last 1/2" to a 25-30 degree angle. I slides right in back and pops the eye out easily. It is on a lanyard with my clippers and my glow flashlight.

Having the gap in the divot tool also almost guarantees some of the optic nerve as a little trailer to the eye. I hook it on top if I manage to grab some extra tissue. I know it sounds gross but it works and that nerve is just wiggling whenever I jig the rod, perch cannot stop hitting the bait.

Perch eyes are also pretty tough. I can use the same eye for quite a few fish as long as I get a good hook set.

I only use the eyes of perch I am eating. There have been plenty of days I did not use eyes because I had no intention of bringing any home. Some fisherman gouge out an eye and throw the fish back down the hole, I am not cool with that.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2014, 01:41 PM »
[quote author=kpd145 link=topic=285405.msg2979208#msg2979208 date=1392787232
I only use the eyes of perch I am eating. There have been plenty of days I did not use eyes because I had no intention of bringing any home. Some fisherman gouge out an eye and throw the fish back down the hole, I am not cool with that.
[/quote]

X2 Anyone give these a shot?

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=675
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:55 AM »
Nice! But I'm sure that people have used perch eyes because its cheaper than buying bait... now they are selling something that can be gotten for free....

That said, it looks like it'll catch fish!

Offline cleatus

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2014, 12:13 PM »
i use perch eyes only because they catch fish..why it works I don't know ..does it work,hell ya
Give a man a fish,Feed him for a day.Teach a man to fish,feed him for the rest of his life.

Offline cleatus

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2014, 12:22 PM »
use big bobey pin bend it ,sharpen it up,put it on a handle ...whatch the eyeballs fly
Give a man a fish,Feed him for a day.Teach a man to fish,feed him for the rest of his life.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.