The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: (OFF TOPIC) Pier fishing steelies  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
(OFF TOPIC) Pier fishing steelies
« on: Mar 25, 2020, 07:06 AM »
About to head up to do some pier fishing here is a while.... Any tips or baits i should try.... Prolly gonna spend time casting spoons or body baits and ifni can find spawn bags ill drift some spawn as well.....
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pier fishing steelies
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2020, 07:56 PM »
Well... I was unsuccessful but we had a great day... Out of maybe the 30 rods i seen in the water i seen 2 fish caught in an hour and neither were steel.... Both lakers, the 2nd of which was between 15 and 20 lbs it was a very large fish.... But i didnt get a nibble... Casted a 3/4 oz purpley yellowish 5 spot little cleo til i lost it on a snag then drifted a spawn bag with an Orange bead about 4 inches above it....... I also was 1 of 2 guys casting everyone else was 3 way swivel with a pyramid sinker and a spawn bag....

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2020, 06:36 AM »
what pier? I'll be in frankfork next week.
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2020, 08:55 AM »
Oscoda.... I know the west side has better steel fishing but i had some errands to run in oscoda anyways

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2020, 06:38 AM »
I haven't pier fished for a number of years now, but used the 3-way with pyramid sinker setup with floater beads tied in the spawn sack method when I did. Would cast out and then set the pole with the reel bail left open - the newer bait feeder reels would work great for this.  After casting the line out we would grab the line off the tip of the rod and pull it down to wedge it between a toothpick that was taped to the rod handle just above the reel seat and the handle itself.  This helped as an indicator when a fished picked up the bait and was running with it as the line would release away from the toothpick near the reel and would then be back up at the rod tip.  Free spooling seem to make a difference.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.