Author Topic: DIY Jigging Base for Jaw Jacker  (Read 8328 times)

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm new but I'm awesome! Also, humble.....
DIY Jigging Base for Jaw Jacker
« on: Feb 04, 2021, 08:47 PM »
Well, I decided to build a DIY jigging base for the Jaw Jackers. I was not super happy with the ones I saw on YouTube so I tried to improve them. To be honest I probably overthought it but I'm happy with my first attempt. I will certainly be looking to make some improvements in the near future. I will also put together a YouTube or something later that shows them in action and more about how I built them. Anyway, I hope this is helpful to anyone that is looking to have a little DIY fun. 

It is made with pieces of cutting boards and a block of wood. Motor is a 12V 5RPM mounted in a small project box. All the electrical parts were purchased on Amazon.
Coupler
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081KRJBVV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Power supply
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GGS51DL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Box
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6SJGJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Motor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S2KWRWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Switches
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R5DMLXL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Who knew iceholes could be so fun!

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: DIY Jigging Base for Jaw Jacker
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2021, 09:26 AM »
Good on ya. Looks pretty good. I've always wanted to use an Arduino Nano to control a motor or even a 9v solenoid. A multi position selector switch would (input) select what action or fish type or mood that would change the jigging action based on a preprogrammed output. Could definitely use a combination of inputs that could would allow a user to selection fish type and mood all in one. Even minor tweeks such and speed could be adjusted on the fly without additional programming. But what exactly the output would look like would be based on a lot of research to determine what works for the variety of species and lake types.© (JK ;))
Looks like you're also a bit of a electronics hobbyist and maybe have more energy then I do.

Any idea of the run time on the one you made?

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2021, 09:36 AM »
Very cool. I was given the jigging base as a gift, I have yet to catch a fish on it, or one that I can remember. It has gone off a few times, just doesn’t hook up for me like the jawjacker. Pretty much leave it at home now and just use the jawjackers with live bait or worms.

Hope your design works better!

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2021, 10:59 AM »
Looks good, you mentioned you were wanting to avoid wood as much as possible. What if you get 2 pieces of the cutting board and laminate them together for your upright?
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2021, 11:28 AM »
Looks good, you mentioned you were wanting to avoid wood as much as possible. What if you get 2 pieces of the cutting board and laminate them together for your upright?

I thought of this and might go that route in the near future. I had two piece of scrap left over from another project and out of ease and convenience i just decided to go this way for now. If it works and they catch fish I'll be trying to tweak them as I am always looking to make things better. I will make another video with more detail once I get the final product created.

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2021, 11:34 AM »
Good on ya. Looks pretty good. I've always wanted to use an Arduino Nano to control a motor or even a 9v solenoid. A multi position selector switch would (input) select what action or fish type or mood that would change the jigging action based on a preprogrammed output. Could definitely use a combination of inputs that could would allow a user to selection fish type and mood all in one. Even minor tweeks such and speed could be adjusted on the fly without additional programming. But what exactly the output would look like would be based on a lot of research to determine what works for the variety of species and lake types.© (JK ;))
Looks like you're also a bit of a electronics hobbyist and maybe have more energy then I do.

Any idea of the run time on the one you made?

I got a full 8 hours out of one set of batteries. IT was still going strong when I had to leave for work and I turned it off so I'm not sure on the overall life. With the cold I am hoping to get 8 hours. The project box screws are not ideal for changing batteries mid trip so I am likely going to upgrade the screws to thumb screws but they are freaking expensive! Like $6 a screw for the length I need. 

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2021, 12:39 PM »
Looking at your Amazon link the screws seem to be a standard 6-32 or 8-32. Maybe metric but you can index them to find out. You could buy longer machine screws and nuts once you know the TPI. Lock-tite a few nuts on at the screw head and then whatever length it takes to put pressure on the cover and leave whatever length you're comfortable with for the screw head. If you have the lock-tite I would be surprised if it costs more then $2. Nylocks, which i see you have would be clean and easier.

DYI thumb screw.

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2021, 12:45 PM »
Looking at your Amazon link the screws seem to be a standard 6-32 or 8-32. Maybe metric but you can index them to find out. You could buy longer machine screws and nuts once you know the TPI. Lock-tite a few nuts on at the screw head and then whatever length it takes to put pressure on the cover and leave whatever length you're comfortable with for the screw head. If you have the lock-tite I would be surprised if it costs more then $2.

DYI thumb screw.

Well I'll be damned. Learn something new everyday. That is a great idea!

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2021, 01:08 PM »
Hopefully it works. I'm also wondering about the voltage to your motor. The link shows a 12vdc 10rpm motor. Assuming the batteries are 1.5v and if your batteries are in series the most your motor is getting is ~4.5vdc which may be why it turns slower with less torque. Half the voltage means more current and the motor may not like that for too long.
Without getting into details and trying myself to relearn, you're roughly half the voltage which is maybe why you said its 5 rpm. Half the rated rpm.

I'm sure to most, no biggy. :-\

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2021, 01:21 PM »
Hopefully it works. I'm also wondering about the voltage to your motor. The link shows a 12vdc 10rpm motor. Assuming the batteries are 1.5v and if your batteries are in series the most your motor is getting is ~4.5vdc which may be why it turns slower with less torque. Half the voltage means more current and the motor may not like that for too long.
Without getting into details and trying myself to relearn, you're roughly half the voltage which is maybe why you said its 5 rpm. Half the rated rpm.

I'm sure to most, no biggy. :-\

Yeah, I am no electrician but that was the way I understood it to work. Some guys use a voltage controller to slow the motor but it amounts to the same thing.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2021, 01:27 PM »
For how simple and effective they are, you are correct. Just wasn't sure if that is what your intention was.
Looking forward to your next rev.

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2021, 07:48 AM »
For how simple and effective they are, you are correct. Just wasn't sure if that is what your intention was.
Looking forward to your next rev.
I hope they work. LOL my R&D was really fun and the build was fun. It would be really cool to actually catch a fish with them.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2021, 12:13 PM »
The motor you are using is a brushed DC motor. The no load speed is proportional to voltage, so double the voltage and your speed will double. As long as you are running it without load, the current will be low, and you could go over the rated voltage I bet- try turning it on a 20V tool battery and you will have plenty of speed!
I would add AA batteries one at a time until you get the speed you want.

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2021, 04:48 PM »
The motor you are using is a brushed DC motor. The no load speed is proportional to voltage, so double the voltage and your speed will double. As long as you are running it without load, the current will be low, and you could go over the rated voltage I bet- try turning it on a 20V tool battery and you will have plenty of speed!
I would add AA batteries one at a time until you get the speed you want.

I have ordered some other battery packs to try this out.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2021, 09:53 PM »
If you borrow some more hands, you can hold the batteries end to end and see what speed you get. Then you would know which holder to buy.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2021, 07:47 AM »
If you borrow some more hands, you can hold the batteries end to end and see what speed you get. Then you would know which holder to buy.

Or you know, use some tape.

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2021, 08:15 AM »
The big thing I was trying to avoid was using a ton of AA batteries. The actual Jigging Jaw Jacker Base only uses 3 AA batteries so I was trying to duplicate that. I don't want to have to bring a bucket of AA's with me out on the ice. Last night I tried to bridge two of the battery packs i have and it did not seem to make a difference in speed?? So, back to the drawing board I guess.     

Looking at trying these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D0XILOK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A15GNHST7KG47K&psc=1

or

https://www.amazon.com/Bringsmart-JGY-370-Turbine-Electric-Self-locking/dp/B078JHVJYL/ref=pd_sbs_4?pd_rd_w=snKPd&pf_rd_p=c52600a3-624a-4791-b4c4-3b112e19fbbc&pf_rd_r=GJP9PJWXEHXJM42CWVDZ&pd_rd_r=2e4d88e9-1f88-4735-b9c0-70f2621867fd&pd_rd_wg=s3aTZ&pd_rd_i=B078JHVJYL&psc=1

Problem is that these cost significantly more than the other motor and the build price is getting too expensive. I am also not sure that the same issue will not exist with only running about 4.5 volts with the 3 AA's. 

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:54 AM »
Well, it works!!!!!!! Actually out fished the actual Jigging Jaw Jacker by quite a bit. I had the same hali jig on both machines and mine out fished it by about 3 to 1 over all 4 days of my trip. I was also very surprised to find that the batteries in both my DIY and the name brand JJJ lasted for all 4 days without having to be changed at all. So, with my R&D done I think I can safely say that my DIY jigging base is a success. I was worried that my motor would be to slow but it turned out to be just right!   

Offline Monte2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:15 AM »
Good job!  Thank you for your contribution!  I really liked the way you went about it.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:18 AM »
Congratulations! Love DIY gear!

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2021, 12:14 PM »
Good job!  Thank you for your contribution!  I really liked the way you went about it.
'

Thank you. It was a really fun thing to play with. Got some ideas of what to change for next year but overall I'm happy with it. I do like the slimmer profile of the name brand base and I would say it is overall easier to deal with. My DIY bases were much cheaper but the real treat was just working out the design and building them. Knowing they work is even better!   

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:15 PM »
Well, it works!!!!!!! Actually out fished the actual Jigging Jaw Jacker by quite a bit. I had the same hali jig on both machines and mine out fished it by about 3 to 1 over all 4 days of my trip. I was also very surprised to find that the batteries in both my DIY and the name brand JJJ lasted for all 4 days without having to be changed at all. So, with my R&D done I think I can safely say that my DIY jigging base is a success. I was worried that my motor would be to slow but it turned out to be just right!   

Great job and them some decent perch. I was thinking that if you wanted the option to run it faster depending on the bite action and fish mood, you could get a SPDT switch that could switch one battery pack on or series connect a second battery pack on, increasing the speeding of the motor without much effort. But none the less, great job.  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline AgentNelson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2023, 11:37 AM »
Hey new to the site and loving the video and set up. I have the Jacker part but not the base and wanted to make my own version. Can you share the template of the jigging wheels? Trying to figure out the size without buying one and returning it.....which will not happen lol. Thanks in advance and tight lines.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2023, 12:53 PM »

The bigger pause is the key, fishing with a camera I have observed that constant jigging action can really turn the fish off............not always but most of the time.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2023, 01:43 PM »
A buddy and I made this over 10 years ago. Power source was a BBQ rotisserie (2 C batteries). It has a really slow 5-6" lift and then a 5-6 second pause..............the pause is what gets them. 

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2023, 01:06 PM »
Hey new to the site and loving the video and set up. I have the Jacker part but not the base and wanted to make my own version. Can you share the template of the jigging wheels? Trying to figure out the size without buying one and returning it.....which will not happen lol. Thanks in advance and tight lines.

To be honest I just found some pictures and printed them out to make the template. Shoot me a PM

Offline SmilingBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Apr 14, 2023, 10:50 AM »
A buddy and I made this over 10 years ago. Power source was a BBQ rotisserie (2 C batteries). It has a really slow 5-6" lift and then a 5-6 second pause..............the pause is what gets them. 

eyeflyer,

I would like to build a copy of your BBQ Rotisserie Auto Jigger. Would it be possible to get some more detailed pics and construction details? Sent you a PM

SmilingBob

Offline SmilingBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2023, 06:05 PM »
CoryTDF.

I would like to build a copy of your jigging base and have some questions for you, sent you a email and a PM

SmilingBob

Offline SmilingBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Apr 25, 2023, 10:09 PM »
CoryTDF.

I would like to build a copy of your jigging base and have some questions for you, sent you a email and a PM

SmilingBob

Looking forward to hearing back from you sent you another email

SmilingBob

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2023, 11:34 AM »
Looking forward to hearing back from you sent you another email

SmilingBob
I shot you a reply. Sorry it took so long.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.