Author Topic: what's the best time?  (Read 5082 times)

Mr.Ice_Fishing

what's the best time?
« on: Jan 23, 2003, 02:29 PM »
Can some one give me a suggestion when the best time is to go for crappies. It might depend on what lake but can you still give me a time..thanks
Keep them coming :'(
MR. Ice Fishing

Exudedude

Re: what's the best time?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2003, 11:11 AM »
Really too many factors to name, your asking an almost imposible question!... HOWEVER, I will do my best to shed a little light on the situation.

In most lakes in where the visibility is bad do to water clarity, you can have some very good DAY bites... where just after sun up till about 9am can be great.. In clear body of water, this is not as frequent.  In clear bodys of water you are better off fishing the evening bite.  From sundown till 3-4 hours after?

Other things that will change this will be weather.  Weather can greatly change when crappies feed.  Also, if there is any kind of larvae hatch.  Food will change when crappies feed also.

To answer your question the easiest, the best time to go is when you can!

Mr.Ice_Fishing

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2003, 01:05 PM »
Thanks a lot. I thought it would be hard but I was looking for any thing that can help me out
MR>Ice fishing
keep them coming :'(

fishondwan

« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2003, 05:39 PM »
Hey Mr icefishing,
I fish a clear water lake and for me it's after dark on cloudy nights. If I can see stars, the bite is shy. Good luck.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2003, 07:57 PM »
I fish a moderately clear lake and I catch any time of the day the trick is finding the fish. The fish that I have been catching have been in between 10 A.M. and 3 P.M. Have to take the kids and pick them up for school usually so my time is some times limited.  Try distinctive changes in the lake  creek channels, dropoffs, timber and always stay positive and good luck.

wick

« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2003, 03:12 PM »
I know alot of people catch crappie at night but to tell you the truth, i never cought a crappie at night. I usually catch my crappie in the day or evening (not night) ive tried at night but just never cought any.

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2003, 04:13 PM »
It seems like the crappies start swarming around 1 hour before dusk.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2003, 05:36 PM »
I usually make sure to get out before sunset.  That is when they seem to bite best here in MN.  I have stayed out past midnight also  It depends.  I have a 18" 3.5 lb mounted on the wall that I caught around 9pm. I have not done very well in the middle of the day but then again I usually fish for sunnies and northerns during the day and they are not in the same areas as crappies normally.  

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2003, 07:45 PM »
Depends.  I fish Honeoye Lake here in NY a lot and I have found the crappie bit is best just before dark and then after.  But then there are days (like last Friday) when they hit all afternoon.  Friday was a bright sunny day until about 1:00. Then it got overcast.  With the cluds came the crappies.  I was next to 4 guys who absolutely murdered them.  All afternoon.  They had been there the last 2 days and caught zero.  Last year I did well on them but after dark.  They're finicky but when they hit it is worth the wait.
Rob Taylor

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2003, 04:12 PM »
hour before dark till they stop biting   couple hours before dark till they stop biting  
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.