Author Topic: 10" ION with Ridgid Octane  (Read 2563 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
10" ION with Ridgid Octane
« on: Jan 05, 2020, 04:04 PM »
Well..I got sick of waiting for one of these companies to release a 10" lightweight polymer auger, so I took matters into my own hands hoping it would work. 

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: 10" ION with Ridgid Octane
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2020, 04:40 PM »
Yeah 6"
How about 20"-30"????
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2020, 05:29 PM »
It just amazing to me how many people are just finding out how smooth Eskimo/Ion shaver blades are. Way easier to turn than a chipper and 100 times more dependable than Lazers. Another good video DTro. 

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2020, 06:00 PM »
Good vid dtro
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2020, 06:08 PM »
Thanks for the shoutout. Certainly not needed, but appreciated. Good to see another 10" works. Any guesses who puts out the first lightweight, polymer 10" ? Im guessing Eskimo!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2020, 06:09 PM »
Yeah 6"
How about 20"-30"????

It was 12"

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2020, 06:59 PM »
The garbage white ice doesnt count.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2020, 07:52 PM »
DTro thank you for all the power drill/augers videos you have recently posted.
 Steve

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2020, 08:07 PM »
Why did this get moved from “general” where it was meant to be?

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2020, 08:12 PM »
Why did this get moved from “general” where it was meant to be? These videos should stay where people can see them and discuss them.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2020, 06:02 AM »
Why did this get moved from “general” where it was meant to be? These videos should stay where people can see them and discuss them.
The moderators move all the threads with videos. They’ve moved a few of mine too.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2020, 07:15 AM »
Thanks!

yeah it's unfortunate we can't continue the discussion in the General forum, but rules are rules I guess....

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2020, 07:33 AM »
I didn't know you could buy just the auger. How much is it?
Where's the FISH?!

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2020, 07:48 AM »
I paid $149 for just the bit. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2020, 09:40 AM »
Wish you'd have had this up last week. I just ordered a SM 10" Lazer to replace one that got damaged. I still have a gas head to power it but was planning to try it with some electric. I had been looking at the ION drills but decided to go with what I knew. Plus I've still got two sets of extra Lazer blades and an extension. Be interesting to see how it turns thru more ice. We'll be up in the UP in a couple of weeks and expecting (hopefully) 12 - 18".
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2020, 08:03 AM »
I paid $149 for just the bit.

That's a good deal for a 10" bit!  @)

What kind of adapter is that you are using?
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2020, 08:16 AM »
WOW! I was just going to keep using my old 8" Strikemaster Mora auger. Did not wanna pay almost $200 for a K-drill or similar bit.

But a 10" bit for under $150.................................has got me thinking about it!  ;)

Thanks for the heads up!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2020, 11:42 AM »
OK- I just watched the video again and paid closer attention to what you were saying.

So 5 holes in 11” of ice and the 9.0ah battery was down 25%? Was that battery fully charged before the test? (I just question because with my Milwaukee Fuel and 5.0ah batteries and 8" mora bit I can get well over 20 holes before losing 25% battery life)

If that is the case, I might lean more towards the 8" ION bit for $125!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2020, 11:53 AM »
You beat me to it!  I knew the octane would spin a 10", but I haven't picked it up yet.  This is the 10" I have.  It has shaver blades, so much easier on the drill than chippers.  Plus, check out the price.  Can't beat it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arksen-10-inch-Ice-Auger-Bit-Fishing-Camping-w-Blades/113619088

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2020, 12:08 PM »
I didn't know you could buy just the auger. How much is it?

ION Eskimo Ice Auger 10"
134.99$ free ship
https://www.amazon.com/ION-29100-Straight-Through-Aluminum/dp/B01M5DLFIT
UPDATE: price went up to 162.39

Strikemaster NDA-3 adapter
22.55$ free ship
https://www.amazon.com/Strikemaster-Stage-Drill-Adapter-Auger/dp/B07YQBCH52

Eskimo QT10N Power Ice Auger Bit with 10-Inch Quantum Blades
134.23$ free ship
https://www.amazon.com/Eskimo-QT10N-10-Inch-Quantum-Blades/dp/B000LXB1DQ

ION Eskimo Ice Auger 8"
125.96$
https://www.amazon.com/ION-29100-Straight-Through-Aluminum/dp/B00O645AYM?th=1

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2020, 02:35 PM »
Man, this site just HATES the fact that I try to help out and share an amazon link and then you go ahead and share it anyways.  LOL   

Why the sour grapes? 

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2020, 02:38 PM »
OK- I just watched the video again and paid closer attention to what you were saying.

So 5 holes in 11' of ice and the 9.0ah battery was down 25%? Was that battery fully charged before the test? (I just question because with my Milwaukee Fuel and 5.0ah batteries and 8" mora bit I can get well over 20 holes before losing 25% battery life)

If that is the case, I might lean more towards the 8" ION bit for $125!

who knows how many more I could have drilled before I lost another bar on the indicator.  Those things are almost worthless anyways.  They can read 50% forever and then just die out of nowhere.    It has nothing to do with how many holes you can get but rather able to use a 10" at all.   This isn't for speed and efficiency purposes, its a deliberate attempt to drill fewer bigger holes for how I fish.    If you don't need a 10, don't use it. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2020, 03:12 PM »
Is the Ion 10 " a "standard" hand auger diameter shaft ? It seems to be in the lowerer portion of the SM NDA-3 adapter.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2020, 04:27 PM »
who knows how many more I could have drilled before I lost another bar on the indicator.  Those things are almost worthless anyways.  They can read 50% forever and then just die out of nowhere.    It has nothing to do with how many holes you can get but rather able to use a 10" at all.   This isn't for speed and efficiency purposes, its a deliberate attempt to drill fewer bigger holes for how I fish.    If you don't need a 10, don't use it.

I did not mean to sound critical! Just trying to get more info so I can make an informed decision based on how I fish!

I would never NEED a 10” hole, but if I could cut a fair amount of them with my Milwaukee Fuel and 5.0ah batteries, I might lean that way. But if I’m only gonna get 20 holes before I’m out of battery, then it’s not for me. (I usually only cut 18-24 holes, but I’ve been known to cut up to 40 or more when I have to search for the fish)

I DO like the way it cuts and speed is of no concern to me. So at this point it would just be a matter of 10” vs 8”.

If you ever test to see how many holes you can get before the battery dies, please post the results. I would be interested. Thanks!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2020, 04:53 PM »
I did not mean to sound critical! Just trying to get more info so I can make an informed decision based on how I fish!

I would never NEED a 10” hole, but if I could cut a fair amount of them with my Milwaukee Fuel and 5.0ah batteries, I might lean that way. But if I’m only gonna get 20 holes before I’m out of battery, then it’s not for me. (I usually only cut 18-24 holes, but I’ve been known to cut up to 40 or more when I have to search for the fish)

I DO like the way it cuts and speed is of no concern to me. So at this point it would just be a matter of 10” vs 8”.

If you ever test to see how many holes you can get before the battery dies, please post the results. I would be interested. Thanks!

I will do that test real soon.  I'll also try redrilling my old holes. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.