New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Planning a trip to Lake George  (Read 2355 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Planning a trip to Lake George
« on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:40 AM »
Hi Everyone, for my birthday this year I'd like to head to Lake George and go for Lake Trout. I would be on foot. Would you recommend hiring a guide or are the shacks for rent/walkable access to Lake Trout water? thanks for your input!
Tight Lines!

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Planning a trip to Lake George
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Read the lake George bs thread there is a decent amount of info in there that being said lake George is a big lake depending on your experience I would consider a guide I believe captain jj is a guide there reach out to him

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2018, 11:21 AM »
I would agree with Garufi and contact Captain JJ at Rod Bender Charters.  It would be a great birthday present for yourself at a very reasonable cost.  He does ice trips and will be able to get you into lakers right away so you're spending your time catching fish and not trying to figure out where to go as it's a big lake with limited access and variable ice conditions.  JJ also does part time loon rescues on the big lake ;D

Offline Randy218

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2018, 11:35 AM »
We went with captain JJ last year and it was awesome. We were on the lakers all day and learned a ton.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2018, 11:56 AM »
JJ would do the trick.  The ice can be tricky their so best to go with someone who knows the lake.  That said it isn't particularly tough to catch Lakers there.  Even if you just jig for perch you will eventually catch one.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Didn't have his rates online, but sent him an email. I thought about browsing the BS thread but figured it was just kind of a random thread, I'll take a look through it.
Tight Lines!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2018, 12:41 PM »
JJ would do the trick.  The ice can be tricky their so best to go with someone who knows the lake.  That said it isn't particularly tough to catch Lakers there.  Even if you just jig for perch you will eventually catch one.

Lies!
westernmas on the finder

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2018, 01:56 PM »
There is lake trout in Lake George?

It really depends on how you like to do things. Obviously a guide would get you going faster, but there are many lake trout there to be had and they're fairly easy to catch provided you have Electronics.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2018, 02:20 PM »

This. Lucky for me, someone was kind enough to guide the way a few seasons ago and has been a great source of info since.

Think his name is Jon  ;) :P
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2018, 02:28 PM »
There is lake trout in Lake George?

It really depends on how you like to do things. Obviously a guide would get you going faster, but there are many lake trout there to be had and they're fairly easy to catch provided you have Electronics.

Ding, ding, ding.  He hit the nail on the head "fairly easy to catch PROVIDED YOU HAVE ELECTRONICS."  I tried unsuccessfully last year without electronics.  I prob setup in way too much water to be fishing blind.  I'll be back this year with the helix 5 chirp unit.
westernmas on the finder

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Nothing fancy, just an LX3 better than fishing blind though!
Tight Lines!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:45 PM »
The BS thread has good info amongst the BS you just have to dig. 

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:00 AM »
We went with captain JJ last year and it was awesome. We were on the lakers all day and learned a ton.

did you do the 8 hour trip or 4-5? His rates are super reasonable. With the effort it would take to bring all my gear, lug it on the ice and set up. I think it's worth the $100-$150 per person.....
Tight Lines!

Offline Hayner12578

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:02 PM »
http://www.fishlakegeorge.com/

Ed Lockhart at Lockhart charters.  Awesome guy and knows the lake like the back of his hand.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:35 AM »
Let's hope the lake freezes because right now there is zero ice on it!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:21 AM »
not heading there until the weekend of Feb 17th so hopefully things will lock up by then!
Tight Lines!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:26 AM »
not heading there until the weekend of Feb 17th so hopefully things will lock up by then!

My fingers are crossed. 

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:09 AM »
Sorry if my post offended anyone! I actually just started talking with Scott last week about becoming a sponsor. What are the forum rules about guides posting for future reference? Please pm me and advise, i’d Just like to know before committing to become a sponsor.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.