Author Topic: Tipnspin tip-up review as promised(kinda long)  (Read 3778 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Tipnspin tip-up review as promised(kinda long)
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2023, 11:32 PM »
Both sides suck. You can't buy a product, hate the design, use it anyway and expect a refund. At the same time it seems to be a mediocre product. No props to anyone.

Don't overlook failure in materials (cracked wood that will certainly only get worse) within a reasonable time. That in itself should merit some sort of consideration.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2023, 04:28 AM »
Both sides suck. You can't buy a product, hate the design, use it anyway and expect a refund. At the same time it seems to be a mediocre product. No props to anyone.

Hmmm...depends. Does one hate the design due to appearance or performance? In mine and Papa Ply's case it is performance. It did not perform as expected. In any event, in todays world, MOST companies offer a 100% guarantee, with a full refund, if not completely satisfied. If they don't...well...it's just not good for their business.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2023, 06:38 AM »

Walmart, Amazon, and other big vendors offer 30-90 day periods for returns if the products aren't satisfactory. Especially if they are damaged or don't work as advertised. Small vendors may have a tough time matching that, but manufacturers should definitely own up to what they are pushing. Even more so when a guy on here spends a small fortune to try and support a site sponsor.

Offline Tip-n-spin

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2023, 07:14 AM »

Offline Tip-n-spin

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2023, 07:20 AM »

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2023, 07:37 AM »

Not sure what the point you're trying to make here is. This post of a satisfied customer was 10 years ago. Do you have anything more recent? And with any product, there will be some users that like it...and some that don't. Which side the majority lie on is usually the best indicator. At least for me.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2023, 07:44 AM »
Since you opened this door let's put it in context.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=214896.msg2130572#msg2130572

Hmmm...it sure does. I noticed a post from August that TNS knew there was a lube issue with the wooden style yet continued to sell them until November...when the stock ran out. :whistle:

Offline Tip-n-spin

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2023, 08:32 AM »

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2023, 08:59 AM »
Well I've said all I'm going to say on this. Further comment (at least from me) will serve no purpose. Been an interesting and enlightening dialogue. I think everyone will draw their own conclusions.

Probably on the verge of getting locked anyway...

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 04, 2023, 09:08 AM »
 Not going to praise someone for eating a poop sandwich and then complaining about it, I'm also not going to buy some poop sandwich tipup.

Offline Rippin_Lips7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ripping Lips and Drinking Busch
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2023, 09:22 AM »
I don't really understand the importance of the spinning "flag"...

I like the old school way (at least for me old school) of putting a small bobber at the base of the spool. When a flag pops, I run over to the flag and can easily tell if the spool is spinning or not. If the fish just bumped it, then my bobber will be very close to the spool. And if it was just bumped, then I am going to have to reset my tip-up anyways.

I am a mechanical engineer who specializes in sales and understand the importance of "a second set of eyes" when it comes to projects. Tip-N-Spin, I do not understand why you cannot say thank you for the feedback and implement the changes in a V2 design (lighter "flag", better trigger, and un-fixed line guide). If you would have responded like this in the first place, there would not be a thread on here complaining and Pops probably would have been appreciative of your candor and posted a positive review. Customer relations are the single most important aspect of sales. 
_______________  ┊  __________      
                             ┊        
                             ┊
¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

<º))))>< ¸.·´¯`·.¸

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Jan 04, 2023, 09:31 AM »
Not going to praise someone for eating a poop sandwich and then complaining about it, I'm also not going to buy some poop sandwich tipup.

Agree. But unfortunately you can't put this in your hand without buying it first. Purchases are online only. I've made many of these type orders...and have returned a few...because the pics, videos, instructions, operation, etc. did not transfer into what I would consider a functioning and acceptable "sandwich".

Now I'm done as well.

Offline aln

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 04, 2023, 10:26 AM »

Doesn't seem like Papa knew the contents of said sandwich when he ordered it.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 04, 2023, 04:38 PM »
Doesn't seem like Papa knew the contents of said sandwich when he ordered it.

Exactly and if I knew the line guide was fixed I never would have spent $80! What bothers me more is he never made Any effort to make it right and he is a sponsor on here. he should be booted off. If you think you are buying prime rib and you end up with a poop sandwich you should be able to get a refund rather than a bunch of excuses.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 04, 2023, 06:45 PM »
I thought the design was bad when they first appeared on here and the price is WAY to high.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 23, 2023, 10:30 PM »
Pappy Sly, I have found that the best way to tell whether a fish is running is to watch the reel after the flag goes up. Adding some reflective tape to the reel has helped with this. Having traps that do not freeze up, do not suffer from wind flags, and have light, sensitive, smooth releases helps. That's what Forest City Traps have done.
MD

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2023, 08:40 AM »
I’ve used a set of these traps for more than 25 years, my absolute favorite brook trout trap.  The spinning flag is fantastic and fun.  I purchased a new set last year and they work flawlessly for me.  I fish with many different tip ups, depending on conditions and species every trap has its perks, like the perfect mouse trap…

Everyone I fish with loves seeing that flag spinning!

Offline Dan in NH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 28, 2023, 03:55 PM »
I picked up 2 of these over 10 years ago. didn't like them. When a fish made a run the flag would whip around. this would shake and move the trap around. Only used them a few times and put them away.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2023, 12:41 AM »
I have a Beaver Dam I have had for at least four years, maybe longer.  It doesn’t have the new set screw on the spool.  The red paint is darker than on my other BDs.  I noticed it was peeling, where the older ones were not.  So I called customer service, thinking this darker red paint must be defective.  The customer service rep had me text a couple of pics, then sent me a brand new board, no questions.  I accidentally broke the board while putting the shaft/spool assembly on.  I called back and they sent me another one for free!  This one went together without a hitch.  They didn’t have me mail the old one back like Tip-n -spin did to Papa Sly.  They just asked for a picture of the defective product.  It’s customer service like this that has made me a Beaver Dam customer for life, not to mention their excellent quality.  Yes, they are expensive (no more expensive than Tip-n-spin though.) But the customer service is worth it.  Plus, I can get any part for a BD I need to fix it.  Frabill and HT are made in China.  That doesn’t make them bad.  In fact they are good tip ups.  But you can’t get parts for them (I have tried and failed.) All you can do is have them send you a new one if yours breaks during the warranty period, which is fine.  They are decent tip ups at half the price.  I kind of wrote this post hoping Tip-n-Spin will read it.  Maybe they can improve their customer service as well as their design.  It really sucks that Papa Sly is out $400, because they won’t make it right, all because he wanted to support a small business that sponsors the Shanty.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2023, 05:03 AM »
There's nothing more frustrating than a vendor who won't stand behind their product. To have one come on a forum and argue/lie compounds that frustration immensely.

Thanks for the review and the heads up. I won't be adding any of these to my arsenal.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2023, 08:01 AM »
Hey Guys I may have found the solution to the best of all worlds. First I tried removing the fish and added a felt flag which helped a little with the bad wobble. I just got back from Lake Champlain and got some nice Pike but put them away as I lost several big fish due to the fixed line guide. The fish would SLAM the tip-up to the side of the hole and the pike would drop IMMEDIATLY.

I found these and I think they may work. Rotating line guide, over 39" tall, running indicator, very smooith(10x smoother than the Tip & Spin, relubeable, Large spool, windless flag set, and they are HT so at least they care about customer service. They also are almost 37" wide. Only downfall is they are a little heavy but we dont often get so much snow that I cant use my Beaver Dams which I love so this should do the trick.
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the back up and I do have a set of 5 T & S for sale for half price almost brand new for those few on here that love them.

A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline kmu70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 07, 2023, 11:28 AM »
PAPA SLY
 where did you get those they seem like best of both worlds stick and polar. i looked couple site either out of stock or not listed at all
hope they didnt stop making this style

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #53 on: Feb 07, 2023, 11:49 AM »
Yep Papa! I got three of those specifically for deep snow conditions. I did find I had to make a few "adjustments". First, that aluminum "clip" where the flag slides through needs to be secured better. I simply tack stapled as close to the flag spring channel as I could get on each side. Next, that line guide. The finish is so rough I felt compelled to polish up right where the line goes through. Still don't like how hefty the guide itself is so I'm still thinking about that. Last, make sure the line goes on correctly so the flag trips. I thought I'd feel better winding it up the other way so I took one apart and flipped the little hook deal on top. Well don't do that, for some reason it won't trip in that direction unless you bend the hook open a bit and I wasn't willing to do that. The way it comes works perfectly well with a full range of settings.

The product is HT Arctic Explorer tipup and can be bought here: https://extacklestore.com/shop/tip-ups/ht-explorer-tip-ups/.There are three models, select "Explorer Wood Dual Rail Design Tip-up w/500' Spool"

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Feb 07, 2023, 01:01 PM »
Yep Papa! I got three of those specifically for deep snow conditions. I did find I had to make a few "adjustments". First, that aluminum "clip" where the flag slides through needs to be secured better. I simply tack stapled as close to the flag spring channel as I could get on each side. Next, that line guide. The finish is so rough I felt compelled to polish up right where the line goes through. Still don't like how hefty the guide itself is so I'm still thinking about that. Last, make sure the line goes on correctly so the flag trips. I thought I'd feel better winding it up the other way so I took one apart and flipped the little hook deal on top. Well don't do that, for some reason it won't trip in that direction unless you bend the hook open a bit and I wasn't willing to do that. The way it comes works perfectly well with a full range of settings.

The product is HT Arctic Explorer tipup and can be bought here: https://extacklestore.com/shop/tip-ups/ht-explorer-tip-ups/.There are three models, select "Explorer Wood Dual Rail Design Tip-up w/500' Spool"

I have the "old" HT Fisherman's that came with the 500' spools. Probably over 25 years old now. Love how they work. Very smooth. But setting up and taking them down was a pia with those wing nuts. Enter my ingenuity. I took the cross sticks and converted them to a rail system. Drilled holes at each end and placed 4 -1"× 1/2" nylon spacers between the sticks securing with a carriage bolt. Same for the middle going through the spool. Sooo much easier. Sorry. No pics. They're packed up for the trip tomorrow.  ;D

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Feb 07, 2023, 01:13 PM »
PAPA SLY
 where did you get those they seem like best of both worlds stick and polar. i looked couple site either out of stock or not listed at all
hope they didnt stop making this style

Not HT but similar design ..

https://jacktraps.com/

https://heritagetraps.com/collections/tip-ups/products/heritage-muskie-standard

https://heritagetraps.com/collections/tip-ups/products/heritage-muskie-classic
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kmu70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 07, 2023, 04:16 PM »
Thanks guys there all nice tip ups and I have heritage Lakers ,love them , just looking for something different .the ones papa sly have are ht arctic bay polars  but I don't see them on websites. Maybe he got them from local shops .I know the further north you go the nicer icefishin  stuff you can find .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.