The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Good to be Out . . . but  (Read 1240 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good to be Out . . . but
« on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:28 PM »
the fishing was awfully slow.

I wanted to give Lake Ashmere a go, because it's one of the few spots in my neck of the woods which holds small smouth bass, which I've never caught through the ice.

So I drove down to Hinsdale, and met up with Mogli and his girlfriend (who got there before me).

Lots and lots of fishermen were out on the Lake (the parking lot was full), and I had to park alongside Route 143.

The weather was great - - partly sunny, relatively warm (supposedly 40 degrees, although I doubt it, because I noticed my holes froze over) and relatively calm (although the wind picked up a bit in the afternoon).

The ice conditions were good - - about 12 inches of good, hard (and slick) white ice, with just a dusting of snow on top here and there.

Not counting the time it took me to walk out/set up/pick up/walk back to my car, I fished from about 11 AM to 2:30 PM.

During that entire time, I had zero flags or strikes on the jig stick.

I did have a few very light taps jigging, and was able to land one small perch, but that was it.

By the time I left, Mogli had done a bit better - - a few flags (mostly of the hit-and-drop it variety) which resulted in a small perch and a decent (18") pickerel - - and his girlfriend caught a perch jigging.

From what we could see, no one else seemed to be catching much either.

After I made it back to my car, I drove to North Adams and fished Fish Pond from 4 to 5 PM.

The ice was thinner (about 7" to 8") and the temps a bit warmer, but the crowds were comparable (although starting to leave when I arrived), and, from what I could tell, the fishing similarly slow.

I didn't have any strikes while jigging, and didn't see anyone else land any fish either, although a few of the guys I spoke to said they had done well earlier in the day.

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Good to be Out . . . but
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2023, 05:55 PM »
I did not even see a fish on the camera later that evening at onota, even with the bait light.

Offline jiggeron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2023, 07:07 PM »
Same sentiment here.  Today was my first trip out since late December 2022.  No tipups, but I kept moving and jigged for two hours on Lake Wyola with nothing caught.  Had a couple taps on deadsticked worms near the bottom.  Probably tiny yellow perch.  The bright spot was that there was good quality ice of 8 inches.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2023, 07:12 PM »
Yeah that is a tough day to start having to park away from the parking lot and then the action is slow. Having never fished there. Do the small mouths have some decent size.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2023, 08:31 PM »
Fished it once this year, drizzled ALL day.  1 bass ALL day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.