Author Topic: Iceshanty  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
Iceshanty
« on: Feb 04, 2023, 04:30 PM »
What has happened to all the people who used to post on here? It used to have lots of good info and now there is very rarely a post. Usually a question that never gets answered. I hope it comes back because I enjoyed it and found it useful.

Offline Meadowpikeman81

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Iceshanty
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2023, 05:57 PM »
forums are a dying breed. Everything shifted to Facebook groups pretty much.

Offline Dlzfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2023, 06:46 PM »
Im still choked about losing the fishingsaskatchewan forum. So much good info on there lost forever. Wouldve loved to get an archive of it.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2023, 07:11 PM »
 forgot about that one dlz, those were the days..

it really is a shame the way forums have gone.  i don't do social media but visit a few public facebook sask fishing sites, they're slow as well and definitely don't have the same sense of community as this site and FS did back in the day.  i still encourage folks i meet to sign up here but have yet to see any of them post.

it's fortunate that i've exchanged phone numbers with a handful of the old crew on here that i've fished with over the years, and we keep in touch that way.  anyone know whatever happened to buzzbomb?

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2023, 09:40 PM »
I think part of the reason we’ve seen a decline is some people are a bit more tight lipped about things these days, and for good reason.

We’re getting more and more people flooding into the province and with that comes more and more fishing pressure on our lakes and resources.

There are still lots of outdoorsman that are respectful and mindful of our resources, but there are a lot that aren’t as well.

Keeping daily limits every week, keeping the prime breeding fish “because it’s legal” or because “they are entitled to” is hurting our fisheries.

Yes it may be legal to keep a 40 inch pike or a 30 inch walleye but is it a smart thing to do if you really care about our fisheries? In my opinion it most definitely is not. I understand it’s legal, but I also understand the long term implications if there are hundreds of fishermen on our lakes every weekend, some of whom are keeping those prime breeding fish every weekend/week.

I’ve noticed a big increase in fishing pressure on the lakes I fish and I’ve also noticed a decline in trophy sized fish and an increase in garbage left on the ice and on our shorelines. Even as far north as Waterbury lake which is a frustrating thing to see.

Im a big fan of the forums and I think there are a lot if good people on these forums. With these forums being open to anyone and everyone on the internet, lots of people are just a bit more cautious about sharing certain information. This is simply to protect our resources from the disrespectful and selfish outdoorsmen that unfortunately are out there abusing our resources.

I want to be clear in saying I realize there are a lot of good people out there. The reality is however, there are still lots that aren’t, and lots that don’t give two cents about the future of our resources.

Just my two cents….

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2023, 10:02 PM »
I agree with all points above. As well I'm sure plenty of IS members who contributed well-intended advice and/or otherwise interesting angling adventures were fed up with frequent derogatory comments emanating from a much smaller portion of the membership, so they just faded away.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2023, 10:25 AM »
 Great points guys.  The increased fishing pressure is nuts and hopefully just a covid fad.  We saw the same effect on the golf industry and it is fading away in a hurry.

Maybe we should be hoping gas goes to $3/litre haha

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2023, 10:38 AM »
I think part of the reason we’ve seen a decline is some people are a bit more tight lipped about things these days, and for good reason.

We’re getting more and more people flooding into the province and with that comes more and more fishing pressure on our lakes and resources.

There are still lots of outdoorsman that are respectful and mindful of our resources, but there are a lot that aren’t as well.

Keeping daily limits every week, keeping the prime breeding fish “because it’s legal” or because “they are entitled to” is hurting our fisheries.

Yes it may be legal to keep a 40 inch pike or a 30 inch walleye but is it a smart thing to do if you really care about our fisheries? In my opinion it most definitely is not. I understand it’s legal, but I also understand the long term implications if there are hundreds of fishermen on our lakes every weekend, some of whom are keeping those prime breeding fish every weekend/week.

I’ve noticed a big increase in fishing pressure on the lakes I fish and I’ve also noticed a decline in trophy sized fish and an increase in garbage left on the ice and on our shorelines. Even as far north as Waterbury lake which is a frustrating thing to see.

Im a big fan of the forums and I think there are a lot if good people on these forums. With these forums being open to anyone and everyone on the internet, lots of people are just a bit more cautious about sharing certain information. This is simply to protect our resources from the disrespectful and selfish outdoorsmen that unfortunately are out there abusing our resources.

I want to be clear in saying I realize there are a lot of good people out there. The reality is however, there are still lots that aren’t, and lots that don’t give two cents about the future of our resources.

Just my two cents….

I am in agreement with this as well.  as fast and furious as social media is/can be it can be such a poison.  on so many levels.  I just hope that the ones who keep things closer continue to do so.  as we all know and have experienced  one spark sometimes is all it takes to burn something right out

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2023, 10:39 AM »
forgot about that one dlz, those were the days..

it really is a shame the way forums have gone.  i don't do social media but visit a few public facebook sask fishing sites, they're slow as well and definitely don't have the same sense of community as this site and FS did back in the day.  i still encourage folks i meet to sign up here but have yet to see any of them post.

it's fortunate that i've exchanged phone numbers with a handful of the old crew on here that i've fished with over the years, and we keep in touch that way.  anyone know whatever happened to buzzbomb?

me too!!  some great info from a select few.  and friendships that have been made

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2023, 11:02 AM »
I'm in agreement with what's been posted. I'm not on Facebook and don't really want to be. It seems that on this site there has been good info posted, but then some "know it all troll" has to add their two cents worth. Spoils it for everyone and turns others off from posting. Thanks to all the good people who post good info. I don't need to know exact locations to fish, but it is nice to have an idea of ice conditions and access.
Have a good rest of the season and let's try and keep this site active.

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2023, 12:53 PM »
I agree with BM. Some comments on this site towards other members as well as offensive posts are grounds to be reported to the moderator where a time out or removal from the site would be justified. Keep it clean and stay on track of why this site is here.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2023, 04:36 PM »
It is indeed a fine line between being helpful and providing too much information. Many years ago when I published a few articles in The Western Sportsman, a Wildlife Manager warned me not to be too specific with my details, or I would likely ruin a good thing. I found out very quickly how right he was. Encountering a group in a crane hunting spot I wrote about, I was chagrined to learn they were there because of this article one of them had read. My article.

Not long after, the area was closed to hunting as it was receiving too much pressure.That painful lesson has stuck with me to this day

As for our newer sportsmen and women, I think they are merely replacing an older crowd that thought nothing of overfishing any lake they could access, or shooting as much of the "Queen's Beef" as they thought they could get away with. Education plus strong enforcement can alter such attitudes. Sadly though, we know how low a priority our natural resources have been with a succession of governments.

I think Farmboy is spot on.

When is the last time you met a Conservation Officer?

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2023, 06:38 PM »
You’re bang on speck.

I remember being checked almost every time we went out when I was a kid in the 90’s. You didn’t have to travel very far and you’d find a small town with a local CO office, which was great in my opinion.

They are stretched extremely thin these days, having to cover extremely large areas which is really unfortunate. Especially since we have the highest population we’ve ever had and it’s increasing everyday.

It could be recipe for disaster if we as anglers and outdoorsman aren’t forward thinking and proactive.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2023, 05:56 AM »
speck an farmboy hit the nail on the head.

Ive been involved in the hunt media industry- you have to be very careful of what is mentioned- I would tell each person that who was writing stories and submitting contact.  If that door opens a bit too much it will get kicked wide open.  With the ease of access to info these days as well- you get someone with a few brain cells, the use of g earth, google search, some pics etc and you can pretty much fins allot out fast.  Ive had guys set up and hunt beside me, almost fish on my lap, you name it.   

Really I have no problem sharing it all with a select group or helping those who ask out somewhat, thats part of being a sportsman.  But its a fine line and sometimes trusting the wrong ones can definitely change things.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2023, 08:14 AM »
In regards to the lack of posting, I noticed this same problem last year around this time. It seems like everyone gets excited earlier in the season and comments lots and then around this time the content drops off.

I am still fishing every weekend I can, and I guess I will keep posting.

Will keep in mind what you are all saying too.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2023, 09:14 AM »
maybe everyones hands are tied up with fish on the line?

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2023, 01:57 PM »
Is there enough ice to walk on? I was usually one of the first few on blackstrap.  Spring fishing in the shallow for walleye gets tough during the pandemic.  Icefishing for walleye has been normal. Agressive pike could get overfished, and I caught less in recent years.

Lake diefenbaker turns from getting odd giant burbot 10 years ago to more steady action now of mostly small ones. They are breeding well and coming back.

Offline eddiebear54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2023, 02:03 PM »
Here in PA it is due to lack of ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.