New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE  (Read 28867 times)

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Why even hold a tournament on superior? To go out and drink and weigh some 7” perch and kill the last 2 bass and pickeral that live in the lake? I’m at sad that Dec issued this permit
I agree unless a certain amount goes to stocking and habitat of that lake!  That place gets hammered.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Also I have been going to Fur Fin and Feather since it was across the street! It's a long time. I watched them grow their family and business and  be the best of people in the community from afar. From my humble perspective the new owners seem to be of that same quality. When you purchase at a local sport shop it comes with local knowledge.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
I agree unless a certain amount goes to stocking and habitat of that lake!  That place gets hammered.

I can't imagine 100+ guys on that little lake either. Crazy.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Atleast it looks like we’ll be on ice on most smaller lakers in the area again this weekend

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Over night low 16F...temperature  did not get above freezing all day yesterday . Gonna be a mixed bag for fishable ice this weekend. The smaller bow with no wind exposure seemed to faired better while other larger bow have had difficulty maintaining/making ice due mostly to wind/sun . North of me probably faired much better .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good evening if you are heading out to fish tomorrow (Feb, 4TH) dress warmly still will be windy day and early morning temperatures will be around (-3) or colder before adding in windchill. If you have a shelter and heater suggest you bring them to make the day more comfortable . Good fishing wished for everyone. Best to those entering the Lake Superior and Loch Sheldrake contests.
  Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
-6F for the overnight low ...north of me probably much colder .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Minus 9 here in owego just west of Binghamton

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
-10 in Long Eddy at 7 am. At least the wind died down.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
-10 in Long Eddy at 7 am. At least the wind died down.

The wind by me although bad was not what they were predicting ...at least the 50 mph gusts never happened.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Wind was bad yesterday, still today.   -8 here in Dutchess this morning, too bad its going to warm up again
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Dizzo1220

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone know if Big Pond go n Delaware county is iced up?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Good evening it was minus 2 here in New Windsor at seven this morning , Thankfully the wind speeds were lower today .

Dizzo1220 welcome to Ice shanty and the Southern NY. thread. This bait-tackle/sporting goods shop may have info. on ice conditions at Big pond . Fur Fin and Feather in livingston manor believe they open at 8:30 Am on Sundays .

Steve

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Curious to see the results for the tournaments anyone hear anything?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Dizzo1220 for your and other's reference here is the phone number for Fur Fin and Feahter in Livingston Manor (Sullivan county)  (845)-439-4476 the shop is open Wednesday through Sunday 9AM to 5 PM.

Hardwaterhoneky both the Loch Sheldrake Fire Department contest and the Lake Superior contest were held below is Facebook links for each contest with some results and photos.

Loch Sheldrake  https;//www.facebook.com/lochsheldrakefc1/

Lake Superior  https://www.facebook.com/Bam1427scroll down the page to see video clips the contest host shot.  Outdoor Water Ways is a guide service based in Sullivan county.

I did not see any measurement of ice mentioned on either page.

Steve

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks mr clean I’m not on Facebook so I appreciate you sending those links

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Hardwaterhonkey, you are welcome I do not have a Facebook account either just found the info. doing a Google search checked the links to see what if anything would be visible to those without accounts. Since I could view some photos from Loch Sheldrake contest and photos and videos from the Lake Superior contest passed the info. on for those who may be interested.

Steve

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
I haven’t gone ice fishing yet!

I’m bored so I’m reintroducing myself.

Chris Pooley, who started this thread, helped me through my noobness. He even gave an ice fishing class with the crew in my garage a few years ago.

If you see my gear, it looks like I’ve been doing this for decades. Nope. This year will be  season three.  For those who don’t know me, I tend to go into things 110%

An Otter X-over Pro Cottage insulated flip-over keeps me warm. The roto-molded sled is set on top of my DIY Smitty. I pull it handsfree with a ski pulk body harness and 6 foot fiberglass poles.

I carry all my rods (7+2 spare) and tackle in a Flambeau Rod case. 8” Eskimo Pistol bit auger partnered with a Dewalt 998 brushless drill with 9 AHr batteries cuts holes easily. A Dewalt DXH12B portable propane heater with Flame King refillable one pound tanks or 5 lb bulk tank provide heat. It has a fan, LED lights and USB ports. The heater stays in the truck as a backup or for a future overnight ice camping event that I haven’t done yet. Late last season, I acquired a small 10-15k BTU heater cooker combo in an effort to reduce drag weight. I love it!

For now, I’ve always felt comfortable with my Stryker Ice Climate insulated flotation suit. ActionHeat 5v heated vest, baselayer pants, socks and hand muff keeps me very comfortable.

I initially started with 6 iFish Pro’s. Now I exclusively use 7 Jawjackers, 3 which have the jigging bases. I just enjoy fighting a fish with ultra light rods and light line.

This season I’ll hand out iFish Pro’s to my fishing buddies who want to try it when we go out… they can carry all that bulk on the ice :) My Jawjackers/Jigging bases all fit in one bucket.

The Lakco ripple pucks work beautifully. No issues the past couple years. I cut/filed off the plastic eyelet because it gets tangled with the fishing line. I just ordered 4 more. If hole icing is not an issue, I just use a foam hole cover.

I also use the bobber delay setup that Automatic Fisherman pioneered. It allows the fish to get more of the bait in their mouth before setting the hook.

I use a Garmin 93SV+, LVS32, GLS10, 30AHr Amped LiFePO4 installed into a Summit shuttle and Fishing Specialties downrod. This system coupled with Aqua-Vu micro 5.0 camera helps me locate underwater structure, weed lines and fish.  The hard part is catching those damn fish. I’m getting better, but still have a lot to learn.

Shuttle and 7.5 Qt bait cooler with a rechargeable aerator is pulled by my DIY Rubbermaid plastic bin mini hole hopper. I think it’s my greatest invention for ice fishing. Holds 6 rods, baitfish net and an ice scoop.

For safety on the ice,  I carry a whistle, retractable ice picks, 50 foot rescue throw rope, quick release knife, first aid kit.

The truck is a different story. Spare tools, shovels, ropes, chains, winch, recovery gear, spare clothes, 12v heated blanket, advanced first aid, food, water.

I fish for the experience; for the fun of it; for the company.
I’m lucky that my best friend, my lovely wife, supports me in all my endeavors. She knows that I always go all-in whenever I start something new and actually makes sure I’m budgeted for my shenanigans. If not, I’d be in the poorhouse right now.

Here is my fishing day, which includes derbies and contests:
Drill holes, setup my jackers, attach my Vulture transmitter sensors, deploy my flip-over. Wander around the lake with hot coffee in hand, to say hi to friends and strangers. Make lunch and enjoying food with friends. Sometimes I even get strangers to join us.

The bonus of my day:
Hearing my Vulture remote sensor beeping, running (or walking) to a hole, fighting a fish on light line, landing a fish and taking that pic.

Thanks for reading.

Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline flounderman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • member since Dec 2005
Subway, nice rundown of gear! I Hope you get out there soon dude! Time is not on our side looking at the weather. There’s ice!
Where ya from, mind I ask? Any friend of pooley is a friend of us all here. 

I’ve become the total gear minimalist over the years. I do like the jawjackers but they’re a little bulky so they stay home.  I’m down to 2 or 3 beaver dams, a small custom styrofoam shiner cooler,  vexilar/case/glow cup, two custom jig rods, bait puck/spikes, small jig box, 5” mora and katoolas on my feet.
I hang the vex on the mora handle over my shoulder. My backpack holds the rest. 1 hand holds the bait and away I walk. This gets me away from any crowds pullin lots of weight. 
I’m a wonderer rather than a camper on the ice. Id rather move around the lake until I find the active fish. Then I’ll set up the tip ups. It’s a strategy that works well for me.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Subway, nice rundown of gear! I Hope you get out there soon dude! Time is not on our side looking at the weather. There’s ice!
Where ya from, mind I ask? Any friend of pooley is a friend of us all here. 

I’ve become the total gear minimalist over the years. I do like the jawjackers but they’re a little bulky so they stay home.  I’m down to 2 or 3 beaver dams, a small custom styrofoam shiner cooler,  vexilar/case/glow cup, two custom jig rods, bait puck/spikes, small jig box, 5” mora and katoolas on my feet.
I hang the vex on the mora handle over my shoulder. My backpack holds the rest. 1 hand holds the bait and away I walk. This gets me away from any crowds pullin lots of weight. 
I’m a wonderer rather than a camper on the ice. Id rather move around the lake until I find the active fish. Then I’ll set up the tip ups. It’s a strategy that works well for me.

Hi flounderman,

I’ve known Chris Pooley for years. He kept my race bike in tip top form when I did triathlons and long distance bike rides.  I never knew he was an ice fishing fanatic until he found out I was interested in it a few years ago.  I pulled together a group of dudes that were also noobs and he showed us his gear and how he used it.

We’ve been ice fishing together the past two years until he ran off with a girl far north, spitting distance from Canada. 😂

I guess I’m glad he’s found his great life. That was our loss here in Rockland.

But damn, always gotta be a girl that messes up the crew.  Lolololol

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Subway, I know where you caught that trout! :)

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey Subway, I know where you caught that trout! :)
As do I! Lol

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
So does everyone. Went from 0 to Zoo ever since Gab-alot posted and Blabbed about it some years ago.
First weekend after that particular post I went to check out the damage and counted 27 trucks! Any day including weekends prior I’d be surprised to see one. Thanks again. I still see people never learn.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
So does everyone. Went from 0 to Zoo ever since Gab-alot posted and Blabbed about it some years ago.
First weekend after that particular post I went to check out the damage and counted 27 trucks! Any day including weekends prior I’d be surprised to see one. Thanks again. I still see people never learn.

There hasnt been much ice in general, so when someone posts about it people will travel.   
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
A good lake turned to crap

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
KB, Ice wasn’t the point and had nothing to do with this.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Good evening for anyone interested the Hurleyville fire Department contest is still on for tomorrow (Feb.11) report on department's Facebook page says 7.5 -8 inches of ice on most of lake for details on contest go to  website HurleyvilleNY.com or the Facebook account.

www.hurleyvilleny.com                https://www.facebook.com/hurleyvillefiredepartment

Also this year's king of the ice contest has been cancelled due to concerns over ice safety.

Have a good weekend ,best to all fishing.
  Steve

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Feb 18 Mahogany Ridge Hunting and a Fishing Club contest also cancelled

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hurleyville Fire Department Ice Fishing contest at Morningside Lake was a great time!

19” Largemouth, 14” Bullhead and several pickerel were pulled up through an ice hole today. 

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice bass but you were risking a ticket not immediately releasing it as according to dec regs lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.