New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE  (Read 29364 times)

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice bass but you were risking a ticket not immediately releasing it as according to dec regs lol

Trying to stir up the crazies are you ?  LOL

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Nice bass but you were risking a ticket not immediately releasing it as according to dec regs lol

Actually according to the DEC Regs from Dec. 1st to June. 14th it's a catch and release season and if you read the definitions it says

Catch and Release

Measuring, weighing, and photographing the fish are permitted as long as the fish is not removed from the water for an extended period or handled in a manner that could cause harm.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/124971.html

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
The fish was entered in a nationwide bass monthly tournament which requires catch, pic and release. I follow all DEC regulations. It was released safe and sound. I’ve never kept a largemouth or smallmouth ever.

I always take a release video in case it’s questioned. I just don’t know how to upload a video on ice shanty

But here are the screenshot still pics from the video release.

Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline walley77

• IceShanty Rookie
I haven't seen any recent posts from gamolot in awhile, I hope all is well.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Trying to stir up the crazies are you ?  LOL
just having a laugh

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
just having a laugh
The stringer of pickeral make ppl weary not something to generally grab about

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
The stringer of pickeral make ppl weary not something to generally grab about
I was participating in an ice fishing contest.

All five of those fish were caught within 20 minutes of each other.   

The pickerel were kept alive until I got wind of the longest length of pickerel submitted for the ice contest. Then they were safely released since I was nowhere close to longest fish. The largie was kept for 90 seconds and released. The bullhead was brought to weigh-in and missed podium. My bud took it home for dinner.

Is there a better way to do this in a derby? Enlighten me please. 

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Pickerel generally dont tolerate handling well they die when the slime gets wiped off

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Pickerel generally dont tolerate handling well they die when the slime gets wiped off

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular

I was hoping that this site would be more interactive and everyone would enjoy sharing experiences about something that everyone is passionate about. I’m willing to learn new things and also willing to share things that I’ve learned.

Yesterday, I was at Lake Superior and someone actually recognized my truck and asked me if I was “the guy that posted the big bass on Ice Shanty.” I was pleased as punch that this site actually has folks that read my stuff.

What a great community of anglers!

Lloyd

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular

Thanks for the guidance. I will keep that in mind.

My question: How do I handle pickerel (and other fish) that would have to wait until  later in the day for the ice contest weigh-in/measuring?

I released my fish, but would’ve kept the largest for contest measuring if I knew it had a chance to podium.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
I haven't seen any recent posts from gamolot in awhile, I hope all is well.

I also hope he is well.
He and I were messaging each other a lot last year since we had something in common.
He’s a great guy.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
You should eat the pickerel they are as good as anything out there if you are fishing a derby just bring a cooler and put water in it easy enough

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I also hope he is well.
He and I were messaging each other a lot last year since we had something in common.
He’s a great guy.

Looks like he posted on a recent Snowdog thread a couple days ago ..hope all is well with him too.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
I tried once. Took me two hours to filet it. Those Y bones are a bear to deal with. Never doing that again.

You should eat the pickerel they are as good as anything out there if you are fishing a derby just bring a cooler and put water in it easy enough

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular

And I try to wipe as much slime as I can off every pickerel I catch.   ;D ;D

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
I tried once. Took me two hours to filet it. Those Y bones are a bear to deal with. Never doing that again.

Same here - I think I lost 3 lbs after that meal from all work involved - not worth it to me.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Learn to chew your food and they are no problem I just fillet like any other fish after cooking just use a couple forks to put meat out from center exposing them I also don't bread them anymore I just put butter and a little crisco and season with blackened fish seasoning fast no multi bowls to clean up and cook faster than breaded also if you keep the ones just legal size and cook well done the bones just about disintegrate

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
How about baking?
Thinking dont even scale, just gut and leave whole.
Foil lined baking sheet with elevated rack in it.
Place fish belly up on rack supported on sides by boiled potatoes.
Season inside body cavity and add some butter.
Bake with high heat, fast and hot.
Skin should fall away and meat flake away from bones with fork.
Cooking whole with bones and skin intact adds flavor.

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
I know a handful of guys that leave the Y bone in and send the fillets threw the food processor. Mix the meat in with bread crumbs seasoning and maybe a little mayo I think and make patties or roll balls out of it then grill or deep fry. Had them both ways and their actually really good! Can’t tell at all there is a bone in it. Myself they go right back down the hole only because I don’t have the heart to leave them on the ice

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Pickerel patties on a bun with cheese , tomato, lettuce and mayo is the best.
 I make them and freeze and take out and cook when wanted.. ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Pickerel patties on a bun with cheese , tomato, lettuce and mayo is the best.
 I make them and freeze and take out and cook when wanted.. ;)

Are you actually pickling them for 5 days and then freezing them ..and then cooking them ? I would think freezing them may make them mushy ...unless cooking them is the secret

Pickled and patties are your best bets for pickerel adding shrimp to the grind is not a bad idea  . But larger pickerel are your best bet for fillets ...several processes can be found on YouTube.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I know a handful of guys that leave the Y bone in and send the fillets threw the food processor. Mix the meat in with bread crumbs seasoning and maybe a little mayo I think and make patties or roll balls out of it then grill or deep fry. Had them both ways and their actually really good! Can’t tell at all there is a bone in it. Myself they go right back down the hole only because I don’t have the heart to leave them on the ice
Pickerel fish cakes and pickled pickerel are both delicious and an easy way  to avoid the fine bones.If the season isn't bad enough I broke my ankle last week. I still enjoy the site. But probably won't see any more  fishing  this season.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greetings, Beachwoods 16 sorry to hear about your ankle best wished for you with it healing properly .
Gamalot is doing well exchanged a few personal messages with him last week needed some of his knowledge on Sullivan County.
Subway4x4 there is a Hardwater Cuisine forum/board here on Ice Shanty maybe a few recipes for pickerel among the pages. You Tube should have a few videos on how to fillet Northern pike and remove the Y-bones just apply this to pickerel.

Good fishing wished to all planning a trip this week. Be careful and use your spud.
 Steve

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
grind pickerel make fish cakes they taste great

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
KB, Ice wasn’t the point and had nothing to do with this.

Well I have no idea what lake you are referring to and having no ice here I was thinking of coming out to Sullivan county just to say I made it out this year, but its not worth the time it takes to get there (1.5 hours).   I decided to prep my kayak for local fishing instead.   Kayak fishing in February....

Spot burning isnt good, I agree
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
And pickerel are delicious.  Both pickled and in fish cakes.   LOL
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well I have no idea what lake you are referring to and having no ice here I was thinking of coming out to Sullivan county just to say I made it out this year, but its not worth the time it takes to get there (1.5 hours).   I decided to prep my kayak for local fishing instead.   Kayak fishing in February....

Spot burning isnt good, I agree

KB - I haven’t stopped kayak fishing! Nov-Feb Stripers!

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Learn to chew your food and they are no problem I just fillet like any other fish after cooking just use a couple forks to put meat out from center exposing them I also don't bread them anymore I just put butter and a little crisco and season with blackened fish seasoning fast no multi bowls to clean up and cook faster than breaded also if you keep the ones just legal size and cook well done the bones just about disintegrate

Glad you enjoy them - they are not for me .....I have no desire to go thru that for fish.  I agree the meat is tasty when you finally get to it bone free, but .....I also know the eagles and seas gulls and crows and coyotes love them.  I don't like catching them, I don't like unhooking them, I don't like losing lures to them, and I don't like all the slime !   ;D ;D

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Or drill out an ice livewell, clam also makes a fish bag that can stick in the hole ignorance is bliss simple YouTube or google search does wonders if you really want to learn there’s plenty of options this board being one

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.