Author Topic: Any weekend fishing reports?  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any weekend fishing reports?
« on: Dec 20, 2004, 10:21 AM »
Did anyone head out ice fishing this past weekend? All weekend reports are welcome.

I myself went out for the first time this past Friday. Great day for fishing. The weather was above zero, but there was a slight breeze (35km). However, with the proper clothing and your back to the wind, you were laughing. Just soaking in the warm rays of the sun. Anyways, we fished the western pumphouse on the south end and didn't have too much luck. We had smelts on our tip-ups and presented minnows and maggots hoping for Perch and/or Walleye. We had a few hits on the tip-ups (although we didn't pull one out), but had no luck with the jigging. I don't think we even had a nibble from the Perch. The fellow fishing 20 or so meters from us however did have some action. He caught two Pike, 3lbs and 7lbs. The seven was a nice one. He got the first on his maggots as he was jigging (a bit odd), and caught the bigger Pike on his tip-up (large smelt). These Pike may have been the reason we had no action with Perch. We fished from 9:45am to 3:00pm. I believe next time I will be heading out well before light. The Perch have gotta be feeding at some point. We were fishing in 25 - 7 feet of water.

Tip of the Day: Always wear sunglasses when ice fishing outdoors no matter the weather. Your eyes will thank you.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Any weekend fishing reports?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2004, 10:27 AM »
Oh ya. There was a good 11 inches of ice where we were fishing.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2004, 12:08 PM »
Any reports of lakes within the S'toon vacinity having good action? I would like to take advantage of my upcoming holidays with some good ice fishing. Thanks.

Offline fish nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2004, 07:33 PM »
FISH NUT: here ,herd people pulling in walleye at irqua north of Blain lake.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2004, 08:59 PM »
will hopefully be hitting makwa lake friday, sat, sun. usually a good bet for lots of perch
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2004, 08:28 AM »
Best of luck MP :tipup:

FISH NUT
 I have heard that Iroquios has really improved over the past 2-3 years.
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2004, 08:51 AM »
MP, do you go out from Pine Cove Resort? I used to fish Makwa almost every year (on open water) when I stayed at my friends' place north of Loon Lake.  After spending a day or 2 figuring out where the fish were I used to do really well there.  Some years the walleye bite would be good, too, but they never got the chance to get really big there.  Art and Anne Huys ran Pine Cove, then took over the gov. campground next door, and I thought they were top notch people, letting me put the canoe in there and park all day, etc.  At the spring opener there wouldn't be many people around except for American bear hunters.  Art used to run a back-hoe to take up the slack in business in the winters.  If you stop at the store there ask if it's still the Huys' would you?
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2004, 10:42 AM »
yeah we usually drive on at pine cove, not sure if the store is open at all in the winter. hopefully headed out there tommorow to get some of those tasty stripped beggars.

Offline fish nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2004, 08:42 PM »
APU GARCIA

Iraqua had good white fish after having redused bag limits for years.
 but the water is so low know you can walk under the bridge on land on water or ice.
people use to fish 5 feet from the edge of the open water in winter good action .
C,O said ever year some one fell in the drink in that spot .Know you have to walk 75 yards it find 6to 8 feet of water..

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2004, 07:03 PM »
got out to pine cove today got 40 perch or so and 2 walleye will probably go out that way tommorow or waterhen depending on the weather.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2004, 07:07 AM »
Mission continues to be good...my friend and I caught about 30 walleye in 2 1/2 hrs (only 6 or 7 keepers, though) and a couple of perch.  We hit that evening bite from 3 till 6 (almost).  Maybe try Colllingwood tomorrow.  I love it! This is probably as close as I get to good clean fun! :o
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2004, 08:57 PM »
4 of us went out today at pine cove on lower makwa got around 200 or so perch i'd say, kept maybe 60-75 ate a couple dozen for supper tonite.

Offline fish nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2004, 09:31 PM »
where is Pine cove?
what lake is it at and how do you get there??

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2004, 04:14 PM »
pine cove is on lower makwa lake just north of the town of loon lake.

fishing nut

« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2004, 08:01 PM »
Mission continues to be good...my friend and I caught about 30 walleye in 2 1/2 hrs (only 6 or 7 keepers, though) and a couple of perch.  We hit that evening bite from 3 till 6 (almost).  Maybe try Colllingwood tomorrow.  I love it! This is probably as close as I get to good clean fun! :o
Just wondering if you made it out to collingwood and if you did how was the fishing and ice conditions? :blink: :unsure:

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2004, 09:50 PM »
Collingwood suks, Rowans suks, went to Glen Harbour, but didn't fish.  Back  to Mission next time! ;)  Enough ice to driive, but don't try to drive down the boat launch at Rowan's :woot: This time last year fishing was good at Collingwood, but not now...nobody at all there.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2004, 12:36 PM »
I went to Anglin on Tuesday and Wednesday, caught lots of little pike and a 6 that were over 5lbs, lots of perch as well but not very many good sized ones, although 2 were close to 1 1/2lbs. Only 2 walleye in 2 days tho, 1 4/12lbs and the otgher 3lbs. Happy fishing to all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.