New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Glen lake  (Read 1808 times)

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Glen lake
« on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:04 PM »
I was planning on trying there for the first time on Saturday at the public access.  I read on a FB  post that there is a bubbler making that access unsafe. 
We planned on bringing my 8 year old grandson and I don't want any safety issues. 
Can someone please provide insight.
Thank you

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Glen lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:31 PM »
Hey Tuna, not familiar with that lake so sorry I can’t help. Sucks that there’s a bubbler that close to the public launch

Offline Icehole88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:32 PM »
Tuna,I haven't been myself but I have heard the same thing about the access being a little sketchy...moreau lake is pretty close to glen,and much safer access with the little one,there's a hill for the kids to slide and even a playground,,,there was 6 inches of good ice sunday,,hope this helps.that's where I'll be Saturday!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2021, 06:40 AM »
I can't honestly say how the access is but I know there were a number of groups out there yesterday when I drove by around 1:30pm , so it can't be that bad.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2021, 07:08 AM »
Tuna,I haven't been myself but I have heard the same thing about the access being a little sketchy...moreau lake is pretty close to glen,and much safer access with the little one,there's a hill for the kids to slide and even a playground,,,there was 6 inches of good ice sunday,,hope this helps.that's where I'll be Saturday!

Ive never been but a friend had m fished Round Oond to the south of Glen Lake. Looks like there is access just off round pond road. DEC site says it has pickerel, bass, sunnies and bluegill.

What kid doesn’t like chasing pickerel flags?

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2021, 07:29 AM »
Thanks for the information.  He loves hunting and fishing.  He did pretty well chasing pike last weekend on Minerva. 

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2021, 08:03 AM »
Parking lot was jammed this past Saturday morning and it was hairy near the access because of a bubbler. This weekend's warm-up will not help.

Locals who know the owner of the restaurant next door get on there, but I wouldn't suggest parking there during their business hours without their permission. Also, anyone fishing Glen Lake at the municipal access should know that last year there were lots of complaints about trash and access beyond the launch's hours, which I think is sunrise to sunset.

I could be wrong, but I thought Round Pond was privately owned by the Glens Falls Country Club. I'd be careful there too, without permission. Moreau Lake is a safe bet and like Glen Lake, there's rainbows in there. Been thinking of going there myself.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2021, 08:17 AM »
Parking lot was jammed this past Saturday morning and it was hairy near the access because of a bubbler. This weekend's warm-up will not help.

Locals who know the owner of the restaurant next door get on there, but I wouldn't suggest parking there during their business hours without their permission. Also, anyone fishing Glen Lake at the municipal access should know that last year there were lots of complaints about trash and access beyond the launch's hours, which I think is sunrise to sunset.

I could be wrong, but I thought Round Pond was privately owned by the Glens Falls Country Club. I'd be careful there too, without permission. Moreau Lake is a safe bet and like Glen Lake, there's rainbows in there. Been thinking of going there myself.

Good catch, guess I have to eat crow (again). He must have been referencing round pond in Thurman, which while public is pretty remote.

Apologies for the confusion.

Offline Icehole88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2021, 12:18 PM »
Lots of pickerel in moreau,it does get fished pretty heavy but the parking lot is good size,a lot of the cars will be hikers.guys are definitely fishing Glen but my buddy said he wouldn't recommend it with the little guy,hope this helps

Offline Icehole88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2021, 12:28 PM »
Got this monster last weekend...lol

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2021, 04:59 PM »
Thanks,  we've made alternative plans.
He's a good Fisher whose iced plenty as well as a good hunter that can sit quietly for hrs in a tree stand. 
Just don't want to put him in a bad situation on a place I've never been before. 
Thanks again for the help

I have 9 grandchildren and they all enjoy the outdoors

Offline Icehole88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2021, 06:30 PM »
That's great!Nothing better than fishing with the kids,hope you guys have and catch a bunch!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2021, 06:35 PM »
Some happy kiddos right there!

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2021, 05:21 AM »
Bring a cot and a sleeping bag everytime I've gone there havent caught nothing sleeper lake for me

Offline RedneckofLatham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2021, 07:27 AM »
Access is sketchy there is a big crack and a half sunken ladder looks like someone went swimming the bubbler is close to the access but we were able to get on bring a spud and know how to use it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.