Author Topic: Panfish Rod Questions/Suggestions  (Read 1920 times)

Offline CJohnson27

• IceShanty Rookie
Panfish Rod Questions/Suggestions
« on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I know I know! Another Panfish rod question. So I am using the HT Ice Blue rod as my go to panfish right now. I realized the rods in my bag I can never have enough! I ordered a EC inline reel but want to get a rod for it. I love my Ice Blue but the eyelets are so small on them and up here in MN when I am running and gunning the end eyelets freeze up so dang fast!

My question is does anyone have any experience or recommendations with/for  a rod similar to the HT except with bigger eyelets? I love the sensitivity but having the solid backbone on it. But I dont wanna spend over that $50-60 range on one. Id love a bullwhip but just dont have a good excuse to give the wife right now lol

Thanks in Advance!

:tipup:

Offline clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Panfish Rod Questions/Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:11 PM »
You may want to look at the Frabill Quick Tip rod, I have 3 Frabill 371 In-Line Reels and I love them, also have a Black Betty 6061 on a Frabill Quick Tip, look around you may find something else you like.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:55 PM »
I picked up a Beaver Dam noodle rod this year. I think I paid $20.00 at my local bait shop. It has bigger eyes like what your looking for. Really a nice rod for the price.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2018, 04:45 PM »
I dont wanna spend over that $50-60 range on one.

Maybe something like a DH Baitrunner noodle?  It's a production build on the Al Dente blank.  I got a 24" setup for my son to use, but found i like to use it too.   

Offline CJohnson27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:55 AM »
I dont know what it is but I am not a fan of Frabill. Maybe its just been bad luck in the past. I am trying to find a one 3 snitch and see they have them in a descent combo but cant find a LH version in stock anywhere.

Offline clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:18 AM »
Try bigcountrysportinggood s.com or sportsmensdirect.com

Offline CJohnson27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:07 AM »
Try bigcountrysportinggood s.com or sportsmensdirect.com

Have you ever bought from bigcountrysportinggood s.com? I see they have it but have never heard of them before.

Offline clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:15 AM »
I just happened to notice that both of them had them, haven't bought from either one, only one way to find out how honest they are.

Offline CJohnson27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:07 PM »
Ran to the last local store around town that has ice stuff and they had a few options of 13 combos. Ended up grabbing the wicked ice combo in a 25 inch light. Snappy with some good backbone and a decent real for $35. Was pleasantly surprised!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Make your own.  A nice solid fiberglass noodle rod about $4-5, guides about $1 each, a nice cork handle for $5 or so.  You can use a fly tying bobbin to wrap the guides.  I've built a couple, I love them.  Sportsmensdirect, Mudhole, etc all offer what you need.

Offline CJohnson27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2018, 05:36 AM »
Make your own.  A nice solid fiberglass noodle rod about $4-5, guides about $1 each, a nice cork handle for $5 or so.  You can use a fly tying bobbin to wrap the guides.  I've built a couple, I love them.  Sportsmensdirect, Mudhole, etc all offer what you need.

Id love to make my own but have no idea how to attach guides. Maybe thatll be a summer project....

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2018, 09:15 AM »
Ran to the last local store around town that has ice stuff and they had a few options of 13 combos. Ended up grabbing the wicked ice combo in a 25 inch light. Snappy with some good backbone and a decent real for $35. Was pleasantly surprised!

that rod in the 19 inch ultra lite is my favorite. you can buy the rod you just bought with out the reel, so if you like it and want to use your reels or choose a different one you can. you got yours at a good price. the rod is 30$ by itself.
they quit making the the rod in the length i like. the short handle makes them extra nice too. they also made a 19sul if you can find any of those on the web. it's slightly stiffer than the ul version.

suggest adding frabill titanium strike indicator to your rods. some days fish don't pull or lift and are still mouthing your bait. this helps better than any thing else and is adjustable for different weights and collapses if you want to use a spoon and for stowing.

also recommend rod slix sleeves to protect your rods and keep tangles away. clam sells a 2 pack for 10$. just push the jig into the bottom of the rod handle is what i do and use the bungee cord to hold the reel handle in one place.

sunniewally

« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2018, 01:39 PM »
JR tackles power stick for 30 buck is really nice as is the frabill

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:26 AM »
I know you said you don't like Frabill, but I've got a 371 inline reel on a 27" quiktip, and personally love it. It's in my hand about 90% of the time when I'm panfishing.

Offline clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:50 AM »
Love the Frabill 371 In-Line Reel with the Quick Tip rod, have 3 of them plus have a Quick-Tip rod with a Black Betty 6061 on it.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2018, 11:28 AM »
I have the HT Ice Blues and love them except, as you say, the eye at the tip is a little small. I will be getting a couple of these before next season. Very similar to the HT's but larger eyes.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/schooleys-arctic-blue-ice-fishing-rod?a=313700
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline CJohnson27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2018, 11:34 AM »
I have the HT Ice Blues and love them except, as you say, the eye at the tip is a little small. I will be getting a couple of these before next season. Very similar to the HT's but larger eyes.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/schooleys-arctic-blue-ice-fishing-rod?a=313700

Another thing I noticed this weekend was that all the HT's I have found either the tips curve or the eyelets twist along the the whole rod.

Was real weird. Looked like based off how the stores are hanging them they are all warping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.