The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best ice house for the money  (Read 1334 times)

Offline JonnyDegenhart

• IceShanty Rookie
Best ice house for the money
« on: Feb 23, 2018, 02:44 PM »
I was just wondering what the best ice house for the money is?

Offline Fr33Th1nk3r

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best ice house for the money
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:01 PM »
Probably the eskimo evo1, fx100, clam insulated flip over. Those 2-3 man hubs are good too for 150 to 200.

Cabelas is a waste of money imo.
A bad day fishing beats a good day working.

Offline titan666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Cabelas pop ups are made by Clam. And just because they say Cabelas on them also means they have their lifetime guarantee. Don't own one... yet.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2018, 04:40 PM »
Bought a 2 man ice house branded "tangkula", I believe, off Amazon this year for $74.99. Little black colored hut. Carrying bag is terrible, but the ice house itself has made it through this full season with no issues at all. Up easy, down easy. I fish a lot by myself, so it's perfect. Also move around to different depths once I find a spot, so works great as a warming house without having to invest a ton! Don't know about multiple year durability, but we'll see. Not brand name, but pretty darn happy for under $75.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2018, 04:51 PM »
I was just wondering what the best ice house for the money is?
. Welcome to iceshanty! To help everyone answer your question better, where abouts are you located? (Possible need for better insulating) Do you usually fish alone or with family or friends? Would heavier models be something you could not physically handle? Any size requirements due to your vehicle that you would be using? Lots of things to consider, but with more info everyone will be able to give you better imput.

Offline Fr33Th1nk3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:13 PM »
Cabelas pop ups are made by Clam. And just because they say Cabelas on them also means they have their lifetime guarantee. Don't own one... yet.

Eh I meant you're paying for the brand name premium. But yeah I just meant to OP thst insulated usually are better made and will last s lot longer.
A bad day fishing beats a good day working.

Offline titan666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:27 PM »
I can appreciate that. And I'm not one to thump around the Cabelas brand name because I do think that their product is inferior to most, but at least they're competitive. I haven't noticed them being overpriced in comparison to clam, Eskimo, etc. In regards to hub styles, I know their ice team 5 had an insulated roof and 360 degree view out the windows instead of the peep holes. If that's the direction I was going I would look at them pretty seriously just because they're bound to take some abuse from the wind and other elements, so in the event that something goes wrong with it you can take it back and have it replaced, no questions asked.

Offline jms5580

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2018, 10:53 PM »
Cabela's is made by Clam FYI. I have it and love it. Price is comparable. I've never heard of paying a premium for Cabela's. The gear is either made by them for a discount price or it's made by a third party for a comparable price. The bag is huge which I hear makes a big difference. I've had it up a few times and no issues to speak of. Black color soaks up the heat. I've fished plenty 5 degree windy days and need to shed layers inside, especially when there's sun. It's not cheap but I think it's worth the money.

Offline crlogging

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:37 AM »
Maybe I just have bad luck but I've gone through 2 cabelas ice huts in the last 3 years and i dont use them often maybe setting them up only 6 times a year when its super cold out. The first one lasted 2 seasons until the zippers quit working and the seems startes ripping apart. The second only lasted one season until the seems started pulling apart. They are cheap but I wouldn't buy another I'm looking for something else right now

Offline Tworivers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2018, 09:18 AM »
Just my 2 cents worth but I have 3 otter flip up shelters.  I made many trips to stores to inspect all the different brands out there and those things you mentioned zipper, seams, ect. clams have better seats but the thing that sold me was otter has square tubing, if you have ever worked with metal, square tubing is usually stronger than round tubing.  I bought my first one six years ago and it is like new. ;D
If I could just stop fishing maybe I could stop drinking

Offline RME.RET

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Anyone looking a the Frabil, Citadel or Predator? they have that side entry that is like very nice in the shop was wondering if it's still as nice on the ice?? Lots of room too, thinking I'll get one for next season?? 
"Fishy, fishy in the Brook, Come and bite my little hook!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.