Author Topic: Handy items you pack  (Read 2496 times)

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
Handy items you pack
« on: Mar 03, 2018, 05:01 PM »
Lock de-icer, I always carry a squeeze bottle or two in my gear.  I have a quick coupler on my Eskimo which lets me separate my flighting from the motor.  I haven't put my extension on as of yet because it is still doable without and after I drilled my holes, I knocked off the slush from the flighting and set about fishing.  When I went to take the coupler apart at the end of the day, it was frozen solid with slush.  I forgot how deep I had it buried and didn't clean that portion of the auger.  A couple squirts it with some lock de-icer and apart it came.  Not the end of the world scenario but was nice to get it apart so everything fit under the box cover of my truck for the trip home.

What do you carry that others may have not thought of and can save the day?

Offline Walleye Annihilator

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Handy items you pack
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Shovel, Tow Rope, bottle of Apricot Brandy to mention a few  :)

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2018, 08:43 PM »
Good to know that I am not the only one to pack apricot brandy!  Tow rope, jumper cables and spade for shoveling. 

Offline 3rdgenrf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2018, 04:37 PM »
A mini-butane torch. Waaay easier to light the fire than  fumbling with a lighter or matches. I've also used it a few times for thawing out my lock

Offline jiffy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2018, 07:49 PM »
Compass and multitool

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2018, 07:52 PM »
 that's a great idea.  also agree with the human anti-freeze. 

if i do a trip anywhere outside cel service i just make sure i have enough tow rope, propane leatherman and ice shack to last for a long time.  if you get stuck on the ice or side of the road what's the worst that happens?  enjoy some apricot brandy!

also, i pack an extra auger and heater on long trips as those are necessities.  i guess it really all depends on where you're heading.

Offline Clam Strike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2018, 10:40 PM »
I also pack an extra Allen key for my auger. This weekend I was trying to heat up my extension as I had buried the joint. Thawed it out on my buddy heater in my shack thinking I was so smart, and drpped my Allen key down the hole! Thankfully I had another.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2018, 11:11 PM »
Booster cables
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2018, 11:44 PM »
Ice picks and a spud bar come with on every trip along with the big buddy, weber propane bbq, director chair with fold up side table and chuck-it to keep the dog busy. I also like to bring a shovel and rope, interlocking fatigue mats, insulated hole covers, stocked cooler, extra flasher/gps, extra bait, extra gloves, extra forceps, small towel, hand crank radio, solar powered lantern/phone charger, head lamp, extra batteries, rods, traps, lures, sunglasses and of course my shack. I should also mention the sled with cover and snowmobile or atv to pull it. That's bare bones keeping it light runnin and gunnin fishin for me, your version might vary.

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:04 AM »
I have never needed it, but a buddy of mine told me a small pipe wrench is a must. If your auger gets stuck in the hole you can use it to back the auger out.

Offline slicktrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:21 AM »
I always bring my trusty 6” Swede-bore as a back auger and you have to have a roll of two ply in a zip lock.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:49 AM »
Always a 6" hand auger and sometimes a shovel.

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2018, 01:06 PM »
I learnt the hard way and always pack an axe!!!

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2018, 01:33 PM »
I learnt the hard way and always pack an axe!!!
Yes, some time a shovel is just not enough to free a stuck car.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2018, 02:06 PM »
On my backwoods sled trips fishing and hunting I always pack homemade tinder quick, firesteel, Fallkniven survival knife, ceramic CC4 stone,  Hultafors axe, multi tool, flashlight, Petromax stove, stainless steel cup, Petromax Hobo Stove, Goretex bivy, extra fur cap and always wear my Swanndri. Tool kit, extra belts for sled, extra fuses and extra chain for my saw and lots of fuel.

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2018, 02:46 PM »
I have never needed it, but a buddy of mine told me a small pipe wrench is a must. If your auger gets stuck in the hole you can use it to back the auger out.

I had a auger get stuck 3/4 way down, it would turn part of a round backward with a pipe wrench, but would not back out, still don’t know why. Used a ice chisel to chip it out, so I try to take a ice chisel or at least a Allan wrench to leave just the auger behind when I go for more tools.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2018, 02:47 PM »
 ;D Several good tips in this thread! I've never been accused of not bringing enough stuff but my best duplicate to date is an extra shovel! If I get stuck I don't wanna be the only one shovelin ;D! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline jigapoolza

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2018, 01:38 PM »
A spare hose for the big buddy heater can save the day.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Shovel Tow slings X3 Jumper cables 12 Volt Compressor Socket set Screwdrivers Cordless drill and 1/4 inch bits for pre drilling ice anchor holes. Small pipe wrench. Spare spark plugs for the Auger. Then all my ice fishing gear and sometimes wonder if there will be enough room left in the vehicle for ME.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2018, 08:52 PM »
I think of all the items named and all the things that a person loads in and usually loads out, everyone has miss one important thing. TOILET PAPER.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2018, 08:45 AM »
After yesterday sunscreen got added to my list.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.