New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 223238 times)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #1290 on: Mar 03, 2020, 07:32 PM »
I was out this morning off Brown's.  No problem, still 10" of ice, top bit is soft but rest still solid.  There are a couple cracks fairly close to Brown's but not hard to get over them.  There were a couple of guys with an ice boat yesterday, but ice was too soft and the wind wasn't strong enough to make up for it.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1291 on: Mar 03, 2020, 08:12 PM »
I drove around the lake today around 12:30 and I guess I just missed the guys going through around 1. Me and my father saw the 2 guys on a side by side right in the middle of the lake, just north of snake hill.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1292 on: Mar 05, 2020, 05:57 AM »
That's it for access at Brown's.  The lake came up a foot or more (not sure if that was rain or they closed the gates on the dam), and what ice is near the shore is only a couple inches thick, with lots of water.   A long plank might get you out, but I found out the hard way that one of the larger floes won't support you.  Luckily its only a few inches deep, and I didn't really go through, just fell and the ice submerged, so I got wet and couldn't drive around and see if Fitch or the launch ramp had access. 

Its been my experience in the past that when the lake comes up it is sometimes possible to use the launch ramp, since the ice goes straight up and down with the level of the lake instead of opening a gap.  That could be in the past, with all the bubblers around the bridge area anymore.

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #1293 on: Mar 06, 2020, 08:18 PM »
Was wide open under the budge  last weekend
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #1294 on: Mar 09, 2020, 11:03 PM »
Any ice left up in fish creek? Can you get on?
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1295 on: Dec 20, 2020, 07:13 AM »
The main part of the lake is completely iced over this morning, but it looks sketchy.  It was open before the storm, so most of the new ice will have very little snow on top.  There was a couple hundred yards of ice at the south end before the storm.  There are a number of wet cracks going across the lake, so I don't think its safe yet. A couple more days with low temps and low winds should do it.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1296 on: Dec 26, 2020, 06:40 AM »
Gonna have to start all over again.  The lake opened up with the wind and the rain.  A couple groups were fishing a hundred yards or so out from Brown's before then.  Let's hope it gets cold with no wind soon.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #1297 on: Dec 27, 2020, 04:46 PM »
Can`t wait to fish for walleye`s... :tipup:
Master Laker taker.

Offline celticman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1298 on: Dec 27, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Anyone fishing on saratoga or brant lake yet

Offline Model30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1299 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:54 AM »
Has anyone caught any trout in saratoga lake

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1300 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:57 AM »
Can’t say I’ve seen a trout pulled out of Saratoga, open or hard water

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1301 on: Jan 08, 2021, 10:18 AM »

Sewer trout maybe

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1302 on: Jan 08, 2021, 11:23 AM »

I witnessed my buddy catch a brookie years ago and then another person I know also caught a brookie (both while crappie fishing). Those are the only two I know of and I've lived in toga for 30 years.

Needless to say, not something you want to target.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline butkusbowman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1303 on: Jan 08, 2021, 02:08 PM »
I would agree that they aren't really a plentiful species in the lake. The Kaydeross does flow into there and that's probably where the trout come from.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1304 on: Jan 08, 2021, 04:09 PM »
Funny this question came up last year few more get lost then people think apparently

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1305 on: Jan 08, 2021, 05:25 PM »
I personally caught a 14" rainbow on Saratoga during summer of 2018  while trolling for walleye
  I've fished that lake since the early 70's and that's the first and only I've ever seen  must have come down the Kaydeross

Offline Innes6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1306 on: Jan 10, 2021, 12:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

Last night I was out on 2" of crystal clear ice on the south side of the lake scouting. Spider cracking like crazy, but being able to see bottom so clearly was too good to pass up.

This morning at 6:30 we were looking at an uncommonly uniform 2.5" on the south side of the lake, and significantly less spider cracking.

I am going to try to go out this evening, and tomorrow morning I would expect to see 3", but I will update as soon as I can get a measuring tape with actual numbers.

UPDATE: A friend tells me that the north side of the lake is a solid 6". This is because after the large storm and warm spell, they opened the dam, and the ice began to flow toward fish creek. The creek and surrounding areas are subsequently 6".

I access from my home on the south of the lake, but it appears that the north side is fishable for anyone accessing from the State boat launch or the kayak launch.

So as for the south side of the lake (Including Browns Beach, where I know many access)... We are very close boys and girls, VERY close, and on the north, GO FISH!

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1307 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:38 PM »
Great report innes6! Keep us updated and fingers crossed for a healthier 4-5” ice by this coming weekend

Offline d73dunn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1308 on: Jan 11, 2021, 01:25 AM »
Are there any updates on the conditions of Round Lake or Ballston Lake or any of the other lakes in the Saratoga Area?

Offline ronl47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1309 on: Jan 11, 2021, 04:16 AM »
I caught one bullhead fishing years ago , a friend of mine caught 2 while crappie fishing off of Snake Hill on the same morning 3 years ago

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1310 on: Jan 11, 2021, 07:54 AM »
Are there any updates on the conditions of Round Lake or Ballston Lake or any of the other lakes in the Saratoga Area?

They are frozen, but have only been frozen all the way through for under 2 weeks. There have been a few people on them but not much. I do not know actual ice measurements.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1311 on: Jan 11, 2021, 05:53 PM »
Lots of guys out on the south end the last 3 days.  3" of hard ice this afternoon.  First fishermen on the latest ice were observed Friday.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1312 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:59 PM »
4" ice on toga where we fished. Did pretty good on the gils. Decent amount of guys on south end. Saw a guy out on ice w quad. Seems early for that but to each their own.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1313 on: Jan 12, 2021, 01:07 PM »
4" ice on toga where we fished. Did pretty good on the gils. Decent amount of guys on south end. Saw a guy out on ice w quad. Seems early for that but to each their own.

Way to get out. I saw your gear on shore via your cam (thanks for that by the way) wasn’t sure if you headed out and went back in the house.

Offline Crappie Killr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1314 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:11 PM »
We ventured out to the new ice on the south end this evening, it was about 2.5”, I was breaking through on the 3rd hit with my spud.  Just a little too thin for our comfort level. We did watch a group of boys ice skate from the east shore 3/4 the way across towards the Kayaderros and then north to Mannings, not very smart, hope they stayed dry. Fishing was slow.

Offline Brookie442

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1315 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:41 AM »
Hey everyone I have a quick question for you.  What is the average size range of the walleye in Saratoga lake?

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #1316 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:48 AM »
Hey everyone I have a quick question for you.  What is the average size range of the walleye in Saratoga lake?

Most of the eyes ive caught on toga have been in the 17-21" range

Offline Brookie442

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1317 on: Jan 13, 2021, 11:24 AM »
Thanks man, those are a good average size and fun to fish for. What size length would you consider to be catching a good one there?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1318 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:26 PM »
Thanks man, those are a good average size and fun to fish for. What size length would you consider to be catching a good one there?

We get a ton of 5-6lbers during open water season... which go 25-26”.

Offline Brookie442

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1319 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:28 PM »
Very cool! Those are some nice ones. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.