New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 131860 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #1080 on: Feb 11, 2024, 12:31 PM »
👍👍👍✌️✌️✌️
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1081 on: Feb 11, 2024, 04:40 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

If you plan on fishing the Pond ,bring the boat. Looks funny out my back window. To see open water with waves from shore to shore. Obviously the Sandy Pond  Sportsmen Association has canceled their Derby much as last year. However, also as last year, they have elected to hold the raffle anyway. The raffle will be held upstairs at the club starting @ 4:00pm on Sunday with free chili and cookies being served. There will be lots and lots of raffle items generously donated by our local sponsors. The premier item this year is the 40 volt Strikmaster auger.

On Friday evening Club President, Denise Schroeder will be upstairs selling raffle tickets  while live entertainment (Rich Hart)  will be playing down stairs at the bar.

If the raffle is anything like last year, the crowd will be wall to wall and a great opportunity to get together with our fishing friends & families, especially during this our shortened ice fishing season. I hope to see many of my fishing buds there.

Boggey

Post Script: if you can’t ice fish , surely you have a yarn or two to embellish 😁
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1082 on: Feb 12, 2024, 03:56 PM »
Thanks for all of your reports on the pond this year Boggey!!! Think I’m going to take up cribbage🤦🏻😁
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1083 on: Feb 12, 2024, 06:46 PM »
Thanks for all of your reports on the pond this year Boggey!!! Think I’m going to take up cribbage🤦🏻😁
Yo KP,
You are always welcome my friend. I’ve been trying to get you and Freddy up here for the last 4 years to “larn” you how to play cribbage. Always got some chili ready to nuke and a non stop coffee maker👍

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1084 on: Feb 15, 2024, 11:17 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

My old fishing Bud, BigBuck is coming up from PA to stay with us for a few days. Last year he covered the ice @ Eel with perch. Going to get him around to LOTI, Goose, Chippewa and Eel. I am not cleaning them all this year. He catches too many.😁

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1085 on: Feb 17, 2024, 04:56 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Well the Boggey clan made its way to Chippewa today. My son , and grandsons came , along with some of his old high school buds.  It was a slow start, but by 9:30 we really got into the perch.
We all did well. I will be cleaning fish till midnight. The only negative was the condition of the ice. Most holes we cut showed 5-6 inches of ice thickness, while some holes cut we witnessed 4 inches. Caution is warranted with the (2 ) 40 degree days coming next week.

The Sandy Pond Sportsman’s raffle is taking place tomorrow (Sunday) and drawings will start at 4:00pm upstairs at the club. Hope to see you there. The boys and I posed for a selfy.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1086 on: Feb 17, 2024, 05:22 PM »
glad you had fun boggey

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1087 on: Feb 18, 2024, 05:39 AM »
Nice Jim..

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1088 on: Feb 18, 2024, 05:57 AM »
Boggey, enjoy the "raffle" today. Nice picture of all the "boys"....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1089 on: Feb 18, 2024, 04:12 PM »

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1090 on: Feb 22, 2024, 06:40 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Well everyone, sorry there isn’t very much news to share about the Pond, but I and my friends have been active chasing the remaining ice havens up north.

No complaints, despite the hour early start and additional gas to get up there, you won’t hear much griping from this guy. (Sounds like griping to me)

My good friend from PA, BigBuck chose this week to make his semi-annual visit . He too chasing the illusive ice fishing venues through out PA and New York.

Bad news, bad bite this last week. Good news, we didn’t give up. Stayed late to salvage some decent catches on Tuesday and Wednesday. Sending him back to PA with 5 big bags of fillets. Thankfully saved a 15 year friendship, but sure my fishing buddy and I are bonded by more than a few bags of perch.

Fishing makes for long lasting friendships. To know BigBuck and his triumph over adversity makes me a better man. Well enough of the smalsy stuff. BigBuck will be back this summer to scour the north country waters to take some white meat back to the Quaker State.
Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1091 on: Feb 24, 2024, 12:03 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Made it out today. The specter of  “the last ice fishing day” looms darkly over our collective heads. Remember there are those more risk adverse than others. That risk level is fastly approaching for this old geezer. It was Eel Bay for me today.

If not the last day, it pretty much echoed the start of this season. Sitting on a bucket with bare-bones fishing gear to cover the icescape more quickly. That I did with limited success. Managed a light but respectable 12 count on the perch and an unsuspected surprise 28” pike. It was a relatively warm day, a bit overcast with light winds, a perfect day for “catchin” should the bay be willing to give up its treasures. Unlike the previous 2 days on Eel, the bite was good, but beset with the overly zealous onslaught of small, little, light weight, tiny, diminutive perch.

The task of sorting becomes priority #1 on days such as this.
And so , the question becomes, do I want to bring home a pail full of 7 and 8 inch perch to clean till midnight or a few respectably sized perch and go to bed early. Obviously, I chose the later.

Eel is going to be cold and windswept tomorrow. When I left the ice, the average thickness was 6 inches. Lots of standing water and a thin layer of slush here and there. The parking area is crowded and the drag through the woods is a muddy mucky mess. Tonight’s low temps should give us another shot at “last day”.  Selective consideration by this old geezer lends me to choose Sunday over Saturday. 

Whatever day you choose, please be safe out there whatever your risk assessments.

Boggey

Offline jperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1092 on: Feb 24, 2024, 10:47 PM »
Nice pike Jim, perfect eater size!

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1093 on: Feb 25, 2024, 08:34 AM »
Way to stay on top Boggey, hinkydo  is still in Florida.
Hope to be home around the first of April.
Still love perch'en in the boat.

hinkydo Fish ON

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1094 on: Feb 25, 2024, 09:14 PM »
Yo jperch

Thanks my friend. Nice to hear from you. Fished LOTI today with my fishing bud Dallas. The wind was unrelenting, however the sun was out most of the day and we both brought home a dozen and a half. You were invited my friend. There’s still enough ice for one more foray out to LOTI. Annie and I are headed back up Monday morning. Ice was 7 inches, but riddled with air pockets. A good warm  sunny day will raise havoc with conditions.  Got to clean my booty now. Rest up for tomorrow. Stay safe out there.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1095 on: Feb 25, 2024, 09:20 PM »
Yo Rusty,
Glad to hear from you my friend. Looking forward to seeing you back up here. It was a real short season here on the Pond. I will leave a few perch for you when you get back😁

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1096 on: Mar 04, 2024, 06:06 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Well I guess it’s time to close this little chat center out for the season. Surely far from being anything like a normal season, although I do remember one season we never got out on safe ice at all. Thankfully we (Annie and I) had the opportunity to fish along the St Lawrence River corridor to alleviate some of the pain of the shortened season on the Pond.

Annie and I closed out our season last Monday at LOTI. It was a glorious day at that. Sunshine, light breeze, temps in the fifty’s. My Annie put on a demonstration showing me just how good a teacher I was. She caught the first keeper perch, the largest perch and the majority of the 49 keepers that day.

While tempted to go back up later in the week I opted to turn my energies to prepping  for our open water adventures. First getting the Otter Stealth ready to launch and getting the old Starcraft over to my boat Mechanic Matt to make ready for the season.

“Ice out” is upon us early this year with divided attention to the Pond , Eel Bay and Kring’s Point in my sights. Hope not to skip a beat. Annie and I are going to switch over to Myfishfinder now. Please join us over there and let’s continue the  banter, tall fishing stories and kibitzing. Bye for now.

Boggey

My Annie

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #1097 on: Mar 05, 2024, 09:22 PM »
 New Old Guy/ Boggey , thank you for providing reports on Sandy pond and other lakes in your area of New York. Glad you and Annie had a good finish to this ice fishing season. It was also good to read that you were able to fish with your family and friends once again this season.

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.