Poll

If you had the choice of either a snowmobile or ATV..what would it be

Snowmobile
ATV

Author Topic: Snowmobile or ATV...what would you rather?  (Read 5926 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Snowmobile or ATV...what would you rather?
« on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:35 PM »
I have been banging around the idea for a few years now, and it is time to start looking at some on ice transportation..if you had the choice between an ATV or a Snowmobile what would you chose and why?

Ice fishing purposes only...that is all you can consider...what is the best of these two options in your opinion for ice fishing..

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Snowmobile or ATV...what would you rather?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:57 PM »
ATV - It'll get you on, and around, the ice in more cases than a sled.  Sleds are nice, but wheelers are more versatile.  I've have both and the wheeler sees way more use on the ice for fishing.  It needs to be 4X4 and have chains all the way around.  Trim it up with a good windshield and heated grips too.  Does not not need to be the biggest, badest machine made, either;  A 350, 400 or 500 is more than very adequate.  I'm sure there are places around the ice-fishing community where the amount of snow would dictate a sled, but not in Northern, NY; and I believe you are close to me geographically and weather-wise.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2009, 07:06 PM »
ATV here also.  We don't get enough snow in the areas that I fish to justify a sled. 

-Jeff

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2009, 07:13 PM »
I have been banging around the idea for a few years now, and it is time to start looking at some on ice transportation..if you had the choice between an ATV or a Snowmobile what would you chose and why?

Ice fishing purposes only...that is all you can consider...what is the best of these two options in your opinion for ice fishing..

I'm in an area that gets about 100ins. of snow per year & I seldom get 14 days of down time because of too much snow per year. :o( last year was possibly a bit more)......For me it is a no brainer --- ATV 4X4 ALL THE WAY!!!!.....Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2009, 08:28 PM »
I think you would be better off with an ATV in your area.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:11 AM »
Weather and snow conditions are the big deciding factor. I started last winter with a quad, and found out in a hurry that the older models (mine was an '86) do not tolerate the cold. Anything below -10 required massive amounts of gasline antifreeze and I had to crank the idle way up to keep it running. Starting was a real chore, you had one chance and you had to get it just right, or it flooded out, definitely needed a complete re-jet of the carb. And even with chains, anything more than 8" of loose snow was a real workout for the engine, and kept me from trying the places I really wanted to fish, out of fear of getting stuck. I'd imagine the newer bikes, especially the fuel injected 4x4 ones will perform much better, but the old machines are very warm blooded, and even the manuals don't recommend operation below freezing.

A fan cooled sled was the answer for me. If you don't get much snow, and don't fish in temps much below -15 or so, a quad would be just fine, and it's a lot easier to keep all your gear stashed right on the machine, keeps you a lot more mobile.

Just my personal experience.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline FloatinWoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:21 AM »
I was just given a nice Arctic Cat cougar 550, and i would gladly trade it for a wheeler. I have never owned a sled before, but just in the time i have had it, i have discovered it's a beast to move around, and tougher to transport by far.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2009, 02:38 PM »
ATV - It'll get you on, and around, the ice in more cases than a sled.

I respectfully, t-o-t-a-l-l-y  :P disagree with the above quote, sorry. I voted for a snowmobile because:
1:
4-wheelers are not allowed on snowmobile trails and some of the lakes around here, you need to travel the trails to make it onto the lakes.

2:
There is deep and soft snow just around the 'next' bend, and the ATV would chew that up if it were even able to make it through!, ruining it for the next sorry chump who tries to follow!  :o The snowmobile on the other hand would usually rip right through the mess the wheeler made as long as he saw it up ahead. But the snowmo would not make the mess if it was the first one through that spot.

3:
Once it gets to the point you can use a 4-wheeler, the conditions are usually such that I can just drive on the lake with either of my 4WD's Suzuki SideKick (poor man's Jeep  :-[ ) or my  full sized GMC 1500.

4:
The 4 wheelers chew up the landscape (when frost level is not thick or non-existent) more than snowmobiles on average and get the bad reviews of land/camp owners. More trails are closed each year around here due to ATV's than snowmobiles.

Don't get me wrong, I have both, ATV and snowmobile. You mentioned ice fishing only as a parameter. I would not want to part with either one. They both have their place. YMMV. Lots of times I bring both and let someone else drive whichever I'm not on ATT.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2009, 05:41 PM »
I picked ATV, I know it was requested to comment trickly for ice fishing only, but i got mine for dual purposes hunting and fishing, and to clear my driveway. For many reasons, I can do the same (if not more) work with it, ( bought it as a work machine only) snow hasn't been an issue yet.

You can always put chains on the tires and I have even seen guys stud thier quad tires, and if you only have 4 or less inches of snow, would you run your sled on it?

Sorry Nor Easter but not only quads destroy landscape, the operators do, sleds do just as much damage to. Every spring I have to go out and replace trees around my yards cause the owners of snowsleds don't respect other peoples property

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2009, 06:23 AM »
ATV for all of the above mentioned reasons plus 1 more I'll add---maneauverability.  Snowmos do not have near the turning radius of an atv.  If you get on a crowded lake being able to maneauver is very helpful.  I have seen a person on a snowmo get to his spot early..only to be surrounded by people before mid day..when it was time for him to leave he had a hard time staying away from peoples setups because he just couldnt make sharp turns

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:38 AM »
Quote from: USMarine2001
and if you only have 4 or less inches of snow, would you run your sled on it?

Actually I prefer winters with less snow. But it's been deep for the last few seasons and a quad would have trouble to/from the lakes near me. Although the inconvenience of either one getting stuck is about a draw...

No need to apologize, I underlined on average in my post. That could mean 55%/45% YMMV

As far as  "what would you rather?"  I would "rather" not getting stuck. Stuck sucks! No 2 ways about it. I'm too old for that these days. By the time I'm pulled out, I'm done for the day!

Unless the bite is on!!!!! Then I'm just warming up!  :D

So if I can retract my bid for sled, I actually enjoy the wheeler MUCH more and if the weather is warm enough and the conditions are right, there's no contest! But I think anyone north of the 48th parallel (or 2 feet of snow) would agree. When the going gets tough, break out the sleds!

You gotta consider blazing your own trail, alone, or as the sole responsible party. From pond to pond, with no plowed roads in between. And as I said, 4-wheelers are breaking the law if caught on a snowmobile trail around here. So I'd just as rather fish where I want and not be restricted to easy access lakes and ponds.

Sorry,
/rambling
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline a45gunslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2009, 07:19 PM »
well I pick sled..last season on saginaw bay i pushed my buddies quad several times when it broke through the hard pack and was trapped up to the axles. it wasn't a major task getting it going again but it was still a hassel ...Ironically we were following snowmobile tracks.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2009, 09:44 PM »
Snowmobile.  Some places I fish are only accessable by trail.  ATVs are not allowed on snowmobile trails.  A 3 foot drift will stop an ATV.  A snowmobile blasts right through.   

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:03 AM »
Snowmobile, light fan cooled. Ive seen alot of atv guys stuck in deep snow and I just sail right by. I have a 1972 John deere 500 with an otter sled for all my stuff. Works for me. Also no flat tires with a snowmobile.

Offline wisicefishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2009, 10:10 AM »
For just ice fishing, a sled is a no brainer for me.  It allows you to go out in any conditions, from glare ice which you can have studs and carbides and scratchers in to combat this, to deep snow for what a sled is made for.  I am a believer in fan cooled sleds for ice fishing, for the fact when on glare ice there is no snow for the coolers.  I have a 97 skandic 500 fan cooled that is completely set up for ice fishing. It goes anywhere I need to go without issues.  Another positive of a sled is crossing pressure cracks which I do often. With a four wheeler a tire can easily drop in the crack, with a sled pick up a little speed and glide right over the crack. I also have a four wheeler and in the winter the sled gets much more use.

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:16 PM »
I own a fuel injected 4x4 atv and I'm looking at putting a set of tracks on it. I'd have to think I'd be able to get any where a sled could go and have the ability to pull a small wheel house if you wanted. With out doing the math I'd think you'd be putting more track to the ground then a snowmobile. Just dont think you can beat the year round versatility of an atv when its all said and done.
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:25 PM »
i have a 800 fuel injected can am atv great in the winter no matter how cold i have chains for when needed i also have a ski doo rev that i never seem to need for ice fishing atv would be my first choice can get out most of the time in nny with our snowfall
Just enjoying life

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2009, 04:27 PM »
Yamaha 450 auto 4x4, cabelas back drop basket, dog sled, frabill trekker II and X67c in the bucket......what more could ya ask for......... I will admit that some years a sled would be nice when the snow piles up late season.

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2009, 08:00 PM »
what about four wheelers with the snow mobile/tank treds on them, doesn't that combine the best of both worlds ???
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:12 PM »
A four wheeler outfitted with tracks will go almost anywhere but I wouldn't put tracks on any ATV that I own.  Because it takes a lot more force to drive tracks compared to wheels you can plan on cutting the life of the machine in half.  Tracks put more stress on every part of an ATV from the engine to the differentails to the steering.  It's because of people installing tracks that some ATVs come with power steering.

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
Snow machine...
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2009, 02:26 AM »
That's what most Alaskans call them (or "sno-goes"). As mentioned above by others, many trails are off limits to ATVs. Also, much better to get back into the distant lakes with a sled. And I concur, it should be light and fan cooled, preferably with a decent length track and wide skis for flotation. A nice rack in back is a definite plus.
See you up the trail.

Offline FloatinWoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2009, 06:25 AM »
Why fan cooled? I have heard that's best for the ice fishing, but didn't know why..

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2009, 07:31 AM »
You want fan cooled for a couple of reasons. It is lighter for loading and unloading or if you do get stuck which rarely happens. Also a liquid cooled sled requires snow to cool it and if there is no snow on the ice you could have over heating problems.

Offline tundraman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2010, 05:58 AM »
Tons of snow were i live. Though i own both i use my snowmobile becuase on alot of the inland lakes it gets way to hard to get around on a quad and when your fishing lake superior a snow machine can cross over the top of the cracks that open up lots of times were an atvs tires will literaly fit inside them
I say its a hobby, my wife says its a sickness!

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:44 AM »
I watched a guy with a wheeler get buried in the snow and slush on Saturday. It took 3 snowmobiles and him pushing to get out. Why even bother.

Offline Tricounty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:13 AM »
Can't agree with Groundsluice Pete enough! A nice rack is great to have :clap: :thumbsup:

Good Fishin!
Tony
Looks like Chuck is taking the skinny boat to tuna town. "Pops"

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:16 AM »
ATV all the way.....Two built in racks, 4 wheel drive, manuverablitly...ect.. ...the list goes on and on....

Over new years weekend I had to pull 3 sleds out of the slush on a lake in morthern WI......There was 4" of snow with 7" of slush under that..... My atv went right through it while the sleds samk and we useless until I pulled them out, they couldnt stop without sinking in and getting stuck
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:07 PM »
I like that you can fit an atv in the truck bed and close the tailgate. No need for a trailer and nothing hanging off your tailgate. I've got a little 250 that's small enough I can put it in the bed, close the tailgate, and fit my clam 5600 standing on its side in the space between the atv and the cab. Then it's thin enough that I can fit the ramps and the auger beside it. Remaining gear fits nicely in the back of the extended cab and I'm rolling.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:47 AM »
Five or six years ago I would have said ATV hands down. Back then most of our lakes were clear ice with some finger drifts on them. For about the last five years we have been getting a lot more snow and 4x4 pickups and ATVs have been having real problems getting around on the lakes. There are no plowed roads on the lakes that I know of around here and snowmobiles are the thing to have. The last time I was on the ice, there were pickups getting buried in slush pockets all over the ice. I'm waiting for the snow to get compacted enough for my ATV. I should mention that I don't have chains or studded tires.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.