Author Topic: South Manistique  (Read 4190 times)

Offline trapperman

• Team IceShanty Regular
South Manistique
« on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:32 AM »
Made it out yesterday around 3. We started getting flags before I could get all the tip-ups in the water. We ended up with 3 nice eyes and 2 under size pike. We had a least 10 flags from 3 till dark. It was a great evening of chasing flags

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
Re: South Manistique
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2008, 12:21 PM »
You gotta love tip up fishing when that happens. how big were the walleye, pics? I was out sunday near marquette and had walleye tip ups in all day and only caught one small pike. I'm trying somewhere else this weekend, no friday classes this week so I get an early start.  ;D

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2008, 12:32 PM »
I am heading up in early June to the South lake and was wondering what type of fish I can expect. I use to fish Big Manistique for walleye, perch and smallmouth. Which lake is my best bet for walleye that time of year? Thanks.

Offline FISH21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:12 PM »
The south lake has pretty much the same fish that the big lake has to offer. Walleyes, perch, pike, muskie, bluegills, rock bass, smallmouth and largemouth bass. From what I've experienced in June the South lake is a great lake to fish. I've done really well in June on walleyes, largemouth and panfish. Hope this helps.

Nice job on the 'eyes Trapperman...gotta love when the flags are poppin!

Offline trapperman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:55 PM »
The 2 walleye were just over 20 in. and the other was just over 15. Browning13, I saw that you are M-S. I'm TVCEAST05 but my brother NBMAN posted a report there with pics. One of these times i'll figure this posting pics things out

Offline Robby T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2008, 07:16 PM »
What did u catch the eyes on? I will be there in a few weekends and could use some help.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2008, 09:45 PM »
The 2 walleye were just over 20 in. and the other was just over 15. Browning13, I saw that you are M-S. I'm TVCEAST05 but my brother NBMAN posted a report there with pics. One of these times i'll figure this posting pics things out

I just checked out M-S, nice fish.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:50 PM »
I just checked out M-S, nice fish.

Whats M-S ?

Offline trapperman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:34 AM »
michigan-sportsman.com

Offline lil-skipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2008, 01:33 PM »
Made it out yesterday around 3. We started getting flags before I could get all the tipi's in the water. We ended up with 3 nice eyes and 2 under size pike. We had a least 10 flags from 3 till dark. It was a great evening of chasing flags
  My wife & I are headed up to the cabin the 15Th of Feb. we will be attempting to fish south manistique lake would you mind telling me if I should start at Curtis or start at wolf bay ? thanks & tight-lines.

Offline trapperman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2008, 03:46 PM »
The only place I really fish is wolfe bay. The one time i fished by Curtis was last year and we ended up with a couple walleye. To me there really doesn't seem to be any real hotspot by hearing other reports. The next time out I think we are going to try out in the main lake so i'll let you know if we make it out before the 15.

Offline lil-skipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:29 AM »
The only place I really fish is wolfe bay. The one time i fished by Curtis was last year and we ended up with a couple walleye. To me there really doesn't seem to be any real hotspot by hearing other reports. The next time out I think we are going to try out in the main lake so i'll let you know if we make it out before the 15.
  I thank you for you,re response, I was looking at the map on south manistique lake and noticed on the North western side of the lake there is a small pt. that comes out just before entering the mouth of wolf bay, there seems to be a gathering of shallow water to deep water fairly close to the shoreline. It starts at 5ft. & drops to 10ft. and then to 15 ft, I was thinking this might be the first place that I may try. If you Know where I,m talking about, and you decide to give it a shot please let me know what you do. thank you again for you,re response and tight lines & good luck on you,re trip. 

Offline trapperman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2008, 01:33 PM »
Hopefully i'll be out this weekend if i can stay at my sisters cabin on the lake. I know the place you are talking about, always wanted to try there and the opposite point to the south. I think we might try the big or north lake for some perch this time so i'll let you know.

Offline trapperman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:39 PM »
I ended up going out friday afternoon and set up in 10 ft of water between the 2 points on wolf bay. Got  a 23 in pike before dark and a 17 in walleye around 7 pm. We didn't have anything better to do so we just stayed out all night. The next flag wasn't untill 1Am and nothing was there. Then no flags until 9AM. We ended up going home around noon since nothing was really biting. I really wanted to go to the big lake sat. or at least try a new spot but a couple of friends were out with me and my brother and they're not as serious about their ice fishing as we are. Probably won't be out again until Feb. 16. Anybody doing any good on the big or round lake?

Offline lil-skipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:16 AM »
I ended up going out friday afternoon and set up in 10 ft of water between the 2 points on wolf bay. Got  a 23 in pike before dark and a 17 in walleye around 7 pm. We didn't have anything better to do so we just stayed out all night. The next flag wasn't untill 1Am and nothing was there. Then no flags until 9AM. We ended up going home around noon since nothing was really biting. I really wanted to go to the big lake sat. or at least try a new spot but a couple of friends were out with me and my brother and they're not as serious about their ice fishing as we are. Probably won't be out again until Feb. 16. Anybody doing any good on the big or round lake?
  thanks for the recent information trapperman, Looks I,ll be up in the area about the same time you are, I believe I,ll be on one of the manistique lakes, probably south first, unless the lady at the hilltop bait shop changes my mind? usually she will give out pretty good information.

Offline GFHFG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:29 AM »
does anyone have some new info on this lake?? ice? fish? area? what to use?  THANKS
Thankyou God for hunting and fishing

Offline hunterdan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2008, 09:23 PM »
We started the Portage Anglers Club in Curtis 5 yearsago and between our fishing contests and raffles we have raised enough money to plant over 6000 6 to 12 inch walleye in the Manistique Lakes in the last few years, with the DNR's approval, no less. We have moved to Montana but a few friends have taken over the club for us. This spring they will be having the annual Walleye Jamboree. I dont know if the site has been updated yet, but you can view pictures and get more info there. www.portageanglersclub .org 
We still have our home on the South lake and the point you are talking about is Long Point. Actually, I find the fishing is better just around the point in Shoepac Bay to the south. And farther on in the bay, if you can find Sunken Island, there is much better fishing. It goes from 10 to 15' up to 2' on the island. Its hard to explain. Ask Kathy at JR's Bait Shop when you see her. A wobbler spoon tip with a minnow head works well. Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.