Author Topic: ICE NOISES  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
ICE NOISES
« on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:53 PM »
My buddy and I were out the other day, first time and were pretty nervous about the ice.  We were drilling every ten feet or so as we went out, and stopped when the ice went from 8 inches to a steady 6.  The ice was popping and cracking, and on occasion sounded like a grumbling.  This grumbling sounded like your gut after a t-shirt winning performance at your local beer and hot wing joint... usually a precursor to the inevitable mud-butt.  There were several grumblings followed by a few "BURP-LIKE" water pressure rises through our holes.  Nothing substantial but pressure changes none the less.  My question is...  has anyone experienced this???  Is it growth or degradation... And finally does growing ice make any distinctive noises versus ice losing it's integrity?  We haven't had a day above 10 degrees in about 9 or 10 days.  Relatively new to ice fishing, and would love any advice.  I copied somebody's post about safe ice thicknesses, So I don't need that, but zero info about the noises.  Inquiring mind.....
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ICE NOISES
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Mudbutt. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:58 PM »
yep its makin ice unless its spider crackin under ya.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:00 PM »
The moaning and groaning are good noises.....it's making ice.  I love the mudbutt comment.
The moaning and groaning sure do make you reevaluate though.  We were counting our four fish versus three hours, versus six or seven grumbles and packed it up.  The mud-butt is not to be confused with the green apple splatters, that's a Little bit different....  same results.  Thanks for the info.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:02 PM »
yep its makin ice unless its spider crackin under ya.
My concern was the cracking/popping that wasn't a result of us walking.  It was all day long. (4 Hours)

Offline Mississippi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Mud Butt!
Anybody Seen Any Catfish??

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:03 PM »
Even when there is 3 feet of ice, the noise is still a little unnerving. :sick:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:09 PM »
Even when there is 3 feet of ice, the noise is still a little unnerving. :sick:
specially when your in a shanty and a big ol stress crack rips a half inch gap across the lake underneath ya.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:09 PM »
When the lake is making ice you will hear long and loud pops and cracking sounds.  I have had water blow up and right out of the hole. :D

When you are on thin ice you will hear short very localized cracks...usually under you.  At that point you usually fall in or sprawl out on the ice and crawl outa there. :o
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:11 PM »
specially when your in a shanty and a big ol stress crack rips a half inch gap across the lake underneath ya.
Gotta love the ones that rock the shanty!!!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:11 PM »
I was pretty sure that we were on safe ice, but the noises!!!...  The first grumble with the burping water about made my buddy go through the hard side of the shack.  He wasn't going to play any more reindeer games!!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:15 PM »
When the lake is making ice you will hear long and loud pops and cracking sounds.  I have had water blow up and right out of the hole. :D

When you are on thin ice you will hear short very localized cracks...usually under you.  At that point you usually fall in or sprawl out on the ice and crawl outa there. :o
I assumed we weren't witnessing anything new when the water came up, reassuring to hear that it's a pretty common thing.

Offline FishinIsLife

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:19 PM »
noises are perfectly normal it is a little scary at first especially if know one in the group has been out a lot. 6 inches you are perfectly safe on foot. clear black ice is the strongest white ice has air in it so it is weaker. until you get some ice fishing years under your belt stick to conservative means of travel, 10 - 12 inches bring a wheeler or sled on, 15" you can start trying cars and small trucks, 20" bring out the truck and the tow behind camper. The more you are on a particular lake the more you learn. I recently moved from NY to VT and things are a little different, normally I wouldn't drive (F150) on anything less than 14" but my first year ice fishing Lake Champlain guys were driving equiv. size pickups on 8". Also you make hear a steady crack sound far of in the distance coming closer very quickly and have it pass right under you, this is very frightening but normal once the ice reaches about 6" thick or more.

Offline Feeling Crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:20 PM »
when the cracks and burps are followed closely by a splash the ice wasn't safe enough. I've been on big lakes where you hear the crack coming from a mile away. It's fun having newbies out with you when that happens, I start acting all scared and it freaks em out (till I start laughing) :roflmao:
The best thing about ice fishing is that when you get on a good bite you don't have to worry about your beer getting warm!

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:23 PM »
Mudbutt.  ;D  :woot:

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:49 PM »
I remember my first time hearing this stuff i thought i was gonna die. But i got used to it, and I like to hear it now, means the ice is getting thicher not thinner :) Weirdest thing last year though: on 6 inches of ice and I could hear a steady rushing sound from below the ice, sounded like running water, it got louder and louder till after a couple seconds It was defening. The entire ice shook below me, and I saw a huge pressure crack jolt up from the surface about a hudnred feet away. Talk about scary!
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:52 PM »
Yaaa!!!! Sure!!!!! give em all a case of the muddbutt. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle: :whistle: or maby it`s a case of the cherry red turnovers. ;D
If yougot the "cherry red turnovers" the least of your worries is the safety of the ice... you need to see a doctor!!!!

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:56 PM »
makes a guy crap his pants wiht those shanty rockers! espicialy when your sleepin...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:00 PM »
i love it when we have newbies out with us, or nervous nellies! :laugh:

mud butt=bud mud :P
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:13 PM »
One trip I was in a rented hut on Lake Simcoe fishing for Lakers and Whitefish 12 miles out. The ice was somewhere around 24" thick and was grumbling and cracking all day long. After lunch there was a teriffic CRACK and one corner of the hut jumped about a foot high!!!!!   :woot:
We ran out of the hut and looked around to find nothing, nada, squat.  ???    ???     ???
Other angers came pouring out of their huts just as alarmed and confused as us.
We went back in the hut and continued fishing as there was still a few hours to go before our scheduled pick up. When the hut operator came to get us he told us that a pressure ridge had formed near shore and that the Bombadier would drop us off and that we would have to walk the last 30 yards or so to shore. Well we get to the pressure ridge and HOLY SMOKES!!!!! It's 15 or 20 feet high and goes from one side of the bay to the other!!!!!!
It is still the wildest thing I have seen or had happen while on the ice.  :icefish:

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:45 PM »
wow a picutre would be worth a thousand words!!

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:22 AM »
you never hear the noise that gets you, just a free fall into the water below. 6" is plenty

Offline carsell2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:55 AM »
many years ago A friend and I were sking accross a local lake for a scout badge.  We heard sloshing water sounds and started freaking out.  After some crying and praying
we took baby steps and slowly got off the lake and went to a local house to call my grandfather to pick us up.  When he got there to get us he asked what we were hearing and
my friend jumped up and down to show him what we did on the ice.     The canteen in his backpack started sloshing and making water sounds.  Sure felt stupid then.
have what you want, but want what you have

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:53 AM »
One time on early ice I took a newbie with me and he brought his one man flip over style shanty. We set up close to each other so we could talk. All of a sudden a huge crack came right through the new holes we drilled, like pouring warm pop on a bunch of ice cubes. It sounded like a 12 gauge went off. I started thinking what my friend was doing all by his self in the one man so I hollered over to him DON'T STAND UP!!. With plenty of concern in his voice he said, I am standing up!  I never laughed so hard in my whole life.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2008, 11:25 AM »
you never hear the noise that gets you, just a free fall into the water below. 6" is plenty
Well...  at least your not sitting there waiting to "hear" the big one, it will just drop you.  Takes away some of the worry, I guess if your hearing noises and not dropping below sea level your in pretty good shape???!!!  Thanks

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:00 PM »
that pretty much says it all. ice gets thicker, it expands. it's gotta go somewhere. so it's gonna crack. it has a distinctive ring to it. you can hear it a long way.i live a 1/2 mile from my favorite lake. when i go outside at night and hear that ringing crack, i smile.
 newbies are fun though. took my son in law on his first trip. his lake. foot of ice. frozen holes everywhere. sittin in the shack, smilin', all's right with the world. the ice talks and son in law gets mudbut :clap: p :tipup: priceless! merry Christmas fellow icefishermen.

Offline Mississippi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2008, 12:19 AM »
Mudbutt - LOL, I said it again
Anybody Seen Any Catfish??

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2008, 09:04 AM »
Noisy ice is good ice. Mudbutt is ... HILARIOUS !!!   
   :pinch: :flex: :sick: :blink: :clap: :thumbsup: :roflmao:

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 26, 2008, 02:01 PM »
ha ha ha gave mud butt to one of my friends on the first hole of the season with my hand auger {sounds sick} :roflmao: :roflmao: popped the first hole into the pond and a loud crack went right through the hole and the ice heaved he tried to run but in the middle of the pond he had nowhere to run  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline tware

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2008, 03:08 AM »
That sound is a little unnerving at first, but it is all good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.