Author Topic: Tricks of the Trade  (Read 3384 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Tricks of the Trade
« on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:12 AM »
I saw this little trick for the first time last year but had yet to use it untill this week...while on Simcoe last year I saw a guy set-up tip-downs all aorund him (more then legally allowed, I think) but then he drilled a hole in the middle of this collection and grabbed a rod with a huge spoon (hookless) and sat there pounding the spoon untill he got a hit on one of his tip downs......

This year while perch & walleye fishing I noticed that then jigging the larger spoon for the walleye the perch bite increased....so I then started to rig an extra rod with a large spoon only to use when the bite slowed down...it increased the bite everytime.

Yesterday I as out for Pike and Gills...I dropped my tip-up for pike them drilled my holes for the gills...dropped the camera and did not see a thing.......rigged the second rod with a large silver spoon and started pounding it, after a few minutes there were gills on screen....

Any one else this method..so far so good.

grumpymoe

Re: Tricks of the Trade
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:45 AM »
Used that for early ice trout.....sight fishing and nothing around....out came the spoon, and after about 10 minutes, we had some trout keeping us busy.....Grump  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:01 AM »
I use a big jig for sight fishing to draw fish in, and then drop my normal jig down and start hooking them
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:05 AM »
I use a blade above my jig about 3 feet it seems to do the trick

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:50 PM »
IT does work. While back I dug out an old set of Dave Davis trolling spoons, put a heavy sinker on the end. few bottom bouncing jigs, pull it up and start fishing. Weird thing is it seems to draw in bass more than anything else.

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2007, 06:44 PM »
I seen a bunch of drunk hillybillys 1 day have about 20 lines in the water they where using small tree branches to huge fishing rods. They only got 1 pike all day it did'nt look legal but i was going to approach them about it. About 3 of them and your only aloud 2 per person where i live.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:21 PM »
I do the same thing when the bite is slow
Pull a tip-up and bang a large pimple on the bottom
Seems to draw the fish in
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2007, 06:15 AM »
Did it the past two times out. Drop a large sonar on one rod with a hook split and minnow next to it. Jig the sonar till fish show on flasher drop the sonar to bottom and the perch slam the minnow. If they don't hit the minnow try lifting the sonar up two feet and see if that doesn't get bit by something bigger.

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2007, 10:10 AM »
I really have NO Idea what you guys are talking about...You mean you put a Spoon about 3 feet up from your teardrop? And Jig w/ that? Clueless..

Stan..

Please someone spell it out for me..lol..If you can..

Thanks again.

flockshot

« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2007, 10:16 AM »
cagetrapper..lol. hes saying that they are using the jig not to catch fish..but to draw attention and bring fish in. it works sometimes when nothing else seems to..just get a big gawdy bright spoon..and jig it like crazy...fish will usually come into the flash... then start fishing like normal. it helps sometimes.

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2007, 04:03 PM »
I seen a bunch of drunk hillybillys 1 day have about 20 lines in the water they where using small tree branches to huge fishing rods. They only got 1 pike all day it did'nt look legal but i was going to approach them about it. About 3 of them and your only aloud 2 per person where i live.
Don't be too tough on that method. I knew a couple old dirtskudders back in the 70's, fished walleye on champlain. Used fine willow branches about 5ft long, old wood jig sticks and cotton line. Stuck the butt of the willow in a mound of snow about 45 degrees, sent the bait to the bottom, looped the line around the tip. When the willow tip reached the hole they set the hook. I was one mighty impressed snot nose kid! I'm here to tellya those old timers could catch walleye.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2007, 04:21 PM »
Used that for early ice trout.....sight fishing and nothing around....out came the spoon, and after about 10 minutes, we had some trout keeping us busy.....Grump  :tipup: :tipup:
Going to try that in April

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2007, 04:53 PM »
 At one of the lakes where my friend Ray and I fish we often see Amish men ice fishing.
 One day we watched one of the men in a group take a rope that had a bunch of big nuts, bolts and other clutter attached to it and lower it down a hole and jig it rather violently on the bottom.
 Soon the rest of the men would start to catch fish and when the bite slowed down they would go thru the same process all over again.We thought that this was a rather amusing concept and had a couple of good laughs over it.
 Not long after that I ran across an article in a fishing mag about a guy that "called fish" by using a bunch of fishing spoons and big spinners attached in tandem on a fishing line with a big sinker at the bottom.He would use this in the same way that the Amish were using their rig and he claimed that it worked.
 Being inclined to make things like this for my own use,I fashioned a similar one and we took it out the next time that we went fishing and guess what ? It worked.
 I'm not insinuating that we limited out or anything like that but it did seem to turn the fish on when the bite slowed.
 It also gave my friend Ray a reason to pester me to get out my "Amish fish caller" when nothing was happening.
 After reading this I think that I'll go sort thru the "stuff" stashed away in the garage and give it a try again.

Winchester 88

Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2007, 06:30 PM »
Ok, Im going to give this a try tomorrow.  I took the treble off my huskie DD.  I'll see what happens.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Can't do that here- only allowed 2 lines. Should be that way everywhere, IMO

Offline artycat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2007, 01:54 PM »
I know some places you can't use lights, but I bought one of those underwater halogen lights, and it really works. Most people you talk to say perch never bite after dark, but whenever I've used this light I've had perch biting long after dark. One night it got dark about 6 and they were still biting when we left at 8:30!!!

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2007, 02:53 PM »
Works sometimes if the fish aren't skittish, if they're heavily fished, the big flasher will only scare them away. Works better for brookies than it does for bows....I don't normally use a big spoon, but a big white curly tail grub, cause they'll hit that too.

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Can't do that here- only allowed 2 lines. Should be that way everywhere, IMO
Sure you can.  Just have one rod rigged with the spoon and another with your regular set up.  Drop the spoon, do a little gig to bring them in and pull it out of the water and put in your other rod.  That's how I did it this morning and had a great time.  It may have been the weather change, the spoon, or all the above, but it was the best day on the ice I've had.  In Michigan you can only have 2 lines in the water too.  I ran a tip up and did the gig, pulled it and dropped in my regular set up.
 :tipup:
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2007, 03:07 PM »
Ya we're allowed one line here. I've had a tough time on a couple occasions explaing four rigged rods and 10 holes to the local Co's lol, but as long as you don't have more than the limit down the hole you're technically fine.

-Thoreau

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2007, 05:44 PM »
i have used a wieghted rattle trap to call fish in. also in shallow water you can  use a long pole to stir up the bottom. the clowd of silt and invertebrates turns fish on!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline cagetrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta Love the Vexilar FL 18:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2007, 07:05 PM »
OK...

Take a Flasher Spoon down one hole, and drill another hole right next to it and use a Tear Drop...

Start throbbing the spoon, when fish are around it, start with the Tear Drop and try and catchem? I'd give it a Try, but the fish are Slammin the Tear drop now..

You Michiganders you had better start fishing BIG PAYNE LAKE...off the Access, and out until you get to 30 feet...Start searching for them, you'll findem..

Stan

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:02 PM »
At one of the lakes where my friend Ray and I fish we often see Amish men ice fishing.
 One day we watched one of the men in a group take a rope that had a bunch of big nuts, bolts and other clutter attached to it and lower it down a hole and jig it rather violently on the bottom.
 Soon the rest of the men would start to catch fish and when the bite slowed down they would go thru the same process all over again.We thought that this was a rather amusing concept and had a couple of good laughs over it.
 Not long after that I ran across an article in a fishing mag about a guy that "called fish" by using a bunch of fishing spoons and big spinners attached in tandem on a fishing line with a big sinker at the bottom.He would use this in the same way that the Amish were using their rig and he claimed that it worked.
 Being inclined to make things like this for my own use,I fashioned a similar one and we took it out the next time that we went fishing and guess what ? It worked.
 I'm not insinuating that we limited out or anything like that but it did seem to turn the fish on when the bite slowed.
 It also gave my friend Ray a reason to pester me to get out my "Amish fish caller" when nothing was happening.
 After reading this I think that I'll go sort thru the "stuff" stashed away in the garage and give it a try again.

Winchester 88

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:05 PM »
OOPSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Forgot to type a message
u guys need to be in pa we're allowed 3 tipups and 2 rods or a combination of 5 not to exceded 2 rods
Hey winchester where3 did u try that at

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2007, 02:29 PM »
u guys need to be in pa we're allowed 3 tipups and 2 rods or a combination of 5 not to exceded 2 rods

Yeah but we have bigger fish :P

-Thoreau

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2007, 05:00 PM »
Didn't know how restrictive most states are on line numbers. Here in Vermont for ice fishing most lakes are eight lines, lake Champlain is fifteen. No more than Two hooks per. All under "immediate controll". Sounds good but more often than not that many is more hassle than its worth.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2007, 05:02 PM »
Two would be optimal in my mind, that way I could set my tip-down and jig at the same time.

-Thoreau

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2007, 05:30 PM »
I still agree with that- 2 the limit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.