Author Topic: Rod length  (Read 1340 times)

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rod length
« on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:59 AM »
Would a 36" noodle rod be alittle too long in a flip over?Not sure if the average one man flip over would leave enough room to fish comfortably depending on hole placement.Seems some like the longer rods for hole hopping.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rod length
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:26 AM »
Depends on the flipover but for your average everyday flipover, it may be a little cramped. Pistol gripping your rod will give a few extra inches to work with though. Most major manufacturers have dimensions listed on their websites. I’d go to them and see what they say then measure it out on the floor and see what it looks/feels like.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:38 AM »
36" to me is a hole hopping rod.great when jigging standing up.longest ive done in a flipover is 30" and that was too long.my rod tip kept hitting the door on the hookset.24" is a good length for a flipover.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:54 AM »
Agree with the good dr on this one.  I need to get on the stick and build up my new blanks I have so I have some shorter rods for my flip over.....my 28 and 30 inches are a bit long.....I was 'simulating' a shorter rod last weekend and that was def the ticket....so 24 would be perfect.....

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:58 AM »
36" is way too long for most flip overs.   you watch these kids on the youtube videos trying to fish with hole hopping rods and its pretty hilarious...they look ridiculous. 

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:17 AM »
Thanks...Confirmed what I kind of was thinking..

Offline Jomat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Fish a 32” rod in my clam flipover.  Have hit the roof a couple times on hookset....learned to fish a little further away and jig a little closer to the hole.  I would not go longer than 32” in a flipover and that may very well be too long for a noodle rod where you need to come up further for a good hookset.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:22 AM »
i have found in my clam 1 man that 28 is the limit. 

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:35 PM »
I have a Otter XT Cabin, wouldnt want a rod longer than 32", unless I was fishing alone and at an angle in the flipover

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:49 PM »
I can do 32" in shappell fx200 but that's the max. I cant do over 24" in my frabill recon. Any length in my hub.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.