Author Topic: Does Slush make Ice Unsafe?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
Does Slush make Ice Unsafe?
« on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:37 PM »
We've been getting a snow/freezing rain mix in PA this year. I wonder if this adds much weight to the ice make it unsafe?
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Does Slush make Ice Unsafe?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:41 PM »
We have been also here in Northern Utah.

So far I haven't noticed any issues but I'm sure it does weigh on the ice.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:02 AM »
be careful with slush. the water is coming from somewhere and it could be a crack in the ice. the slush does add weight to the ice too. there is one of the guides up in northern Minnesota that shut down all the rest of his guide trips for this ice season do to slush and excessive deep snow. he is a die hard and when he shuts down his operation you know things are not good. best advice would be if you don't feel safe then stay off the ice. trust your gut feeling and use your best judgement.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline esoxnepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2019, 01:52 AM »
Keep in mind that week of Feb 4th and all the warm weather we had.  It gave the ice a head start on the candling process.  All the slush is giving water to drain through those pours and continue the candling process.

With the colder temperatures we've had the last two weeks, things are holding up pretty well.  However, as close as Quite Valley had the Clydesdales go through on a small shallow pond, and you could see in the video how deteriorated the ice was having been impacted by the runoff and sun this winter.   

Sunday's storm will show us how much hardwater season is left in the area. 

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:20 AM »
It just makes it suck! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline GRT_Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:00 AM »
Depends on your definition of unsafe too.  We were on my lake and an adjacent lake in the first week of Feb.  On Sunday there was good ice and no slush. It snowed about a foot over the next 2 days.  On Wednesday this is the result of trying to cross my lake. The combination of spring holes in the lakes and the weight of the snow brought the water and slush up quickly. There was almost a foot of water on the ice under the snow.  Four of us were able to get the Cat out and onto hard ground.  The lake we first crossed was worse.  Hard ice on Sunday and more than a foot of water under the snow on Wednesday. One of my friends broke through in the area of a spring hole and we were able to put a shovel through the hole and also through the hole in the ice below.  We had 3 long track machines stuck there. Needless to say for guys in their late fifties to mid sixties, that's unsafe in a lot of ways.  For what it's worth this area has had zero days above freezing for more than 6 weeks and no rain.  Most of the spring holes were not visible until a sled went over them or drove close to them.   I hate slush!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:03 AM »
All good advice, regardless of where you live and fish.

Specifically in regards to the initial question, rain and snow together WILL add weight on top of the ice.
If the ice was thick enough before the rain/snow fell, it should be fine...messy but fine.
It is always smart to check more frequently under these conditions to see if there are any drain holes or spring holes under the slop.
Both of these will erode the ice without giving clear indication on the weakness until added weight is applied (you, a sled, an ATV...)

If the water cannot drain off it will aid in melting because it will absorb heat from the surrounding air and radiant sunlight.

Hopefully the conditions improved after the rain/snow fell, allowing for more "safe" fishing trips...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:27 PM »
It just makes it suck! ;)

Yep.  Still better than sitting on the couch.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:49 PM »
be careful with slush. the water is coming from somewhere and it could be a crack in the ice. the slush does add weight to the ice too. there is one of the guides up in northern Minnesota that shut down all the rest of his guide trips for this ice season do to slush and excessive deep snow. he is a die hard and when he shuts down his operation you know things are not good. best advice would be if you don't feel safe then stay off the ice. trust your gut feeling and use your best judgement.
.        Prolly mainly with deep snow and slush under, can’t get out there, or do so without getting stuck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.