Author Topic: Clam kenai stealth thermal?????how do you like it???  (Read 3079 times)

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam kenai stealth thermal?????how do you like it???
« on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:56 PM »
So I have a shappell 1.5 dx flipover, and i have really liked it alot!,but after 2 shoulder surgeries , and a broken shoulder in between that, I need to downsize.I was looking at the Shappell 100 fx, but not a fan of the framework(too narrow) a........the clam kenai thermal stealth has caught my attention.....anybody using one??? And how do you like it?????....is the sled able to carry all your necessities???

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Clam kenai stealth thermal?????how do you like it???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:31 PM »
I’ve been a clam fan for many years. I currently have a Jason Mitchell Thermal 2 person flip over. It fishes really well and has tons of room. It’s a little heavy loaded with gear to pull alone for solo trips. This season I was looking for a new one man flip over. I looked at both houses and read reviews extensively. I almost pulled the trigger on the Clam Kenai but decided to go with the Eskimo Wide 1 Inferno instead. I like both houses almost equally but a couple features of the Eskimo sold me. When opened all the way (front spreader bar) it has plenty of room to fish. It comes with a very comfortable seat (but extremely heavy) that I actually swapped out (lost 10lbs right there) with a LL Bean folding canoe seat (weighs hardly nothing), under the seat I wrapped the seat frame bars with tubular foam from swimming “floaties” for added padding. I also slipped one over the front door bar where you always hit your head going in and out. (Again weighs nothing) I added a permanent heater mount for the buddy heater in the sled so it stays put and that’s where I use it. The sled has plenty of room for gear, Vexilar and with the mods I made weighs much less than the Kenai. I only wish it came with a travel cover. Either fish houses are built really well and have great sleds under them. Good luck!

Offline Vine Valley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:09 PM »
I own 8 different tent sled - shelters. The heavy ones I only use for short distances on ice with very little snow cover. I most important thing I look at before purchasing a tent - sled is the WEIGHT of the unit. I always want the lightest unit as possible. The thick fabric on any thermal unit adds WEIGHT. Unless you're ice fishing in the arctic circle do you really need thermal units. I find Clams & Frabills too heavy & too cumbersome. My favorite tent sleds are Shapell. I own plenty of ice fishing gear but I try to only take the bare essentials when having to travel long distances through heavy snow. I also wear a Calm Harness. This makes pulling you unit much easier. I also use snowshoe trekking poles. By using a harness I am able to use trekking poles. using the trekking poles feels like you're walking with an extra set of legs. I always use my trekking poles. I never fall and I never have a sore back, sore shoulders or sore arms.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:19 PM »
I bought the Clam Kenai pro and it is heavy, I have added some ski's for snow and that has helped

good suggestions from others - weight is key

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Yep, it weighs 10 lbs less than my 1.5dx,

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:15 PM »
The Kenai Stealth is over all a great house but the one fault I will say it has is that you can't fit a five gallon bucket in the sled with how the seat brackets are mounted to the sled. other then that it is a really good house. I ran one of these for the last two seasons and have been happy with it. I did end up selling mine to my insurance agent as he was begging me to sell it to him so I did. I think I will be going back to a Legend Thermal next season for my hand pulled one man house.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:25 PM »
Clam ever fix the sled design on them?i know the older style sleds plowed snow because the front of the sled was a weird angle.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:35 PM »
only change that was made on the sled was that they removed the built in tray/cup holder that came on the first year houses. the angle didn't change. I never had problems with my two Kenai's plowing snow. had a first year model when they first came out and just sold off my stealth kenai that I ran last year and early this year.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:53 PM »
All houses plow snow to some degree, that is why the Smitty is so nice.  My clam voyager thermal pulls easier than my friends Eskimo and otter of similar size, all of which had hyfax installed.   I would love to get a one man style but my dog wouldn't fit in it so it's not in the plan for a few more years.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2019, 05:12 AM »
The Kenai Stealth is over all a great house  but the one fault I will say it has is that you can't fit a five gallon bucket in the sled with how the seat brackets are mounted to the sled.

You kinda can on the wider side with the stock seat?  The bottom of the sled isn't particularly flat along the sides, so buckets will tend to be leaning outwards, but you can get 2 buckets in the sled.  Taller buckets will likely impinge the frame and need to be adjusted while flipping the trap.

I put an old clam jump seat in place of the wider stock seat, that allows more buckets! ;D

I couldn't pass up trying the Kenai stealth, the canvas is pretty great.  My other 1 mans have been older T900 otter cottages.  The Kenai is a roomier fishing space height and depth wise compared to the wider cottages.  The clam sled angle is steeper and plows more than the otter.  I generally don't put more than 1 bucket in the kenai sled to keep it as light as possible. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2019, 05:43 AM »
I have a stealth and a pails fits between the seat railes  , I also moved my seat rails over 2”s so it is centered and cat litter bucket now fit both sides ,i also replaced the steal seat rails with heavy aluminum and flattened 1 end so my seat tips slightly back , I like the height of the seat, , , biggest con I see is the bottom of the tub could be thicker at the seating end , I put an otter runner kit on mine , as the clam runners are not as good quality ,both thermals come with the tray cup holder nice feature as the light is  in the stealth but put something around the wire to prevent from shorting out

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:36 PM »
I really like my Kenai Thermal Stealth, the shell material is super nice. And like F&R posted above the square cat litter buckets fit in nice. The hammock under the seat is very long, so I just chuck my jigging rods in there and they stay up out of the way protected from shifting gear down in the tub. The other nice thing I won't go without is non expandable poles, just flip and go. Really fast setup/teardown, big feature for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.