Author Topic: Fishing With Line Through Long Rods...do you long rod?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline icerookie5212

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have had a lot of conversation lately with a lot of folks that fish with long rods, especially line through long rods. Just wondering if anyone else out there uses them and if so, what do you use? It is definitely a very unique technique, and I have seen it produce a lot of fish on days when no one else is catching anything. Your thoughts?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Fishing With Line Through Long Rods...do you long rod?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:05 PM »
I have done that, a lot.     But never with "through the rod". Just long 6' to 7' rods.
 We, here, can use 5 lines, so, if the weather is nicer than wicked, I'm out in the open air over water no deeper than the rod length, which are spread in an array.
 One to the left, one to the right, one straight ahead and the last two, wherever is easy to monitor.
 The biggest advantage is to have not just five holes, but several more near each of the five.
 When a small school of perch come by for a bite, get another rod into one of those close-by holes. NOW! Quickly !   Like it already happened !
 Get them on the ice and lay that rod down and get the next one .
Sometimes the only action for the long day happens in less than a minute.
Six or twelve or twenty make a nice dinner.     ;)2

Offline Watertooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:29 PM »
I don't have  a shanty or hub or anything like that so I don't absolutely need a short rod while out on the ice. Decided to try a Jiggler rod (Frabill) one year and had a lot of fun. Added a Pulsator rod soon after. Both of these run line down inside the rod. Some say you can feel the fish fart on the lure and I almost believe it. Very sensitive. It's also easy on the back since I don't mind standing up while fishing. Standing keeps me a bit warmer.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:36 PM »
I use a 5' Ugly Stick when I jig for lakers.  Takes the fight out of them quickly if you want to release them. 
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:47 PM »
Yea, some of them are very sensitive. I heard there was a company at the St. Paul show that had a line through long rod that was like no other. Had the ability to use a fly reel and the line still went through the rod. From what I hear it was the talk by many at the show. Any of you know what I'm talking about? I would think something like that would be gar superior to any long rod in the market, especially if you aren't stuck with a permanently mounted reel.  I think this rod will be displayed at ICAST this july, from what i was told.

CNY custom rods, mines on it's way....

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:51 PM »
I long rod with a frabil jiggler. A gentleman on the I last year let me handle his pulsator for awhile and it was far superior to the jiggler. The new telescoping jiggler looks pretty nice though.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:53 PM »
I long rod with a frabil jiggler. A gentleman on the I last year let me handle his pulsator for awhile and it was far superior to the jiggler. The new telescoping jiggler looks pretty nice though.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline icerookie5212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2013, 10:14 PM »
The pulsator rod looks ok, but I don't like the cheap reels used on them. I was able to find a picture of a long rod that gives you the ability to use a fly reel or a micro bait casting reel. These things look amazing! Esox_magnum knows what I'm talking about. These things are pretty cool, I'll have to get one and try it.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2013, 10:52 PM »
Those are the ones Idaho, thanks for the link

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:07 PM »
That was a challenge to find, Google doesn't know yet, ha.  That is the absolute only thing I have never found on the "Know-it-all" web search.

Glad I could be useful for a change.   :roflmao:

A nice advantage is no iced eyelets.    ;)2

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:11 PM »
anybody know the price for the rods? Searched their site and couldn't find the info.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:18 PM »
I think $58?? Cant remember for sure, sorry was wrong on price this is the correct price I was told....

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2013, 11:25 PM »
not bad, going to have to get ahold of them this week.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:12 AM »
I'm excited to get mine and try it out, I can think of several spots this maybe just the cat meow at..... Now to decide what reel to match it up with....

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2013, 08:24 PM »
CNY custom rods is run by a young fellow still in college, after a hitch in the army.  I've met him a couple times.  Two years ago he ran a small bait shop on Honeoye Lake (NY), next to Trident Marine.  He was advertising custom built rods even then, but I believe made to order.  He is a member of ICE SHANTY,  but I can't remember his handle.  Perhaps you could find him if you did a search on CNY Bait and Tackle?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2013, 08:31 PM »
I used a Line Through Bland rod years ago on open water and was not overly impressed... Kinda cool, but, so...  I can't help but wonder about icing in side the blank on a cold day? Are they only good for warmer days?

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2013, 08:36 PM »
I used a Line Through Bland rod years ago on open water and was not overly impressed... Kinda cool, but, so...  I can't help but wonder about icing in side the blank on a cold day? Are they only good for warmer days?

from there site ...

"The line runs through the center of the rod, wont the line freeze?" That is the most asked question we get from folks, when talking about our new rod design. For those of you who have never heard of the concept, a long rod is designed to be used in 10' of water or less. Using a rod up to 66'', it gives you the ability to fish shallow water and not have to reel, with the ability to life your line right up out of the water, take the fish off,and drop it back down to the same depth.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Like a cane pole...

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:17 PM »
I will be ordering a cny custom right after holidays looks like a great set up
Just enjoying life

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2013, 11:06 AM »
Talked to him yesterday he was building my rod at the time, should be a sweet addition to my arsenal and someting a bit different than the crowds have so hoping for the edge for some situations....

Offline icerookie5212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2013, 04:24 PM »
They definitely give you the edge in some situations. Several teams fishing the NAIFC this past weekend were using them  and I think the 1st place team did as well.

Offline icerookie5212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:49 AM »
Using long rods is something that isn't that popular in the north eastern US. People look at me like I'm crazy when I fish with one lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.