Author Topic: Hey all  (Read 3382 times)

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey all
« on: Dec 17, 2009, 06:21 PM »
New to IceShanty, not to ice fishing. Friend of mine told me about the place, and I'll bet he still hasn't signed up. LOL.

Lived in MN all my life. Love to fish the Chisago/Lindstrom area, but venture to many other parts of the state too. I use a one man clam type shack, Vexilar FL-8, noodle rods, Mora Strikmaster hand auger and let's see if anyone has ever seen a power auger like this.

Offline wilenard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hey all
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2009, 06:52 PM »
Now that auger is vintage for sure!
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary"

"No God, no love; Know God, know love!"

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2009, 06:53 PM »
Is that thing home made.

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2009, 07:28 PM »
Is that thing home made.

Nope. Don't know the year, but it runs great and drills holes. I did get ahold of the company that made the motor. No parts are available. So, I do treat it nicely and am watching for a newer one. Until then I'll keep using it.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:52 PM »
That auger I believe is the original strike master. Yours is the only other one I've seen! Mine has Strike Master on the recoil.

The Engine was originally made by Ohlsson & Rice (O&R MOTOR CO) (Your muffler should have O & R stamped in it). They started manufacturing model airplane, car, and boat engines and made up to 2hp engines.

Some of their equipment included Orline chainsaws, Tiny Tiger generators, Power drills, and so on. They sold out and first  where called TAS Motors, Later Advanced Engines Inc (this is the model I have). As near as I can found out they were finally bought out and became TANAKA.

The motors are collectable but very hard to find parts for. The more unique the power equipment they are attached too the more they are worth. They show up on ebay and Yahoo has a chat board with pictures and manuals for them.

As for Strikemaster only one of their employees knows of them, but they have no information, and no parts!

The one I own  has two handles like bicycle handle bars and uses a mora auger  I'm using my friends 8in chipper blade (which is to big for it) because the mora's shaft is bent. I want to get a 7in lazer bit for it which should be at it's hp limit 

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:06 PM »
only other place that i've seen one of those is on icefishingtoday.com
other than that, it's old!

Offline jmh58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:10 PM »
Hi and Welcome!! ;D John
A great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!  Lookee there....I got a bite!!

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:15 PM »
cool love to see old stuff for fishing
Just enjoying life

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:06 AM »
pretty sweet good desighn impossible to hit motor on ground and looks cool too
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:38 AM »
That auger I believe is the original strike master. Yours is the only other one I've seen! Mine has Strike Master on the recoil.

The Engine was originally made by Ohlsson & Rice (O&R MOTOR CO) (Your muffler should have O & R stamped in it). They started manufacturing model airplane, car, and boat engines and made up to 2hp engines.

Some of their equipment included Orline chainsaws, Tiny Tiger generators, Power drills, and so on. They sold out and first  where called TAS Motors, Later Advanced Engines Inc (this is the model I have). As near as I can found out they were finally bought out and became TANAKA.

The motors are collectable but very hard to find parts for. The more unique the power equipment they are attached too the more they are worth. They show up on ebay and Yahoo has a chat board with pictures and manuals for them.

As for Strikemaster only one of their employees knows of them, but they have no information, and no parts!

The one I own  has two handles like bicycle handle bars and uses a mora auger  I'm using my friends 8in chipper blade (which is to big for it) because the mora's shaft is bent. I want to get a 7in lazer bit for it which should be at it's hp limit 

Wow. Never met anyone who's seen one, let alone own one. Yep, Strikemaster and the motor is a Tanaka. The auger and blades are the same as my hand auger. I spoke to a lady at Tanaka and she had to put me on hold get a book from another room. Nothing was on computer. Lol.

My great uncle bought it new. Saw it in use many times while growing up. He offered to sell it to me before he got sick and passed away. Figured I'd never see it again. Then his widow called me. I couldn't drive fast enough. Payed 50.00 for it. 

I'll leave the blades alone. Since the two are interchangeable, I keep an extra set on hand. There's a place nearby that sells resharpened blades for 10.00. Just swap a set with him. Might not be the fastest, but it beats drilling by hand.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:47 AM »

Wow. Never met anyone who's seen one, let alone own one.

thats whats great about this site... theres usually someone on here who can help you and/or know what you got... welcome to the shanty Ray.

Nate
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline timbobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2009, 09:19 AM »
Welcome Ray. Good fishing.

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:14 AM »
I find it amazing how a picture of a vintage power auger can invoke the same feeling in some as a picture of an old car or truck. This has got to be the best sport in the world and is a privilege to us in the ice belt. I'm only a few days out, from getting out on the ice for the first time this season, so any pictures of old equipment or seeing it in action is comforting.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2009, 06:53 PM »

Wow. Never met anyone who's seen one, let alone own one. Yep, Strikemaster and the motor is a Tanaka. The auger and blades are the same as my hand auger. I spoke to a lady at Tanaka and she had to put me on hold get a book from another room. Nothing was on computer. Lol.

My great uncle bought it new. Saw it in use many times while growing up. He offered to sell it to me before he got sick and passed away. Figured I'd never see it again. Then his widow called me. I couldn't drive fast enough. Payed 50.00 for it.  

I'll leave the blades alone. Since the two are interchangeable, I keep an extra set on hand. There's a place nearby that sells resharpened blades for 10.00. Just swap a set with him. Might not be the fastest, but it beats drilling by hand.
I got mine from my best friend. It was his grandfathers, and no one could get it working. They took it to 3 small engine shops and finally stuck it in the basement where it was forgotten about. Then I fixed their other old jiffy and in payment gave me the strikemaster. Alot of work, research and homemade carb parts later, and it runs great.
 I offered it back to my friend but he said keep it, he's happy that its getting used, besides he had bought a new 8" lazer mag.

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:32 PM »
I really hated to do it. I sold the old Strikemaster. Since buying the new Eskimo, she's been just sitting in the shed. Times are tough and I have way too much stuff. Listed it on craigs list last night. Figured nobody would want this old thing. Wrong. Had to scramble home from work and dig it out. Haven't started it since last winter. 10 pulls later it fired right up, old gas and all.

Pretty sure I sounded like an old mother hen when I told him all it's quirks, explained it needed fresh gas and the mixture, showed him where everything was and helped him load it in the car. Lots of stories with that old auger. Hope he has many more.

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Sorry to hear. Times are tough for sure.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:59 PM »
My friends brother has one of those augers, My son just tuned it up for him, It says tanaka on the motor.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:02 PM »
My friends brother has one of those augers, My son just tuned it up for him, It says tanaka on the motor.

Yep, mine was a Tanaka as well. Very well made. Treat it with kid gloves. No parts available.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:40 AM »
There is currently one for sale on the minneapolis craigslist.
Cheese Head

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.