New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091936 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Bowski76 thank you for providing the link with answer to MJD3561's question.
 Steve

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey guys, All the skim ice is making me itchy. I talked with a fisherman on white lake about a month ago. He said the dec had just stocked eyes 20 mins. earlier.  6-8 large nets of fingerlings. Stocking guy says they do it every year! Soooo they are in there and being re stocked. Hope all are well and getting ready for a fun and safe season.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Oh yeah, Nice going Basser!!!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hey guys, All the skim ice is making me itchy. I talked with a fisherman on white lake about a month ago. He said the dec had just stocked eyes 20 mins. earlier.  6-8 large nets of fingerlings. Stocking guy says they do it every year! Soooo they are in there and being re stocked. Hope all are well and getting ready for a fun and safe season.

I believe the Walleye stocking is done by the Sullivan County Conservation Club ..the DEC still stocks trout

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/23285.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I believe the Walleye stocking is done by the Sullivan County Conservation Club ..the DEC still stocks trout
 I know the club stocked. I wonder if the club gets them from the state. Nys raises millions of walleye  fry and hundreds of thousands of fingerlings annually. I have lately heard people get down on White lake about the lack of eyes.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/23285.html

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I know the club stocked. I wonder if the club gets them from the state. Nys raises millions of walleye  fry and hundreds of thousands of fingerlings annually. I have lately heard people get down on White lake about the lack of eyes.

Not sure where the walleyes come from ..most likely one of the NY state wide hatcheries  ..I can not find anywhere on the NY DEC website where the DEC stocks walleyes in White Lake..and you know they would take credit for it if they did ..but that site is notorious for being nearly impossible to find what your looking for .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not sure where the walleyes come from ..most likely one of the NY state wide hatcheries  ..I can not find anywhere on the NY DEC website where the DEC stocks walleyes in White Lake..and you know they would take credit for it if they did ..but that site is notorious for being nearly impossible to find what your looking for .

I poked around in the linked site yesterday and although I was not looking for White Lake I did see where the DEC stocks lots of eyes in SB, Rio, and all the Mongaup river reservoirs. White might have been there as well. There is a way to search by either body of water or species of fish being stocked. You guys with much better internet connections should be able to do some research but it seems to me our local waters are getting more eyes than trout these days but I could be wrong.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
 I can't   find any stocking reports on walleye in any water, but i am not the best at the net either. I am grateful for all that club does. Where ever they come from it keeps the faith knowing they are in there. When I was younger we would crush lakers in W.L. A big laker usually won the contest. Never hear of them caught through the ice any more but they are supposedly  still stocking them.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
 I can't   find any stocking reports on walleye in any water, but i am not the best at the net either. I am grateful for all that club does. Where ever they come from it keeps the faith knowing they are in there. When I was younger we would crush lakers in W.L. A big laker usually won the contest. Never hear of them caught through the ice any more but they are supposedly  still stocking them.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Just caught the link and pics. Thanks Hardwater. Makes me want to send a check to throw a few extra in ;)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
DEC looks to be stocking Brown Trout in White lake in big numbers and size..not finding any Lakers being stocked
White Lake Bethel 4430 May Brown Trout 8.5 - 9.5 inches

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I went to the link HW posted and clicked on Species/Walleye. it shows this if I can attach it here. Walleye 2018 Sullivan, Rio Reservoir, Lumberland, Forestburgh, and June, 8700, 1.6".

I am sure those with a real unlimited connection could find all sorts of info. I have a satellite internet connection with highly limited data caps so I can't really dive too deep searching the DEC site.

Gam

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Once again not the best with cut an paste and all. But If you search 2018 stocking report by county it shows 1600  8.5 inch lakers in White lake. One thing for sure The weather today is no fun.I might take a ride and check on B.P. had fun there about a month ago too! I'm in a camp around the corner from there, where it is rumored to  have beer and whisky!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Looks like the DEC stocked 1600 Lakers in White Lake per year from 2011-2018 ..in the spring of those years and have been regularly stocking Rio with Walleyes since 2015

https://data.ny.gov/Recreation/Fish-Stocking-Lists-Actual-Beginning-2011-Data-Len/9hpx-asd8

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looks like the DEC stocked 1600 Lakers in White Lake per year from 2011-2018 ..in the spring of those years and have been regularly stocking Rio with Walleyes since 2015

https://data.ny.gov/Recreation/Fish-Stocking-Lists-Actual-Beginning-2011-Data-Len/9hpx-asd8

YUP! Too bad there is no way of knowing how many of those tiny stocked fishes, walleye or trout, become bait fish for the existing predators already there. I stink at catching walleyes from any waters where I know they are there. Saw a couple guys last year with some real nice eyes caught at Rio and a couple nicer ones from Toronto. Years ago, early 90s, I did pretty well on WL trolling deep for the lakers. Last winter on WL the week before the King contest I found a large school of large fish visible on my finder but could not entice a single one to hit. I have similar luck on the Rio and Toronto and I could not win a contest if I was the only guy fishing it. Apparently I do better at feeding the fish than I do at them feeding me. Its a good thing I don't relate my fishing success to the price per pound

Gam

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
So when does everyone think were going to see say four inches on the typical "first spots"?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So when does everyone think were going to see say four inches on the typical "first spots"?

As soon as all this global warming that is killing the glaciers and polar bears sends the icebergs our way! Not sure how the scientists might spin this but the polar bears population has actually increased and it is pretty cold here in Sullivan county right now and although I don't wish for the next "Ice Age" an early ice season sure would do my heart good. All I want for Christmas is ICE!

Gam

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any sale going on for flasher particularly vexilar 8se

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Any sale going on for flasher particularly vexilar 8se

FishUSA $50 Off $250 ...usually finding $50 off MSRP for Vexilar is pretty standard ..most have free shipping..if you can find no tax that's even better ..FishUSA ships fast

Offline Matt_Perch

• IceShanty Rookie
Temps looking good going into the first and second week of december, safe to say though i dont think were gonna have any good ice till  around NYE, but who knows?

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Past few years my first time out in Sullivan is always around the week of the 20th in Dec.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Just want to wish my fellow SENY Ice Shanty Members a Happy Thanksgiving.  Safe trips to all who are traveling this holiday.

Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Past few years my first time out in Sullivan is always around the week of the 20th in Dec.

Any time before January 1st is a bonus ..but Christmas week good icr can be found in Sullivan county

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Just want to wish my fellow SENY Ice Shanty Members a Happy Thanksgiving.  Safe trips to all who are traveling this holiday.

Steve
To you as well Steve. When you look at the  extended forecast A few degrees lower than expected and if the snow and rain Stay off the ice you could easily see 4 inches by 12/20. I know guys who had 4 inches last year around the tenth of December on some small local ponds. Of course it didn't last. 

Offline Matt_Perch

• IceShanty Rookie
Weekend before christmas???? Temps looking kinda good if the snow stays away

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well folks I was able to stand on the hardwater yesterday and test some gear/auger combos . It was my usual first spot.. had 5 inches of ice out to 100 yards ...most of the snow pack had melted into the ice I was able to test my new 8" HT E-Drill with a Milwaukee 2804 w/5ah batteries ..the auger worked just fine..even had an 8" Mora that worked fine for a side by side test ..the HTs center point and ring are a big plus ..the weight difference was noticeable but negatable . My fishing buddy liked the HTs side handle while I preferred the drills side handle . I even added my 12ah battery to the mix but to me it didn't feel right.The HT auger will eventually go on myMil 2704/ Clam Plate set up .

http://htice.com/ht-enterprises-e-drill-auger-kit-w-eda-14-adptr/?fbclid=IwAR03MP7A3QXb-5ntSFuz4W8pL2Jlt5ZSfBiFHIVuVsDXkCoSuTx-LJQeZLI

https://www.facebook.com/htenterprisesinc/videos/2873342332676485/?t=2

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I had high hopes we could have safe ice by the week between Christmas and New Year. Looking at the predictions for this week with 40-50 degree temps and rain will probably shoot us down. Small ponds might still make some ice but very doubtful the big lakes will.

I switched last year to the Milwakee Fuel drill and my old SM Lazer auger on a Clam plate and will never go back to the old gas augers. Love the Clam plate set up and with sharp blades on the Lazer auger it eats ice like butter. We drilled over 40 holes in 6-8 inches with the 5 AH battery and still had plenty of juice for more.

Gam

Offline Matt_Perch

• IceShanty Rookie
I had high hopes we could have safe ice by the week between Christmas and New Year. Looking at the predictions for this week with 40-50 degree temps and rain will probably shoot us down. Small ponds might still make some ice but very doubtful the big lakes will.

I switched last year to the Milwakee Fuel drill and my old SM Lazer auger on a Clam plate and will never go back to the old gas augers. Love the Clam plate set up and with sharp blades on the Lazer auger it eats ice like butter. We drilled over 40 holes in 6-8 inches with the 5 AH battery and still had plenty of juice for more.

Gam

Thats awesome i had similar results with the DeWalt cordless hammerdrill with the 20/60V FlexVolt batteries i drilled about 30 holes in 10 inches of ice one day with it below 15 degrees outside and windy keeping the drill and battery outside and still had 3/3 bars of battery life at the end of the day. its amazing how lithium ion batteries really preform well in the cold.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.