Author Topic: Ice Tents  (Read 2691 times)

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Tents
« on: Dec 07, 2004, 09:38 AM »
I was wondering everybodies .02 cents about the portable shacks. There is a 5x6x6 in crappy Tire for 147.99 Kindof sceptical though. Not too sure how warm it will be and what is the best material to look for  for durablility. Thanks
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Tents
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2004, 09:46 AM »
Jeff ask our buddy Vinny K what he thinks of his ice tent ;D  It was very hard for even two guys to set up in the wind .Tough it out this year and next year when you move back here we will build  a nice shack.

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2004, 06:53 PM »
my brother receive one as a gift last years and the verdict is clear:it  worth nothing .not easy to set up.not good material.not easy to move.etc.
just a suggest built yourself one.

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2004, 07:59 PM »
Reelmaster -

I bought one last year and the first time out it was okay in fact I enjoyed the roominess. The second trip was another story... That was 4ell to say the least. The wind was very strong and the tent was very weak. It got a few burn holes due to the wind making the tent twist and cave in and when it did the tent touched my lamp & heater. I returned it and would only suggest using one on a lake that shelters you from the wind or on a calm day...
If you can find a calm winter day or a natural wind block you got it made...  :tipup:  ::)

Mole!
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2004, 08:49 AM »
Thanks guy. That is my deciding factor then. They are no good

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2004, 12:23 PM »
Well I will say one thing and that is that not all tents are created equal and their potential usefulness is underestimated...well I guess that two ;D  I've had a tent for the last +5 years and it served me very well in all but the strongest winds.  It weighed maybe 15lbs and folded small so I could take it anywhere.  That being said it was unique (never found or saw another one after the year I bought mine) and most tents I've seen do look useless.  Mine had a one peice constuction and popped up to the shape of a typical dome tent in less than 5 seconds.  Do not get a tent where you have to put poles together or thread them through sleeves etc. or your toast!!!  Mine had a one piece internal hinged aluminum frame and I could pop the tent up or take it down in literally a second or two.  Very important factor in windy conditions.  The beauty of a tent is you can get a relatively large space for very little weight.  If ya can't carry out the heavy home built or big commercial model to where you wanna fish or can't fit it in the car then what good is it to ya.  Or worse yet, if you compromise on fishing spots and mobility because of the weight of the shed. 

From what I can see here are the pluses tundra tuff has over my old tent.  #1 you can anchor it with screws at the corners and sides instead of relying on snow to weight down flaps at the bottom.  So you can anchor the tent at all 4 corners before erecting anything and nothing will blow away as your working.  #2 its roof/shape means you can stand up in it at almost any point inside and the bowed out walls make it feel huge inside.  #3 you can attach a guy wire to the mid point of any of the outside walls to help keep it upright on those real windy days. #4 The bowed out shape of the walls means it will shed the wind instead of catching it like a kite.  The tent also comes with interior tension straps that run from bottom to top and wall to wall so you can firm up the tension to prevent leaning and withstand wind better.  The downsides are the one smallish door and limited windows that may be a bit high to look out when your seated.  It also takes more motions to put up than my old one did...not great in the wind but if its anchored down already it shouldn't be a big issue.  If my first trials go okay I may go to a tent and awning place to have them put in another door and window. 

I will post some pictures from this weekend.  I have an idea for an anchor system other than the screws that come with the tent which I will post pictures of too if it works out.

I fish therefore I AM!

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2004, 02:42 PM »
thanks for the replies

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2004, 10:18 AM »
Well I got the Tundra Tuff tent out this weekend.  It was pretty windy in the morning so a good test day.  Unfortunately the results were very dissappointing.  Got the tent out and staked it all down before erecting then added a couple guy lines for added support.  The tent bucked around in the wind and the bottom flap material that hold the eyelets for staking down the tent is simply not strong enough.  On my old tent they used a heavier grade nylon at the bottom (which was strong enough to take a real good pull - necessary when tent freezes to ice) but with this tent its the same material that the rest of the unit was built with and ripped within the first few minutes it was up.  The stuff stretched and tore really quite easily and not only that but the sewing at the seams started popping as well.  The sides flexed out of shape pretty badly in the wind too and did not shed as much wind as I thought they would.  The only plus side to the tent was the screws that came with it.  They went in like butter and came out even easier and I'm sure they'd hold down a train if they had to.  Anyways, I will be returning my tent for something else.  I'll hold out for something smaller and hopefully tougher or I'll do some mods to an existing design.  If you need something in calm weather this tent would be okay I guess as there is a fair bit of room in them.  Just won't do the job that I need it to do though.  Sorry to be the bearer or bad news Randy :'(

I fish therefore I AM!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2004, 01:00 PM »
Hey guys. What about the Eskimo Pro shelters? I decided not to get a Shappell, because they are connected to the floor with staples, which we all know rust. I am looking for a portable shelter, because some of the lakes that I fish require that shelters be removed daily. Any advice wil be appreciated.

valk_tourer

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2004, 02:57 PM »
Staples?  Maybe some models but I got a Shappell DX3000 and there is no staples that I know of.  Maybe that was the one with the wooden floor, which the Deluxe model does not have.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2004, 04:36 PM »
I got a one man Otter. Fantastic for me! Dont know what your needs are. Very tough in the wind, easy to pop up and over, maybee 30 seconds? Very windproof or darn near. The sled holds rods, bait, gas auger (3hp jiffy)and a vex and a aqua vu.  Could drag a heater too, but I dont need one. I work in the weather all year. It feels 30 deegrees warmer just playing on ice instead of workin in it! ;D
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2004, 04:44 PM »
 I have a Shappell3000DX as well and I love it 3 years now. I own a Harley fatboy and I love that too. I think it's like the guys who ride jap bikes they say Harley's suck and would never own one , but the truth is they can't afford one and are embaressed about it so they make up excuses. P.S. I used to ride Honda's for years so I know all about it and I only dreamed about owning a Harley someday....lol
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2004, 04:45 PM »
I agree in that there are a lot of tents out there and a lot of junk too. I did a year's worth of research on here and talked to every guy on the ice with a tent before I bought my Shappell 3000 and love it as suits my needs perfectly. That is not to say that it is perfect for everybody as price, weight, size,windows and such are all important to each individual. I will say though that I never talked to anybody who bought a cheapie that was happy with it for more than one season. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

will

« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:48 AM »
I just called on a ad in local paper for $25 ice shanty and the guy said he was selling just the canvas and yoiu had to make you own frames. I t come with directions and he said the canvas was wind and water proof with a window and zippers in both ends. I havent got to go look it over yet has anyone heard of this before and how good is it.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2004, 09:44 AM »
Hey Mark. I ride a Jap Bike...LOL a Suzuki Marauder. If you guys say the Shappell is the way to go, then I will check them out. What about the Eskimos though?

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2004, 09:59 AM »
You really need to go somewhere where you can see some of these set up. First you need to decide what type of shelter you want (ie what size, how many you want to fish out of it). I have 2 Shappells a 4000 and a Rover.   The 4000 is great for 2-3 people but certainly not as easy to use as the one man Rover (a sled pull-over).  If you are going to go by yourself a Rover is very nice!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2004, 10:17 AM »
My opinion has changed. Yesterday went to little saskatchewan river with a guy in my class who had a frabill ranger. It was easy to setup and kept us out of the eliments. Had to turn off his little coleman burner becasue it was way too hot. No fish though

Offline frozen stiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2004, 03:38 PM »
Need input.Looking to up grade from my shappell's 2-man to either the new shappell's 4-man or the clam 4-man 6500. Kid's are getting bigger need room for all of us to fish. First post great site. shhhhhhhhhh got a nibble

Paradice

« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2004, 03:46 PM »
When it comes to portables, you really get what you pay for.  Here's where you most often lose:

-cheap canvas
-size
-ease of setup
-weight
-durability
-seating and overhead space and fishable space in the fishouse. 

I just bought an eskimo III and i got it for a song.  That's my reccomendation if you go with friends. 

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2004, 08:26 PM »
Need input.Looking to up grade from my shappell's 2-man to either the new shappell's 4-man or the clam 4-man 6500. Kid's are getting bigger need room for all of us to fish. First post great site. shhhhhhhhhh got a nibble

I have young'uns and an early season sale saw me purchase 2 Clam 2000s.  I haven't used them yet (weekends too busy to go fishing lately).  My thought was that they are small enough if I am going out myself and big enough to get most of the family inside if we get out in poorer weather.  And the two of them put together was less money than the big Clam.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline seaice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2004, 09:02 PM »
I have an Eskimo Traveler. The set up time is a little tough, roughly 3 to 5 minutes with no wind. Also, if its very cold the plastic taps that connect the metal framing can break, but easily fixable. Other wise its been a great and durable portable for the price. You can take down the shack in less than minute and be on your way. I'll use it again this year, than pass it on to my newphews. I've been researching new portables all year and I think I'll invest in the Clam line of portables next year. Most likely the clam 5600. They look like a quality made product, roomy and a fair price.

Offline frozen stiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2004, 03:36 PM »
  Thanks for the input guys.I'm going to have to size them up and pick the best one I hope.Kinda like the 2 shanty thing. Shhhhhhhhhh got a nibble ;)2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.