The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New MN Members Check in Here!  (Read 174148 times)

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
Re: New MN Members Check in Here!
« Reply #330 on: Jan 22, 2011, 01:14 PM »
haha i started in constuction when i was 17 and did that for years, now i am a driver and crew foreman for a moving company.. belive it or not we were wearing just long sleeve shirts (long john tops)  under our work t shirts and thats it.. no coat or hoody.. you dont want to work up a sweat carring dressers and such when its that cold or ya can get sick lol one of the best guys on my crew is a member of this site too and that guy will work in a t shirt no matter what weather---crazy red heads!

Offline majocmatt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #331 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:29 PM »
lol im sorry to laugh at ya matt but 30 degrees is nice 'round these parts lol... if you need any tips or anything just let us know,tell us what fish you will be targeting and people will tell ya how deep to fish and what to use for em!! good luck man!

I hear ya, I've been keeping an eye on the temps around Mille Lacs and it's quite overwhelming to say the least. I mentioned 30 degrees because that's the coldest it's ever gotten where I'm from, and after seeing how cold it gets there, you've earned the right to laugh at me. I love visiting new places, and experiencing new things, so ice fishing seemed to be relatively right up my alley, so I'm excited!

Since I'm such a newbie, I chose to stay at a resort's ice house for a long weekend in southeast Mille Lacs. That makes my options limited, depending on where they place our ice house, but I think it's my best option since I'm bringing the wife and it's our first time. I was hoping to get into some perch and walleye, but honestly anything will be icing on the cake. Don't know much about either though, other than the current regulations.

I've been learning a lot online (along with this site) about the ice fishing culture, and it is just so different than from what I'm accustomed to, it's really gotten me motivated for the challenge and overall experience. I'm used to cruising up and down a white powdery beach wearing nothing but swimming trunks, jerking a soft bait in the waves for snook while my surf rod sits and awaits a blacktip with a chunk of cut mackerel on the end. So you know I'm in for it! Hopefully I'll have some pics and and words to share after my trip. I'll be sure to share it here!

the ice house I'm staying in has 4 holes and 4 rattle wheels, but I'm going to bring one of my rods for jigging. I've gotten advice in the general chat area about what kind of gear I should bring, but anything else you could share, I would listen.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #332 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:35 PM »
well for perch and walleye i would use a northland forage minnow or a jigging rapala .. that way you can hit either species of the same lure.. im sure the ice cabin will provide live bait for the rattle wheels,and a good frisky fat head minnow will land ya any fish down there. and i wasnt really laughin at you , but when you said "when is gets really cold here" it did crack me up.. good luck man! keep us posted on how it goes.

Offline adc1825

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #333 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:36 AM »
Newbie to MN ice as well.  Glad the ice has finally gotten good in SW Mn.  Now headed to Mille Lacs this weekend for a go. 

Aaron

Offline pumba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #334 on: Jan 27, 2011, 09:08 AM »
Im Pumba just joined, fairly new to ice fishing on my 3rd year.  live in central MN inbetween Willmar and St. Cloud.  Mainly fish in this area, Koronis and Rice. 

Offline PondAssassin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #335 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:12 PM »
hey,

Just joining up today. I'd forgotten just how much fun fishing is and picked up the bug in a bad way again this last summer. needless to say, i've purchased just about everything for this winter and I'll be looking to this group that must have about 1000 years of combined experience in ice fishing. I'm pretty lucky as I live on a pond in Blaine that is fed via creeks/ditches to lakes/rivers. Have a good variety (gills/seeds/crappie/lm's and pike). had a good run until last 7 days. Where have the fish gone? drilled 50 holes today and not seeing anything on the 5.6. Pond is about 35 in deepest and about 15 avg otherwise. looking for ideas to locate the panfish if nothing else.

PA

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #336 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:29 PM »
Its the dog days of winter.. iv changed to 3 different lakes today and caught very few fish.. Weather has a lot to do with it to. Remember how warm it was the past few days ? And now we have a cold front moveing thou the fish are very tight lipped when ever this happeneds .. It should turn around by wed. (I HOPE ) !
Hard Ice

Offline PondAssassin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #337 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Thanks Hard Ice. One can only hope this doesn't last long. Watching fronts, pressure and temp. I'd watch paint dry if I knew it would help with the fish. Might have to take the boys to a lake this weekend v staying with the pond.  It kills me...I know that there are slabs out there...laughing at me.... perhaps even mocking me. 

PA

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #338 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:21 PM »
Yep i know just what your talking about. They laughed at me last weekend as well but tonite i got the last laugh.. Found crappies mixed in with a few walleyes just under the ice in 25 feet of water .. They were 10 feet done and feeding slowley.@
Hard Ice

Offline cro_770

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #339 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:11 PM »
Hi,
My names Kent, I'm also new to this site. I've been fishing since i was little and just started spearing this year.  I live in Glen, MN which is about 6 miles north of mille lacs.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #340 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Welcome !
Hard Ice

Offline pumba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #341 on: Feb 10, 2011, 10:33 AM »
Welcome.

Offline PondAssassin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #342 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:54 PM »
Welcome!

Offline KrappieKilla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #343 on: Feb 23, 2011, 04:19 PM »
Hi there,  New to the site.  I live in Wright County and mostly fish local lakes - Buffalo, Constance, Eagle, Ida, Maple, etc.  I love a trip to Red Lake and hope to get to LOTW in March of this year.

As a youngster my parents and I would spend every winter weekend up on Mille Lacs lake.  Lots of good memories, lots of fish.  Those were the days.  I suppose that is what triggered my addiction for hardwater fishin' as an adult.

Absolutely can't get enough.  Been out 35 times this year on about 10 different bodies of water (I decided to keep a fishing journal this year).

Good luck and tight lines!

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #344 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:32 PM »
welcome

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline the fishing gene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #345 on: Feb 25, 2011, 11:51 AM »
Hi all,
My name is Gene, I live in Wright County. I've fished all my life and been ice fishing about 8 years. I'm a pretty casual ice fisherman, I love to be on the ice catching or not. Caught a few biggies in my time - not much this year though.

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #346 on: Feb 27, 2011, 09:13 AM »
Hi all,
My name is Gene, I live in Wright County. I've fished all my life and been ice fishing about 8 years. I'm a pretty casual ice fisherman, I love to be on the ice catching or not. Caught a few biggies in my time - not much this year though.
welcome Gene ;D

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mntradition

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #347 on: Feb 28, 2011, 07:35 AM »
Hey everyone. My name is brandon. I've been ice fishing for 20 of my 25 years. From the St. Paul area. I fish all around the metro, rochester area, Chisago area, and south west MN.

Offline kngfsher1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #348 on: Feb 28, 2011, 04:03 PM »
Hi all!  I'm from Maplewood, and have been ice fishing for the last 20 or so years of my 27 years.  I love being out on the ice, and get out every chance I get!!!  I love chasing the larger crappies of the croix, but am always willing to chase what swims under the ice.  I grew up in the metro area and have fished a lot of the lakes in the east metro area, both open water and during the ice season, and can't seem to get enough!!!!
Pannies, eyes, pike, I don\\\\\\\'t care!  Let\\\\\\\'s go fishing!<br /><br />There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process

Offline pumba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #349 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:25 AM »
welcome glad your here

Offline coryrhonda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #350 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Hi,  from St Cloud.  Fished off and on my whole life.  Hoping to fish more often now.  Fish LOTW, Pelican by Breeezy Point, and Red each year and the St Cloud area when I have time and not lazy.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #351 on: Mar 08, 2011, 06:15 AM »
Welcome !
Hard Ice

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #352 on: Mar 09, 2011, 01:44 AM »
Hey everyone. My name is brandon. I've been ice fishing for 20 of my 25 years. From the St. Paul area. I fish all around the metro, rochester area, Chisago area, and south west MN.

if you make it to rochester before ice out PM me.. it would be nice to have an IS fishing day

Offline swanny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #353 on: Jul 15, 2011, 12:21 PM »
Name: Josh
Years fishing: 26
I use to get out summer fishing to ice fishing 2-1, lately that has flipped around.

Fish house:
Eskimo Quickfish III w/custom floor.

Plans:
Find a snowmobile trailer to haul my sled to the lake and my fish house, then build a perm shanty and place that somewhere else for mid-late season ice.

Lakes I fish:

Ottertail Lake, Ottertail, MN
Fish Lake, Spring Lake Township, MN
Lake Minnetonka (mostly Wayzata bay), Wayzata, MN
Prior Lake (both), Prior Lake, MN

Want to try:
most of the southern metro lakes.

Thanks!

Offline Brandosully

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #354 on: Sep 24, 2011, 02:10 PM »
hello my fellow ice shanty buddies. im brandon live in anoka have been ice fishing my whole life. i could ice fish everyday. love to fish mille lacs. good luck

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #355 on: Sep 24, 2011, 11:53 PM »
nice to have your guys here swanny and brando! im kyle and live about an hour south of you guys in rochester.. good luck this year guys!

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #356 on: Sep 27, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Welcome Guys !
Hard Ice

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #357 on: Sep 29, 2011, 05:43 PM »
Welcome aboard!  Swanny; I want to hear more about that custom floor you mentioned!
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #358 on: Oct 13, 2011, 09:11 PM »
New to MN... not new to the forum. I come from the WI side. Just moved from Menomonie over to St Paul. Looking for some places to ice fish close by, but I have a feeling there aren't any..

Offline chillnout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #359 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:26 PM »
Hey guys, from Lino Lakes, fish mostly north metro lakes and river by Stillwater, been gettin out fishing as much as I can for the past 30 years. Good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.