The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New MN Members Check in Here!  (Read 174139 times)

Offline Merimac

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New MN Members Check in Here!
« Reply #300 on: Jan 05, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Merimac in Minneapolis.  I have been driving on parts of Minnetonka with no problems.

Offline icemag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #301 on: Jan 05, 2011, 02:48 PM »
Hey all, Troy here ice fishing is greatest thing ever! I fish the stillwater area the most. But travel all over trying new lakes. Hope everyone fishing is going great this year!

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #302 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:38 PM »
welcome newbies!!!! iceshanty loves a fresh supply of hardwater addicts everynow any then ;D

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #303 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:05 PM »
welcome to all the newbies, there is lotsa good info on the shanty and we hope to hear some good thoughts from you, enjoy!!!!

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline oldschool71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #304 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:59 AM »
Hello,

My name is Rich. I would consider my self a ice fisherman in constant learning. I am always looking to pick up new information and techniques and thought that this site may help with that.

JUST FISH!

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #305 on: Jan 07, 2011, 04:14 PM »
Hello,

My name is Rich. I would consider my self a ice fisherman in constant learning. I am always looking to pick up new information and techniques and thought that this site may help with that.
welcome Rich this site will defenately help, hope you enjoy ;D

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #306 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:53 PM »
welcome rich.... i have learned alot from this site.. prepare to be amazed bud!

Offline amorace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #307 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:53 PM »
Tough weekend on Dead Lake in Ottertail County.. our road flooded.. slush.  Ice Castles in the middle of the lake with 10" of slush.  Freeze baby Freeze....  Might have to pull them when we can.. the Blizzard around New Years really hurt

Offline wally1981

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #308 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Good Morning Everyone.  Just jumping into say hi.  Been registered for a while but never posted.  Looks like I need to make a few posts to get access to the fishing reports.  Hope to share what I can.  Looking forward to a trip to LOW this weekend.   ;D

Offline Tabor-MN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #309 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:21 PM »
Name is Mike. Live in Albert Lea. I fish the local lakes and up in the Fairbault region. Have only been "Serious" Ice fishing the past couple years but absolutely love it.  Always looking for more tips and information about the sport. Learn something new everytime i log into this forum, one of the best around.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #310 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Name is Mike. Live in Albert Lea. I fish the local lakes and up in the Fairbault region. Have only been "Serious" Ice fishing the past couple years but absolutely love it.  Always looking for more tips and information about the sport. Learn something new everytime i log into this forum, one of the best around.

welcome guys.. and tabor.. i have family in Austin area.. whats you fav lake around there.. i want to take my little brother out sometime before spring and dont feel like dragging him all  the way to rochester and back for the lakes around me..

Offline Tabor-MN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #311 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:32 PM »
welcome guys.. and tabor.. i have family in Austin area.. whats you fav lake around there.. i want to take my little brother out sometime before spring and dont feel like dragging him all  the way to rochester and back for the lakes around me..

Its been hit or miss around here. Fountain lake has been good for gills. Nothing huge by any means but should catch fish, been using colored spikes. Maybe a few Crappie if you're lucky. I hear Albert Lea has been decent by the interstate bridge also, haven't tried it myself so dont hold me to it ha. Geneva has been hit or miss also on Northern and nice Perch. Hope this helps.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #312 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:39 PM »
yeah it does.. thanks man.. he is only 5 yrs old so anything is a trophy to him. i took him fishing off a dock once in rochester and nailed tons of tiny gills and he talked about it for months,told the babysitter,teachers,our mom, anyone that would listen; about how many fish he caught lol. i think he will have a blast ice fishing for the first time close to his own home

Offline Vipro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A room with a view!
« Reply #313 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:06 PM »
Hi, I'm RJ. I'm pretty new to ice fishing, but I'm hooked! I grew up in SE Alaska on the coast and all fresh water fishing is pretty foreign to me, nothing like what i grew up doing. I live just south of the whitefish chain and am eager to start learning the lakes in my area as well as a whole different world of fishing! ??? :tipup:
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a boat and he'll scare the fish away!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #314 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:05 PM »
Welcome new anglers.  I hope some of you decided to take up some trout fishing on this winter opener.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #315 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:36 AM »
welcome guys, hope you enjoy

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #316 on: Jan 16, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Hi, I'm RJ. I'm pretty new to ice fishing, but I'm hooked! I grew up in SE Alaska on the coast and all fresh water fishing is pretty foreign to me, nothing like what i grew up doing. I live just south of the whitefish chain and am eager to start learning the lakes in my area as well as a whole different world of fishing! ??? :tipup:

so what are you thinking of freshwater so far?

Offline cledwyn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #317 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:39 AM »
Hello all!  My [4 year old] son got be back into fishing after 25+ years this summer.  I'm loving being new to something again, and am really enjoying fishing. 

We got a hand auger for Christmas and have been hitting local city lakes (St. Paul, City living means no cabin, no boat, etc) all the with moderate success.  I'm glad to find an online community that looks active and engaged.  I'd love some tips on where I could take him and have at least some luck like we do in the summer off the DNR fishing piers.  For him a 4" sunfish is as exciting as a 4# northern.  (Not that we wouldn't mind catching bigger fish)  But for now I need to "set the hook" in his interest again so going out in this cold weather is not so much standing around, or playing on the ice but might also include some fish action. 

Any tips would be welcome.

Offline Vipro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A room with a view!
« Reply #318 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:13 AM »
so what are you thinking of freshwater so far?

I'm liking it. My first experiences were a bit disappointing so I haven't fished much since I've lived here, but I have trouble staying away from the water and eventually came back. The size of the fish is what initially turned me off here, but fishing around here is a little more fast paced than I grew up on, which is what is winning me over. Growing up, we'd spend all day on the water and if everybody caught 1 it was a good day. But really it's the fishing more than the catching i enjoy anyway, ice fishing doubly so.

Alaska (Halibut 70#)

Minnesota
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a boat and he'll scare the fish away!

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #319 on: Jan 18, 2011, 12:00 PM »
hey now that's a good sized crappie lol you could always set up some tip ups for some northern ya know,that might give you a size fix for a while

Offline Vipro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A room with a view!
« Reply #320 on: Jan 18, 2011, 12:41 PM »
I'm pretty much over my block about fish size, just trying to master some basic skills now. Besides that the wife is all about eating crappie. lol ;)

Offline tommybanzai

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #321 on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:15 PM »
Hiya All!!!
Wright County Resident checking in here!  ;D

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #322 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:38 PM »
good to hear vipro.. what did you think of trying to clean something that small for the first time? haha and welcome tommybanai!!!

Offline majocmatt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #323 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:51 PM »
Hi all, the name's Matt, I'm not from MN so I don't know if I qualify, but I'm certainly a newbie and I plan to make a once a year (at least) Minnesota ice fishing tradition starting this year. I've booked my first ever ice fishing trip to Lake Mille Lacs for the last week in January.. next week! I'm really excited, and a little scared to be quite honest!

The main reason is because I was born, raised and still reside in Florida. I see snow only a couple times a year during trips, and have never stepped foot on a frozen lake. For the most part, I'm a land-based fisherman here in FL and it has been every good to me. But when it gets really cold here (30 degrees), it makes the news because it kills lots of unsuspecting fish. Last winter we lost thousands of inshore species because of a single week where the temp reached below freezing -- which is very rare. As you can see, I am a total newbie when it comes to not only cold weather, but also ice fishing.

Hopefully with some luck and persistence I will be able to catch and taste some of Minnesota's storied species, all of which I've never caught nor feasted upon. I hope to post my experiences and photos of my catch following my trip here on iceshanty! The trip will include just my wife and I, who is also an avid fisherwomen here in FL. I'm sure we'll have fun whether we catch or not since it's such a new and different experience.

Thanks for reading,

-Matt

Offline Vipro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A room with a view!
« Reply #324 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:58 AM »
good to hear vipro.. what did you think of trying to clean something that small for the first time? haha

definetly makes getting a decent meal into more work than I'm used to. lol

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #325 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Hi all, the name's Matt, I'm not from MN so I don't know if I qualify, but I'm certainly a newbie and I plan to make a once a year (at least) Minnesota ice fishing tradition starting this year. I've booked my first ever ice fishing trip to Lake Mille Lacs for the last week in January.. next week! I'm really excited, and a little scared to be quite honest!

The main reason is because I was born, raised and still reside in Florida. I see snow only a couple times a year during trips, and have never stepped foot on a frozen lake. For the most part, I'm a land-based fisherman here in FL and it has been every good to me. But when it gets really cold here (30 degrees), it makes the news because it kills lots of unsuspecting fish. Last winter we lost thousands of inshore species because of a single week where the temp reached below freezing -- which is very rare. As you can see, I am a total newbie when it comes to not only cold weather, but also ice fishing.

Hopefully with some luck and persistence I will be able to catch and taste some of Minnesota's storied species, all of which I've never caught nor feasted upon. I hope to post my experiences and photos of my catch following my trip here on iceshanty! The trip will include just my wife and I, who is also an avid fisherwomen here in FL. I'm sure we'll have fun whether we catch or not since it's such a new and different experience.

Thanks for reading,

-Matt

lol im sorry to laugh at ya matt but 30 degrees is nice 'round these parts lol... if you need any tips or anything just let us know,tell us what fish you will be targeting and people will tell ya how deep to fish and what to use for em!! good luck man!

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #326 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:51 PM »
lol im sorry to laugh at ya matt but 30 degrees is nice 'round these parts lol... if you need any tips or anything just let us know,tell us what fish you will be targeting and people will tell ya how deep to fish and what to use for em!! good luck man!
Minus 30 was the windchill last night in most of the state I hear.  Didn't International Falls have a -30 degree actual temp this week?
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline Vipro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A room with a view!
« Reply #327 on: Jan 21, 2011, 08:14 PM »
i read 34 below last night just north of brainerd

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #328 on: Jan 21, 2011, 10:06 PM »
ys sir hardwaterproblem.. it was -30 the other night and -15 when i went to work yesterday morning...i work outside too!

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #329 on: Jan 21, 2011, 11:20 PM »
ys sir hardwaterproblem.. it was -30 the other night and -15 when i went to work yesterday morning...i work outside too!
I would work slingin' burgers indoors before I would work outside in minus thirty!!!  fishing is different, but working... not a chance.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.