The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New MN Members Check in Here!  (Read 174139 times)

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New MN Members Check in Here!
« Reply #180 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:52 AM »
South end of mil lacs .. March 6 ..
Hard Ice

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
New
« Reply #181 on: Jan 23, 2010, 12:36 PM »
If you look their is a thread all about it at the top of the minnesota board. Its a great time.

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:24 PM »
Hi! My name's Mark...new to this site, but an ol' well-seasoned fisherman. Live in southern Minny, but ice fish mainly up at White Bear Lake and Centerville area during winter season, with an occasional trip to Pepin for walleyes. I soft water fish at Lake Pepin in Lake City, and also on the Zumbro River by Oronoco, Mn. for crappies/stripers. Still do the McGregor area tournament the 1st week of June at Lake Minnewawa & Big Sandy for waldos & northerns. Now I prefer to relax a bit more and find the panfishing is actually more fun for me. Gotta love those stripers!!

Welcome Rebelss. Have you fished White Bear this year? Never seen the water this low. Unreal. Haven't heard any good reports so far.

Offline TWdecoys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #183 on: Jan 24, 2010, 01:41 PM »
Hi, My name is Terrie, I am 48 years old and live in Randall. Ice fishing and spearing has always been a part of my life. I am the current President of the Minnesota Darkhouse and angling association Brainerd Lakes area chapter. In my spare time I carve fish decoys at a rate of between 60 and 120 a year. My favorite lake to spear is Whitefish being the big one North of brainerd. My favorite lake to angle is where ever the fish are biteing!.

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #184 on: Jan 24, 2010, 04:02 PM »
Hi, My name is Terrie, I am 48 years old and live in Randall. Ice fishing and spearing has always been a part of my life. I am the current President of the Minnesota Darkhouse and angling association Brainerd Lakes area chapter. In my spare time I carve fish decoys at a rate of between 60 and 120 a year. My favorite lake to spear is Whitefish being the big one North of brainerd. My favorite lake to angle is where ever the fish are biteing!.
welcome to IS Terrie, we are having a get together on march 6th you are welcome to come ;D

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Welcome all new members of ice shanty.com !
Hard Ice

Offline AmsoilJim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #186 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:51 PM »
Welcome all new members of ice shanty.com !
My name is Jim and have been fishing and hunting since I was a kid. From north metro area my whole life with lakes everywhere in the state. Just joined as a member but have been checking this site out for quite some time. I think ice fishing is my favorite and do have many boats for the lakes and rivers being I fish all over the state and sometimes Wisconsin and Ontario. One of my favorite places to icefish is LOTW on snowmobiles and otters not knowing what you will catch but mostly fish around the metro area and Mille Lacs.

Offline Wabedo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #187 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:57 AM »
Somewhat of an oldtimer; Only fish hardwater, and only on one lake for the last 25 years. Interested in learning / reading about what type of equipment problems folks have on your MN Community forum.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #188 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:47 AM »
RowdyRay: Plan on going up to WB this weekend (1-30), but have seen nothing but bad reports on conditions up there..think it's worth the trip, or maybe try another lake? Thanks!   ???Rebelss
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline soldoncass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #189 on: Jan 27, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Hi, Been lurking for a while....decided to sign up, so I can post some. I'm retired, love to fish in the spring, summer, and fall. Been out icefishing 4 times, so far, and it is interesting(or challenging). Really like the tips/inventions I read about on here (I'm a "tinker'er)  ;D.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #190 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:00 PM »
Jim, just bought some of your product to use in my old Jiffy!  My name is Bill, my wife and I mainly fish Leech Lake.  I have fished that area of Minnesota for the past 50 years.  But have lived in ND most of that time, a few years inthe cities.  Also fish LOTW a couple times/winter.

Offline fishscaringsrvc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #191 on: Jan 31, 2010, 12:16 PM »
My name is Nate and I live in Moorhead, MN. I fish the Detroit Lakes area most of the time but also fish up by Thief River Falls and a couple trips to LOW per winter. Been fishing since I was little but just scored a finder this winter and an awesome gf who bought a boat last summer! As you can see by my login name I don't claim to be any master angler but love to go out and catch whatever is biting.
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
-Ronald Reagan-

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #192 on: Jan 31, 2010, 12:26 PM »
My name is Nate and I live in Moorhead, MN. I fish the Detroit Lakes area most of the time but also fish up by Thief River Falls and a couple trips to LOW per winter. Been fishing since I was little but just scored a finder this winter and an awesome gf who bought a boat last summer! As you can see by my login name I don't claim to be any master angler but love to go out and catch whatever is biting.
welcome nate ;D

Offline redruff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #193 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:59 PM »
Bill from Plymouth.
Grew up on Osakis.... inherited the money pit..um family property on the north end of Little Lake Osakis.
Fish Big Osakis and Minnewaska a lot.
LOVE to bow hunt and spear.

Signed up on here a year or two ago..then just rediscovered it. Spend a far amt of time on LSF as well.

I have a metro spear house so I get out a lot.
I'm planning on meeting on Mille Lacs for the March 6th get together.....

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #194 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:03 PM »
Redruff, welcome... Im on lsf to but spend more time here much frendler croud !
Hard Ice

Offline HikingMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Feb 01, 2010, 01:44 AM »
Hey ya'll,
   I'm Jon, and I live in Shakopee.  The most of my life.  I have fished pretty much every lake in this state.  The ice is treating me pretty good.  Just yesterday I caught some crappies, sunnies, perch, and a decent northern in about four hours.  Hit up Carl's Lake (aka Mc Mahon).  I guess join the rest of the crowd, because it does get busy out there.  Just use up those crappie minnows and fatheads.  Good luck and catch ya later.

Offline X Yooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #196 on: Feb 04, 2010, 12:52 PM »
Hi everyone! My name is Josh.  I live in Wisconsin and spent a day last week fishing on White Bear Lake, this was my first time fishing in Minnesota and I didin't do too bad. 

Offline MNfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #197 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Hey Guys ,Just putting my 1st post out to say Good Luck fishin, I live up by Taylors Falls and fish around Chisago Lakes area and in western Wisconsin .  Hitting South Center on Saturday ,tomorrow and hope to get something for the pan .  Hope they are biting!!

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #198 on: Feb 06, 2010, 09:39 AM »
Hey Guys ,Just putting my 1st post out to say Good Luck fishin, I live up by Taylors Falls and fish around Chisago Lakes area and in western Wisconsin .  Hitting South Center on Saturday ,tomorrow and hope to get something for the pan .  Hope they are biting!!
Hi everyone! My name is Josh.  I live in Wisconsin and spent a day last week fishing on White Bear Lake, this was my first time fishing in Minnesota and I didin't do too bad. 
Hey ya'll,
   I'm Jon, and I live in Shakopee.  The most of my life.  I have fished pretty much every lake in this state.  The ice is treating me pretty good.  Just yesterday I caught some crappies, sunnies, perch, and a decent northern in about four hours.  Hit up Carl's Lake (aka Mc Mahon).  I guess join the rest of the crowd, because it does get busy out there.  Just use up those crappie minnows and fatheads.  Good luck and catch ya later.
welcome to the shanty! ;D

Offline getn jiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #199 on: Feb 08, 2010, 04:21 PM »
Hey Guy's,
Name is Keith, I'll be 63 in May so I guess I be considered an "Oldtimer", still not used to that! Love fishing both hard and soft water, took my son up to LOW for first ice, I think he's been ruined for life we had our limit just after noon both days that lake is awsome!! Got a lot of good info from this site on tricking out portables, bought a Canvas Craft Magnum and put a carpeted lid with rod rack and such. Hoping to get out and get into some Perch on Leech next month. I live in Brainerd but thinking of moving further north, getting too busy around here!
45/70 Govt./ The only Govt. to be trusted.

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #200 on: Feb 08, 2010, 06:32 PM »
Hey Guy's,
Name is Keith, I'll be 63 in May so I guess I be considered an "Oldtimer", still not used to that! Love fishing both hard and soft water, took my son up to LOW for first ice, I think he's been ruined for life we had our limit just after noon both days that lake is awsome!! Got a lot of good info from this site on tricking out portables, bought a Canvas Craft Magnum and put a carpeted lid with rod rack and such. Hoping to get out and get into some Perch on Leech next month. I live in Brainerd but thinking of moving further north, getting too busy around here!
Welcome Keith, dont worry about being an oldtimer thats just means you have more knowledge to share. ;D

Offline getn jiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #201 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Hey Tommy,
That's what I keep telling my kid, he calls it "Dadvice", he says some of it is working though :o :o :o
45/70 Govt./ The only Govt. to be trusted.

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #202 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:44 AM »
Hey Tommy,
That's what I keep telling my kid, he calls it "Dadvice", he says some of it is working though :o :o :o
yeah i hear that, i'm 27 and it's amazing how smart my parents are turning out to be!  ::)  :thumbsup:

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #203 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:45 PM »
I'll be checking out MN ice fishing next week.  I have 5 days to fish. I'm staying in Lonsdale, MN with Retski. Where do I start? 

Offline minnesotafisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #204 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:47 PM »
Originally from Woodbury, MN now in Coleraine, MN up on the Iron Range. I fish Grand Rapids area lakes mainly. Just started ice fishing this year and it is very fun. I have been fishing from a boat since I was about 6, just never thought about ice fishing I guess. I love the sport and being outdoors! I especially love living up in northern Minnesota. As a matter of fact, I caught my  very first walleye on January 31st. Also caught a nice sized pike.

Last weekend my dad and I were fishing and he had about a 7 pound walleye (we estimated) on his line and it got off! We had been sitting there for five hours without a single bite using shiners and as we are just getting ready to leave, he's getting bites and then he sets the hook and reels it in and it swims directly under my hole. It was the biggest walleye I think I have ever seen! He had it in the hole and then it just flopped right off the hook before we could get it up. It was our adventure of the day I guess.

My dad and I seem to know where to fish for walleye now in the winter but we are unsure about pike. We have tried fishing specifically for pike in about 15' of water with shiners and using tip ups and rods but haven't been successful. I only caught that pike I posted a pic of by chance, it was just cruising along the bottom. Any advice on what to use/where to go to catch pike would be useful.

Sorry I made this post so long!

- minnesotafisherman

Offline bucksbud57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #205 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Morning! MAny years ago I spent a lot of time on this site as a chat room regular. We were plagued by troublemakers, and eventually the room was turned into a post only format. I was delighted to see that after many years live chat was again part of the program. I already spent a little time in the chat area, and was pleased to see that the old comraderie and joking are still part of this site. Felt right at home! As for myself, I live in the Park Rapids area, and fish year round. Walleye, perch, crappies....doesn't matter...all fair game. I'd be happy to swap info, post reports, and answer any questions if I can. I'm 53, have lived here for 30 years or so, and know a good deal about the area lakes.and maybe more importantly, know most of the better fishermen in the area. Feel free to drop me a line if I can help out....

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #206 on: Feb 13, 2010, 07:59 PM »
Welcome bucksbud57 ! 
Hard Ice

Offline Trev

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Trust yer jiggin hand!
« Reply #207 on: Feb 14, 2010, 10:34 PM »
Originally from Woodbury, MN now in Coleraine, MN up on the Iron Range. I fish Grand Rapids area lakes mainly. Just started ice fishing this year and it is very fun. I have been fishing from a boat since I was about 6, just never thought about ice fishing I guess. I love the sport and being outdoors! I especially love living up in northern Minnesota.

welcome to the Shanty minnesotafisherman! my family and i have 40 acres in forbes, a little south of Eveleth, i know you know where that is. its my vacation/hunting property. i plan on being there a lot this summer so shoot me a message if you need a drinkin buddy. i've also never ice fished any of the lakes around there... yet

Offline EMCS retired

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #208 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:11 PM »
Greetings Skipper and others.  Preston here, Fergus Falls area, new to Minne-Snow-Tah and new to ice fishing.  Grew up in the south, retired from the Navy a couple years ago and decided to try it up north for a while.  Looking to draw from the many years of experience of everyone here.

07 Polaris 500 Sportsman X2 w/chains
Otter Magnum sled
Killzone pop-up
Eskimo Stingray (8")
Big Buddy Heater
and a bunch of other Fleet Farm stuff

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #209 on: Feb 19, 2010, 05:35 AM »
Welcome to the shanty !
Hard Ice