Author Topic: iceshanty advise  (Read 1249 times)

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when i last saw you i was just a learner, but now i am the master
iceshanty advise
« on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:05 AM »
hey ive been a member of this forum for a short time now and i just wanted to tell you guys the advise is awesome.  I decided to go with a 30 lb main line with a 4 or 5 foot floro leader 25 lb test with a number 8 hook and one split shot for one of my tip ups the others were the same hook and sinker combo...but 1 had a steal leader and one was just mainline.  On the one with the floro leader i have caught a 22" largemouth (on a sucker) and a 36" northern(on a 6" perch).  Had another northern comrable to the 36" that got loose.   although he did not cut my line.  Being the bonehead i am i decided that for that day i could use one of my SNAP swivels instead of barrel.  bad idea.  that big boy pulled it completly straight and swam away.  Ive only been out with them 3 times!  i expect to get many more good fish this winter!!!
                                                                                                    Thors icefishing stats:  nothing   yet!!!

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
Re: iceshanty advise
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2006, 11:09 AM »
Use a crosslock swivel if you want to use a snap swivel.  They are a little more expensive but they're worth every penny when you land a big one.  I use Berkley professional ball bearing crosslocks.
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: iceshanty advise
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2006, 11:30 AM »
JUST MY .02 but I don't use any swivels at all !
Too much of a risk . All I do is tie on a snap ring and put the hook on that .
It's a little more work but I haven't ever lost a fish this way . Tie a good knot with an invisa leader ,remove the swivel ,put the snap ring on the loop where the swivel was and with a good set you wont loose a fish !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.